Biltwell Gringo

MattIn11225

Yesterday I received my new Biltwell Gringo in Vintage White, shipped without trouble, as always, by Revzilla. I also purchased a Biltwell Bubble Shield in clear to go with it.

First impressions:

The Vintage White is significantly more cream colored than the white I've seen in the pictures, and this is a good thing. It fits very well with the vintage look, and I was worried that it might be too bright a white. Thankfully, not so, it's just the perfect off-white color.

It's much much smaller than my Bell Vortex, and doesn't make me feel as much like Daft Punk or a Power Ranger. It sits well, and with a jacket, it has a great proportion to it. It's not too heavy, and the materials feel very nice, especially the soft interior liner.

The fit is very good, my Bell and the Gringo are in medium, and they are both "right". Where I have to pull the Bell over my head, however, the Gringo slips right over, due to the opening not being "pinched" like on modern helmets. This was initially disconcerting, I thought it might be too big, but once it sat on my head and was properly seated, it was just fine. The only fitment issue I have is that the shin straps mount a bit further back in the helmet than I'd like, and when it's all buckled, the strap is just slightly chocking. However, after about 5 minutes riding, I no longer noticed.

I chose to wear the bubble shield as I just like the way that looks. I was initially worried that it would be way too hot and fog up due to a lack of venting, but I was pleasantly surprised. Even in the congestion that is NYC, stop and go, about 80 degrees, I didn't get any fogging, and with the larger opening around the neck, it vented just fine. At speed, the airflow is pleasant, but there is a rushing sound around the edges of the shield, but this was to be expected. One thing I definitely noticed: I can hear the bike and everything else much clearer, due to the open nature of the helmet.

I love the way this thing looks, and unless I'm on the highway, I can see this becoming my main helmet, just for bombing around in Brooklyn. I look forward to seeing about getting some basic pin-striping done at some point. It exudes the same sort of style as the 3/4 helmets, but with the added protection of the chin-bar. It doesn't hurt that it's still relatively new and you don't see them everywhere.

Ultimately, it's no Arai or Shoei, but it's not trying to be. Is it style over substance? Of course it is. But I ride a vintage bike, a choice that definitely has its roots in a particular style that I'm trying to project. It won't be for everyone, but I think it'll be a great option for those who are concerned with style (and that's okay!), and want the protection that you don't get from a 3/4.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 6,390
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 6,385
  • BRpTq05CIAA9ZL8.jpg
    BRpTq05CIAA9ZL8.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,065
That thing is sweet.

Spider helmet, spider helmet, does whatever a spider helmet does.
Can it swing from a web? No it cant, its a helmet loookouuuuuuuut
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuZqG57rNDM

The reason I haven't bought this exact helmet and shield yet, is that I have suspicions that the full faced shape is completely for aesthetics, and won't actually offer much more protection for my chin than a 3/4 helmet... Do you feel like it sits on your head in away that the helmet will actually do something for your chin in the event (God forbid) that you fly over the bars? All the reviews I find talk about the way it looks, but I don't need someone to tell me how cool it looks (I already know!), I want to see someone strap a water melon in there and throw it at a wall... The one guy I've seen wearing one in person has a gnarly beard, and I couldn't tell where his chin was in relation to the helmet- do you feel like you're hanging out the bottom at all, or like the front of the helmet is going to contact your chin or even crumble when it takes a blow? I'm getting ready to buy another helmet, and if I don't get myself sold on this one, I'm going power ranger status with a Shoei or Arai... Which will suck to do, riding a 1973 Bonneville...

AndrewDoesHair said:
The reason I haven't bought this exact helmet and shield yet, is that I have suspicions that the full faced shape is completely for aesthetics, and won't actually offer much more protection for my chin than a 3/4 helmet... Do you feel like it sits on your head in away that the helmet will actually do something for your chin in the event (God forbid) that you fly over the bars? All the reviews I find talk about the way it looks, but I don't need someone to tell me how cool it looks (I already know!), I want to see someone strap a water melon in there and throw it at a wall... The one guy I've seen wearing one in person has a gnarly beard, and I couldn't tell where his chin was in relation to the helmet- do you feel like you're hanging out the bottom at all, or like the front of the helmet is going to contact your chin or even crumble when it takes a blow? I'm getting ready to buy another helmet, and if I don't get myself sold on this one, I'm going power ranger status with a Shoei or Arai... Which will suck to do, riding a 1973 Bonneville...

