Product Review - Scorpion EXO-1000 Helmet

Kuyarico

Coast to Coast
07Exo1000SolidMatteBlk.jpg

I just purchased the EXO-1000 on the recommendation of my trusted parts guy over at BMW of Cleveland. He based his recommendation on my complaints about my current helmet, an HJC CL-15. The HJC was too big and allowed for a slight amount of movement when riding. I had originally tried a size medium and found the vice like fitment to be a bit extreme. The other issue with the HJC was the fogging. Every helmet that I've owned fogged, but this one was the worst. My last complaint was the excessive wind noise. I started to ride with earplugs, which eventually proved to be most uncomfortable. So, is the Scorpion the answer to my helmet woes? Read on... I have to say that it is a good looking helmet. I got mine in a matte black, since I'm not much for funky graphics. Although the vents are very solidly built, I didn't have a chance to use them much since the outside temperature was around 30(farenheit).
The Scorpion has a built in pump system which reminded me of the Reebok Pump shoes which were all the rage back in grade school. I have to say that the pump system is effective. The pump and release valve are located at the base of the chin area of the helmet. Usage of the system is easy. Slap the helmet on, give it a few pumps and you're ready to go. The pump system gets an A. One thing that I did notice was that the opening at the bottom of the helmet is a bit tight. Upon putting the helmet on, my ears felt a bit raw. Once the helmet is secure and pumped, it is very comfortable. One of the interesting features of the Scorpion is the Maverick and Goose style interior sun visor. I happened to be riding on a pretty sunny day, so it was a opportune time to test this feature. There is a small lever near the left side face shield release. Pull the lever back and a sun visor comes down. This feature will be especially helpful on morning commutes. I often have to stop and put sunglasses on as the sun rises. I was a bit disappointed by the tint on the sun visor. It is a gray smoke color but not quite dark enough to be completely effective on it's own in heavy sunlight. I give the sun visor a B+. Other color visors are available for around $10.
One of my complaints with the HJC was the excessive wind noise. The Scorpion was slightly, but not much better. Upon inspecting the helmet, you will find exceptional build quality, but also a lot of little nooks and crannies which contribute to the overall wind noise. The Scorpion gets an C- in this department. What about my other complaint of fogging? Did the Scorpion fog? The answer is no. In the three chilly rides, the Scorpion stayed relatively clear. I was able purposefully make the helmet fog, but with normal usage, it was clear sailing. A+ And finally, upon researching the Scorpion, I read reviews stating that the feature rich helmet was a bit on the heavy side. I'm on my 4th helmet and this one does not seem any heavier than the others. I had no issues with the helmet's weight. But if you're sensitive to weight, then this helmet may not be for you.
In conclusion, is the Scorpion EXO 1000 the be all, end all helmet for the masses? In short, no. However, it is the best helmet that I have owned. It scores high points with it's comfort and looks. The reduced fogging is a huge plus. The sun visor is swell. I'll still need earplugs due to the wind noise, but I can deal with that. One thing that I didn't mention was the overall value. I paid around $320 with tax for the matte black helmet. Value wise, this helmet is the best bang for your buck. ET(aka kuyarico)

I forgot to mention that this helmet is not nearly as pretty as Dr J's old school metal flake helmets! ;D

Great write-up Kuyarico, thanks. I can't afford the 1000 but I have ordered the EXO-400 for myself. Hopefully it will be good. Like you, I don't like anything too flashy so I ordered a matte black as well.

BTW - Thanks admins for putting this new section up, should be good.

I've got a Exo700, had it all season long and still love it.

I had the same experience with the raw-ears feeling. I'm not sure if its me being a new rider and never knowing what any other helmets felt like. But it went away for me a month or two after owning/riding the helmet. (Foam breaking in?)

I've TRIED so hard to fog those visors. And I've got to say, its hard. If the visor is cracked and you're moving at all, its pretty much impossible to fog those visors.

If you can pick one up for a good deal, I'd definitely recommend a Exo-400/700/1000. Safe, great value, good graphics on most of them, and a nice overall fit.

Back
Top Bottom