1974 CB550 Brafobber?... Yet another Honda

So we go for a shake down run. With no seat upholstery.

1e1f2f4ebedf048f764d9c2948eeb788_zps7303254f.jpg

Runs pretty good. I can definitely tell the carbs sat open for a month. A little spitty until warmed up.

http://s1161.photobucket.com/user/volthause/media/DBA9DAFE-7E76-4B37-A0F2-012833542B79-8866-00000BA1BC3949E6_zps17c62764.mp4.html

But now we sit in the garage and drink beer.

b0fe6f0ad83f16222dfaf9c4e8a6b48c_zpsce76c2e4.jpg

0d5439f6b3289a32ace8841fac4a1bcf_zps7ec14c72.jpg

Did the final wet sanding last night and then applied the satin clear coat.

Holy shit balls.

ed17bcc72a57635a5a38360ae39e2eb6_zps50e2392e.jpg

That's not going to be good.

Great build! I have a '74 CB550 awaiting a good beat-down with the chop saw... "awaiting" is the key word here!

Any ways, as per your paint issues. I would imagine you cleaned all of that stuff up with some varsol/paint thinner before applying that coat? Just wanting to state the obvious of course... hahaha...

I am committed to watching your build... I dig the white/black combo. Not something you see everyday but sure will turn some heads!

barfass said:
Great build! I have a '74 CB550 awaiting a good beat-down with the chop saw... "awaiting" is the key word here!

Any ways, as per your paint issues. I would imagine you cleaned all of that stuff up with some varsol/paint thinner before applying that coat? Just wanting to state the obvious of course... hahaha...

I am committed to watching your build... I dig the white/black combo. Not something you see everyday but sure will turn some heads!

Yeah cleaned it all up, same as the tank and side covers. This is the only problem spot. I'm wondering if the paint hadn't cured yet, even though it's over a week old. Ah well, nothing that time, sand paper, and some more paint won't fix!

Thanks for the comments!

Hey Volthause,

Not want to be the partycrasher, but i'm quite sure she rides like liquid shit.. No rear shocks on a frame that was designed to have them, shortened front forks with zero travel... the list goes on. I hope you thought about those things?

Bert Jan said:
Hey Volthause,

Not want to be the partycrasher, but i'm quite sure she rides like liquid shit.. No rear shocks on a frame that was designed to have them, shortened front forks with zero travel... the list goes on. I hope you thought about those things?

No party crashed here man. It rides rough, turns in weird, stops like shit and is slow.

But it was that way BEFORE I even modified it. Because it's a 1974 Honda. I've got a 800 pound Victory Cross Country bagger that rides circles around this bike, riding 2-up with a weekends worth of luggage in the bags, even when the Honda was in mint condition.

Because it's a 1974 Honda.

The idea that all bikes need to be all things is like filling up a tool box with multi-tools.

Sometimes you just want a hammer. This is my hammer.

So yeah, it rides rough, turns in weird, stops like shit and is slow, and I love every last minute of it.

Thanks for the comments!

volthause said:
No party crashed here man. It rides rough, turns in weird, stops like shit and is slow.

But it was that way BEFORE I even modified it. Because it's a 1974 Honda. I've got a 800 pound Victory Cross Country bagger that rides circles around this bike, riding 2-up with a weekends worth of luggage in the bags, even when the Honda was in mint condition.

The idea that all bikes need to be all things is like filling up a tool box with multi-tools.

So yeah, it rides rough, turns in weird, stops like shit and is slow, and I love every last minute of it.

Thanks for the comments!
haha +1

volthause said:

Thanks for the comments!

here! here!

Well put.................................................darn thing is kewl!!!!!!!

Thanks for the comments!

Now I'm looking for exhaust ideas. It's got a 4 into 1 megaphone which is alright, but I'm looking for something... cooler? I'd like it a little kicked up but I don't think I'm wanting "high" pipes... although that might actually be kind of cool.

Seat pan is on the way to New Church for leather and foam. 2 to 3 week turn around on that. I should have gotten that ball rolling earlier.

I haven't updated this in a while. Since I started the project I moved to a new house without a garage, but I got it in running and riding condition before moving. She now lives at a friends house while a garage is built at the new house. Anyhow here are some updated pics with seat upholstery by New Church Moto.

9ac21bb86d675818c2a23117e5265c9c_zps4b752002.jpg

08c3c28342e063c75519de458f8b5768_zpsf78e8883.jpg

Back
Top Bottom