H4 Bulb Headlight conversion on CB350 - not recommended

Vince Lupo said:
I just replaced the sealed beam unit on my '66 Honda CB77 SuperHawk, and it's been great so far. I got the kit from Cycle Seductions (www.cycleseductions.com), and then found the 'low wattage' 35/35 bulb from Scooterworks. The only issue I had was all the extra braketry on the back of the unit which had to be removed - I think the kit was meant for a CB400f, but it's the same size (162mm) as the SuperHawk.

Vince, I tried going to the cycle seductions website, no-go . Is there a different site possibley ? I would like to run the bike without having to do the "Rick's" change out first.

Hey so I'm looking to revive this thread!
I was wondering about people's experiences on this issue. Right now with gas around $4.00 my CB350 is looking like a great morning commuter, but I want to upgrade the headlight & the blinkers.
I'm running a a stock 71' CB350, I'm looking at the H4 35W 4500K Bulb from Sharphid (http://store.sharphid.com/product_p/ddmhidmc.htm)

My questions are: How much of a pain in the ass is the installation because I can't find a good install guide or DIY thread? Second, because the H4 bulbs need more juice to start up will I need the additional HID direct battery wiring hardness? Fourth & final, I'm looking to install LED's for the blinkers and for the tail light...will this impact the electrical system at all?

I'm about a 5 to a 6 on the mechanical scale I've rebuilt everything else in the bike from the clutch to the cylinder heads (not always at the first try ;) ) but the sparky things have always confused me.

Thanks guys,
Colin

1971 CB350 H4

If you replace your headlight with an assembly that uses a standard H4 bulb, then a 35w bulb is just a plug and play type mod. I think the original headlight is 35w anyway, correct?

Upgrading your tail light to led's will only help your electrical system. Your turn signals on the other hand will need a new relay as well - and your indicator lights might need some work too. Usually just wire in a diode.

Good tip on the SharpHID site, that would work nicely for my CX upgrades.

As far as LED swaps, you can find lots of drop in replacement LED "bulbs" online and ebay. You will generally have to swap in some LED compatible flasher relays though.

This should get you going in the right direction, even though it's for CX500 stuff specifically, I'm pretty sure these bulb sizes are the same for many Honda bikes.

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/LedBulbs.html

Great! Thanks for the information...I literally tore my bike down to the wheels & the engine last week so I'm literally knee deep in it right now.

I ordered all my new lights, my 35W (Hi/Lo) from Sharp Hid with the Battery link & 4 LED turn signals and brake light from SuperbrightLED's.

My only regret is not labeling the three idiot lights in the bulbs, it wouldn't be a big deal if the wiring diagram matched up...but it doesn't. :/ I'll figure it out though

I'll just wait to put in the LED Diodes when I get it all back together. I'll post when I'm done.

Sharp Hid: Not Recomended

Hey boys,
I normally don't do this, but I need to rant about a company (Sharp HID). I bought a Sharp HID light the 35w/55w system with dual brightness (Hi/Lo). and the shit doesn't work. All the connections are solid and it was installed to spec. The dual brightness feature doesn't work & every time the bike goes over a bump the headlight goes out (you can turn it back on...but who the hell wants to bother with that?) To make matters worse I've written Sharp HID about once a week since early August and called at least that much with no reply. It sucks because I don't like to ride when it's dark out incase the light goes out. I spent about $90.00 on the upgrade & I would atleast expect some response back.
The HID lights are brighter, that's for sure, but if you really want one I would recommend taking your business to somewhere other than Sharp Hid.
That's all I got.

http://www.sharphid.com/product_p/slimhidmc.htm

Re: Sharp Hid: Not Recomended

cgguy09 said:
Hey boys,
I normally don't do this, but I need to rant about a company (Sharp HID). I bought a Sharp HID light the 35w/55w system with dual brightness (Hi/Lo). and the shit doesn't work. All the connections are solid and it was installed to spec. The dual brightness feature doesn't work & every time the bike goes over a bump the headlight goes out (you can turn it back on...but who the hell wants to bother with that?) To make matters worse I've written Sharp HID about once a week since early August and called at least that much with no reply. It sucks because I don't like to ride when it's dark out incase the light goes out. I spent about $90.00 on the upgrade & I would atleast expect some response back.
The HID lights are brighter, that's for sure, but if you really want one I would recommend taking your business to somewhere other than Sharp Hid.
That's all I got.

http://www.sharphid.com/product_p/slimhidmc.htm

Hey Team,
Wanted to give an update on this...a little late admittedly. But I worked with the SHARPHID company & they sent me a new light...it took a ton of phone calls to get a return call, but when they did call back they were pretty good.
I got the new system & installed the bulb. Everything checks out 6 months later. Light is as bright as the sun which seems to piss off some drivers, but so long as they see me, I don't care.

Hit me up if you have other questions.

I still think this was easier, cut a hole in original reflector, JB Weld a 35/35 H4 bulb (less than $15.00 off e-bay)
Headlight2.jpg

I had the same idea but wanted to be able to swap out the bulb. (Seems pointless to just make a permanent conversion since you'd have to replace the whole thing anyway, the next time it runs out)

I removed the inner bulb and filament from my original cb350 bulb (5-3/4") and spliced on the mounting from a modern H4 bulb.

Had to file open the hole in the back to get just the right size to fit the base of the H4 bulb but it was worth it. I now have a completely stock-looking bulb from the front and nice, clean H4 housing on the backside.

Note: the second photo shows it before I used JB weld to attach the mount. It now sits flush with the back of the original housing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 630
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 648
Just Dremel through the JB Weld if needed and glue a new one in
I would fit the correct holder if I could remember where I stashed the ones I pulled from broken H4 headlights

I modded the this old dt shell to accept the entire h4 assembly from my datsun 620 stash. I've had no problems but it is an SR500.
null_zpsea083285.jpg

Back
Top Bottom