Here is a picture from another website of a guy wearing one.. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it.. Even on a older bike..

large_257_gringo_white_2.jpg

Hey Guys,

Update to answer some questions: I definitely feel as if the chin bar would take a pretty solid whack, but probably would act no more than a crumple zone if you went over the bars. Still, significantly more protective than a 3/4 in a low-speed get-off. I say this based on my assumptions, and I don't really know what Biltwell or helmet manufactures have to go through to get that DOT cert.

Regarding the picture, I do not understand why this is the press-shot. The guy is wearing the helmet tilted back quite a ways, exposing his chin. When I wear my Bell Vision, if I open my mouth, my chin just baaarely extends below the protective lip at the bottom of the helmet, and when I wear the Biltwell, it feels about the same. However, when I wear the Biltwell with a bubble shield, you can see my note, unlike the guy in the pic. He just needs to pull that thing forward a bit.

Bottom line: Around Brooklyn and the rest of the city? The Biltwell. If I'm even thinking about getting on the highway? Something a bit more substantial.

I recently got one of these and shall add my thoughts...

Overall first impressions were 1) it looks knarly, no denying that. The closest you can get to a vintage full face with modern safety (that isn't $£$£$ expensive) 2) the interior padding and liner are lovely and soft and doesn't feel too 'rigid' like you get with brand new helmets...it already feels a bit worn-in - which is nice. I wear glasses/perscription sunglasses and the helmet doesn't pinch them into your head! 3) The chin strip can sometimes feel high, like in the picture, but only if you let it sit high on your face, a quick pull down on the chin piece once on gets it in the right position. 4) I'd say the extra protection over a 3/4 is massive. A faceplant with one of these on is definitely gonna leave your face better off. Plus, the thing IS DOT approved so it must be solid enough. 5) I went for the titanium color and it is a good shade and flawless in finish. 6) Visibility. There is definitely less visibility than with a standard helmet but you just have to move your head a fraction more to make up for it. I'll always prefer an open-face as you just can't beat that level of visibility, but on colder days, or higher speeds... it's reassuring to have a bit more protected!

So, if I was to score:

Looks: 9/10 - as long as you pull it down so your chin don't hang out
Fit: 8/10 - I take a Large size and it's spot on. The chin strap is a bit far back but you soon forget
Finish: 10/10 - mine arrived faultless.
Strength: 9/10 - it passed DOT so must be okay
Safety: 8/10 - the foam liner I'm guessing is as thin as you can go before losing DOT, and the chin piece is just the shell really
Visibility: 7/10 - theres no denying it feels a little 'blinkered' but thats the nature of vintage design

Which I think gives a mean total of about 8.5/10. I currently have trimmed my helmet selection down to just this one and a Biltwell Hustler as between the 2, I have everything I need. Although I do need a visor at some point

I love mine and haven't touched my other full face helmets since I got it this summer. It fits my XL "long oval head shape" as well as the $600 Arai lids that are specifically built for that. I think visibility is excellent compared to modern full face helmets and I feel much more in tune with my surroundings. It's super light and feels much safer than a 3/4. I agree that the press shot does not show true fit.

This helmet is best for limited highway use and I would not reccomend it for winter.
null_zpsf126c7b1.jpg

I've got one of these too. It definitely fits comfortably. I haven't bought a shield for it, how well does that stay on? I've heard complaints about the shields on Biltwell's 3/4s

The bubble shield is solid on mine....had it up to 110mph.....on my old XR1200....not the gorilla in the picture.

Re: Re: Biltwell Gringo

iGreek said:
Love the way it looks, but that picture above is kind of scary looking.

I just got mine in the mail recently, chin does not stick out like that. Its just the way he's wearing it.

Everything in that press shot looks stupid! The helmet fitting, the too-small bike, the retarded bars! Why would they pick that shot to promote their product?! But, as always, try it before you buy it, if you can.

Back
Top Bottom