1975 CB550 - trip hazard phase1

More parts coming in:

Sweet sparto rear light from Big_Rich and bronze swingarm bushings from an sohc4 member.

Attachments

• cb550_shinybits1.JPG
    cb550_shinybits1.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 988
Just ordered the CK2 kit from Vintage Connections and some rolls of primary wire from Del City. I still need to find a fuse panel I like and a few cool switches and such. New parts are piling up.

Thanks Carpy.

Good news. I've got another set of 550 forks on the way from another builder. For alot less than new tubes. He's also got them rebuilt and offered to drop in the progressive springs before shipping. So cool. Also got that spare set of carbs I wanted. Parts pile is looking better.

So I'm getting my intake system together. The bike came with this K&N filter mod. I'll replace the filter and use this setup to get the bike going.

Attachments

• cb550_intake_mock.JPG
    cb550_intake_mock.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 305
Got an SOHC CB650 cam and tach drive. Wanted that extra oomph.

Attachments

• newstuff_cam_n_drive.JPG
    newstuff_cam_n_drive.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 308
Not much to update over the weekend. Started rust removal with with wire wheel on the front rim. Also screwed up the front bearing retainer because I must be a noob. Looking for a replacement.

Been stalled, family stuff, all good. Today I decided to wrestle a lump of metal. Starting to make progress again. Time to start reading about the inside of this thing again..

Attachments

• 550_engineout.JPG
    550_engineout.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 324
  • 550_engineout2.JPG
    550_engineout2.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 305
Yeah, so the 550 build is really stalled. I'm still researching parts, specs, engine tolerances, etc... Need a few tools and I'm looking for the right place to send the heads off to for any necessary valve and possible porting work.

The reason it's slowed down so much is this: I bought this last week and have been busy putting miles on it and wrenches to it...

Attachments

• tumblr_mlzki8mduL1rszcafo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mlzki8mduL1rszcafo1_1280.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 333
Minor update. Picked up a set of CB750A forks from a guy in AZ. They are about 1 inch longer than the stock forks. They also have mounts for dual front discs. I'll get pics up when I can.

I began engine teardown this evening. Cylinder bore looks great, no scoring. Need more eyes on a few things. Valves, rings, cam lobe looks pitted. Thoughts?

I'm pretty seriously considering sending out the head for valve work, porting, etc.. Would love recommendations.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• cb550_headNvalves.JPG
    cb550_headNvalves.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 317
  • cb550_pistons.JPG
    cb550_pistons.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 314
  • cb550-camlobe.JPG
    cb550-camlobe.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 360
  • cb550_bagNtag.JPG
    cb550_bagNtag.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 355
I'd get the head gone through at the least since you have it apart and that cam is pitted. I would replace the cam also. On my phone so can't comment on the other photos. The cylinders look good could probably get away with reusing the rings

Carpy said:
I'd get the head gone through at the least since you have it apart and that cam is pitted. I would replace the cam also. On my phone so can't comment on the other photos. The cylinders look good could probably get away with reusing the rings

I'm looking for places to do the head and valves now. As for the cam, I'll post up a pic of the lobes on the 650 cam I have tonight. I'm not sure I wanted to re-use the rings. I've heard of plenty of folks doing so but I'm thinking if I'm already in here, why wouldn't I want to besides the $?

Thanks!

The R10 came out of the 550 and the R9 came from an sohc 650.

Attachments

• cb550_camlobes2.JPG
    cb550_camlobes2.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 342
canyoncarver said:
The R10 came out of the 550 and the R9 came from an sohc 650.

I know it's been a while, but how's this coming along. I've got 2 seized CB500/550's right now and haven't started to crack them open yet. Interested in this CB650 cam...just in case! ;)

MotorbikeBruno said:

I know it's been a while, but how's this coming along. I've got 2 seized CB500/550's right now and haven't started to crack them open yet. Interested in this CB650 cam...just in case! ;)

Hey Bruno...Yeah. It's been stalled due to other project stuff. I started playing with the Harley a bunch after it blew it's ignition. I found a local guy who is an amazing HD builder. He's 5 minutes away in my neighborhood. Talked to him yesterday, one man shop, super nice guy. He's busy though as he's a featured builder at Born Free. http://www.atomic-custom.com/ Just the guy I need to help me go through the shovelhead.

I've got a guy that does well respected head work at a fair price. Mike Rieck over at the sohc4 forums. I'm going to send him my 550 heads and both cams to get a pro to look over things and give me the right recommendations to put it back together. Need some cash to do it though. I'm working on selling my un-titled KZ650 stuff. 3 frames, 2 motors, wheels, etc.... I've also got the tach drive for the 650 cam if I decide to sell it. I'll probably use a digital tach if I use the 650 cam for mine. If I decide not to use the 650 cam and tach drive, you have first dibs....

canyoncarver said:
Hey Bruno...Yeah. It's been stalled due to other project stuff. I started playing with the Harley a bunch after it blew it's ignition. I found a local guy who is an amazing HD builder. He's 5 minutes away in my neighborhood. Talked to him yesterday, one man shop, super nice guy. He's busy though as he's a featured builder at Born Free. http://www.atomic-custom.com/ Just the guy I need to help me go through the shovelhead.

I've got a guy that does well respected head work at a fair price. Mike Rieck over at the sohc4 forums. I'm going to send him my 550 heads and both cams to get a pro to look over things and give me the right recommendations to put it back together. Need some cash to do it though. I'm working on selling my un-titled KZ650 stuff. 3 frames, 2 motors, wheels, etc.... I've also got the tach drive for the 650 cam if I decide to sell it. I'll probably use a digital tach if I use the 650 cam for mine. If I decide not to use the 650 cam and tach drive, you have first dibs....

Rock on, I haven't cracked either of the engines open yet, so I haven't the slightest clue of how the engine looks inside...but judging from the amazing amount they are seized...i'd say rough shape...

I was lucky, mine moved freely, nothing stuck inside. Cylinder walls looked pretty good. Overall heads looked good too. A small amount of oil starvation pitting on one of the rockers and cam lobe but I "think" I'll only have to replace one of the rockers.

So......time to revive my build thread. My wife and I just got back from Barber and she really wants this little bike now that she can visualize it. Lots of really cool bikes for inspiration there. That's a good thing.

Winter is coming and it's time to order parts. Stuff I'll order first:

- Full engine gasket kit - need source
- tapered steering bearings
- front wheel bearings and retainer/seal
- rear wheel bearings

I don't have compressor or place to do my own soda/media blasting at this time so I need to find a shop around here for that.

Back
Top Bottom