1975 CB550 - trip hazard phase1

canyoncarver said:
I've been down with the damn stomach flu for days. It blows. I finally felt well enough to hit the grinder a bit today. Probably shouldn't have but I was getting restless. Have not fully decided on keeping or cutting the center stand.

Also thanks Bruno for the kind offer but I've decided I'm not going with an original style seat setup.

Not a problem. Lookin' good so far!

Another build thread to follow....fiiinnneee!! Nice work so far. I have a '71 CB500 that I am currently working on and I may pick up a '75 CB550F this weekend if I get lucky. Keep up the good work.

Thanks guys! It's going slow but I'll be ordering alot of gaskets and other parts after the holidays are done. Hope to get the top end work done early next month.

Hey man. It looked like you were working on replacing the wheel bearings. I am trying to replace the wheel bearings on my 76 CB550. So far I only got to the front wheel. I don't have a bearing retainer wrench, but I saw quite a few people making their own, just out of something to fit into the cut outs in the retainer ring to spin it. So I did the same, I got it to spin but only about 1/8 turn then it seems to bind up and stop spinning. If I force it a bit, it just ends up chewing up the cut outs in retainer. I have the Clymer and shop manual, neither really give me much instruction on how to remove the retainer ring. I know the rear is reverse threaded because it's mentioned in the manuals, but nothing about the front.

Before I destroy the retainer ring even more, can you give me any advice on how to remove them?

Sorry for asking this on your build thread, but the question seemed some what relevant since you seemed to have worked on that area recently.

Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance man!

titan5699 said:
Hey man. It looked like you were working on replacing the wheel bearings. I am trying to replace the wheel bearings on my 76 CB550. So far I only got to the front wheel. I don't have a bearing retainer wrench, but I saw quite a few people making their own, just out of something to fit into the cut outs in the retainer ring to spin it. So I did the same, I got it to spin but only about 1/8 turn then it seems to bind up and stop spinning. If I force it a bit, it just ends up chewing up the cut outs in retainer. I have the Clymer and shop manual, neither really give me much instruction on how to remove the retainer ring. I know the rear is reverse threaded because it's mentioned in the manuals, but nothing about the front.

Before I destroy the retainer ring even more, can you give me any advice on how to remove them?

Sorry for asking this on your build thread, but the question seemed some what relevant since you seemed to have worked on that area recently.

Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance man!

No worries - ask away...

Yep, basically I screwed up the front retainer ring getting it out. I used a BFH and a punch. Fortunately new retainers are available cheap. If I was a more patient person I would have made/used a proper tool for removing the retainer correctly. A bit of heat helps, so does PB Blaster. Sorry I didn't have a more enlightened answer. ;-)

As for the back, I'm taking to a friend who has the right tool to get the retainer off.

canyoncarver said:
No worries - ask away...

Yep, basically I screwed up the front retainer ring getting it out. I used a BFH and a punch. Fortunately new retainers are available cheap. If I was a more patient person I would have made/used a proper tool for removing the retainer correctly. A bit of heat helps, so does PB Blaster. Sorry I didn't have a more enlightened answer. ;-)

As for the back, I'm taking to a friend who has the right tool to get the retainer off.

Thanks man! I tried the hammer and punch method first, thats when I realized Im going to fuck something up while doing this.. but that wasn't enough to stop me from doing more damage! lol Im thinking Im going to have to take them to a shop who has the tool so I don't destroy the rear as well, but its good to hear that they are available.

Can you remember if the front retainer is reverse threaded like the back or is it the normal lefty loosey-righty tighty?

As it binds whe loosening it tighten it back up, then spray with pb/wd-40. Then loosen n tighten then spray. Repeat til it comes off.

Got the hub apart yesterday. I finally was smart enough to drill out those little locking-punch marks. Also ordered a tool and a new retainer ring, much easier with the right tools and know-how lol. Got the new bearings and retainer ring in, masked up and ready for painting. Get it laced up to the new rim and on to the rear for the same treatment.

Glad you got yours sorted out Titan. What tool for the rear did you get?

I just bought a lift, a gas welding setup, a mig welder and an assortment of other tools and work tables. Scored a bunch of used stuff from a guy downsizing his life. There went my January budget but at least now I have what I need to weld the gussets for the frame.

canyoncarver said:

I just bought a lift, a gas welding setup, a mig welder and an assortment of other tools and work tables. Scored a bunch of used stuff from a guy downsizing his life. There went my January budget but at least now I have what I need to weld the gussets for the frame.
congrats n kick ass

canyoncarver said:

Lucky man, I wish I could get a set up like that.

I didn't get to the rear yet, I bought a tool for the front hub. I got it off of ebay from someone in the UK, but they did have the same tool for the rear.

Junior, man, I'd love to come out and visit your shop this summer and maybe moto around the Ft. Worth area. That SR is cool as hell. I'm thinking you could build me a really unique alloy front 1/4 fairing for this 550.

I've got all this gear, now to practice on non-bike stuff so I don't burn holes in 30+ year old frames.

Junior, do you tig everything or what's your favorite welding process for bike frames?

I'm going to make the seat myself. I know my build of this 550 isn't about speed. I'm trying learn all I can and do as much of it myself as possible.

Thanks!!Sounds like a plan!!! I usually tack the pieces with the mig n finish weld with the tig.

So true. Since my last update:

Had my stepdaughter and grandson living with us for a month:

Fought off alien horde:

[edit] Took a welding class at the community college:

Daughter wrecked my truck (she's fine):

Lost two good old dogs, gained a new pup:

Got the shovel mostly running and got in a ride with Dad:

And because this 550 is taking so long, I had to get my wife a new bike:

Attachments

• grandson.jpg
    grandson.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 325