Anybody know what this tank is off of?

ridesolo

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
Pretty ugly and way too trashed and rusty inside to use, I was thinking of using it as a filler neck transplant donor for another tank. Anybody know what it's from? It is really big, about the biggest MC tank I've ever seen. I can do more pix if necessary.

So I did a google image search on the first picture.....

Didn't find any motorcycle related results... But I would not recommend doing an image search on it.

Brodie said:

Didn't find any motorcycle related results... But I would not recommend doing an image search on it.

Ha! I'll take your word for it...

ridesolo said:
Pretty ugly and way too trashed and rusty inside to use, I was thinking of using it as a filler neck transplant donor for another tank. Anybody know what it's from? It is really big, about the biggest MC tank I've ever seen. I can do more pix if necessary.

No wonder nobody knew what it is; relatively unpopular bike and not a big seller. '91 - '93 Suzuki GSX1100G.

web-DSC02258.jpg

Yep, that's it. I had a part time job in a Honda/Suzuki dealership near Plattsburg, NY in the early 90s and remember when those came out. I kept thinking the thing looked a little familiar but I couldn't remember what it was. I found the pix of one for sale on eBay and it all clicked.

DohcBikes said:
I spent more time than I care to admit trying to find the answer.

Nice work.

Appreciate that. I know the feeling... I started searching tanks on eBay: Yamaha tank 1000, then 1100, than Suzuki tank 1000, then 1100... struck pay dirt soon into the 1100s... was pretty sure it wasn't Honda or Kawi, checked out the Busa because of the size, and then determined that it had a Zook look to it.

ridesolo said:
Appreciate that. I know the feeling... I started searching tanks on eBay: Yamaha tank 1000, then 1100, than Suzuki tank 1000, then 1100... struck pay dirt soon into the 1100s... was pretty sure it wasn't Honda or Kawi, checked out the Busa because of the size, and then determined that it had a Zook look to it.

ok, now that you know you have a tank that is worth around didty cents in scrap metal, what do you plan to do with it,

barnett468 said:
ok, now that you know you have a tank that is worth around didty cents in scrap metal, what do you plan to do with it,

Good question. I knew it was a piece of crap when I got it, but I only wanted the filler fixture to transplant into another tank. The rest goes to the scrapper. As it sits there if you sort of thump it there are actually clouds of rust dust. I used some stripper on one side this morning to see if there was still a name under the paint... I can't tell you now many coats of paint came off before I got to metal. What a mess. There's some wire around the mounts, I think maybe somebody used it as wall art for a while.

barnett468 said:
hey, you can put some tinted glass on the front and use it for a welding helmet.
smiley-laughing013.gif

Nah, too big for that... I was thinking of putting it in the water to use as a boat!

Brodie said:

lmfao that was the same thing I did...

Back
Top Bottom