Where do you work, what do you do?

Its fascinating all the really great positions everyone has, what a colorful group of talented people!

So here's my story. Original plan was architecture, ever since the early early years. That didn't pan out so I ended up majoring in Anthropology. Lived for a few months on the Navajo lands in Arizona/New Mexico about 16 years back. Then decided I'd had enough of school and moved to Toronto for an entry-level job in the telecom industry (data entry etc.). A year later ended up running a small division of our company dedicated to providing billing services to small start-up telco's.

Fast forward 15 years and I'm responsible for the billing services at a major telecom service provider here in Canada. So another 'desk' job, but I don't spend much time sitting at my desk. Mostly running around figuring out what we're going to do next. Graphic design, ID etc. were all at the top of the list back in the day. I sent away for the literature from the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena CA, where all the top car designers at the time were coming out of. Quickly realized my skills were not up to snuff and my destiny lay elsewhere (that and the $32,000 tuition back in the early 90's were the determining factors).

I get paid to break into buildings. Although I don't actually force my way in.

I'm a Locksmith.
Reapir/install locks, access systems, do safe work, antique lock work, cut keys etc.
Been doing this for 22 years in the family business.
Worked in all kinds of places, from businesses to homes. We don't do car lock outs or repairs though, unless the locks are removed and brought in.
We have done the occasional Antique or Classic car, including even an old electric car from the early 1900s.
I like being out on the road to troubleshoot/repair a lock situation. See something different almost every day.

Mortikan said:
any one else noticing a design theme here!
I always know I am the odd man out being a funeral director but come on guys

CaMon!!...You are a good guy to know if "we" need to make someone "disappear" !!.. LOL!!...

I am sure I could arrange something. friends help you move good friends help you move bodies!!

always liked that one.

I went to university with no real plan in mind. I ended up getting a degree in Pure Mathematics but wasn't really able to get any relevant employment with it in my area. Decided to check out the IT field and I've been working in that area for the past 10 years. I started out working on mainframe applications coding in COBOL but my main interest was in the web world. Finally transitioned over to that area around six years ago. I love my work (most of it anyway), but its nice to actually get in the garage in the evenings/weekends and actually build something tangible with your hands.

Emergency Medical Technician. Fancy title for EMT.
NOT AN AMBULANCE DRIVER :mad:
I work for the local 911 service, Louisville Metro EMS. Love my job...met my wife (she's a nurse) when I took her a patient. Been hooked ever since!

These are some of my jobs from the past:

-Grill cook at The Outback Steakhouse
-Supply Manager at a nursing home
-Steel Importer
-Licensed Customs Broker
-Graphic Designer / Interactive Web Development

Now a days, I'm the Quality Assurance Manager for a small software company and I teach Power Vinyasa Yoga on the side. Life is good.

I have been in the Canadian Forces(Air Force) for 30 years. I have lived in many places: North Bay, Ontario; Panama City, FL; Tacoma, WA; Vicenza, Italy... I am an Aerospace Controller. I have been a computer programmer, recruiter, and most recently I am an instructor at the Aerospace Control School In Cornwall, Ontario. It's been a great career, but I am looking forward to retirement real soon and moving back to Newfoundland as soon as possible.

IT services. network engineer.
worked in a cycle shop befor that and a year of concrete restoration.
got my speed fix befor i got my bike(moto) with building and racing bicycles.
i guess i have alway been on two wheels...

brewtown16 said:
the names Collin,
full time student here at UW-Milwaukee, trying to become a graphic designer. trying to get my foot in the door with an internship, but proving difficult. ill be a super senior this fall, grad in the spring. worked at trader joes for a while, did some voulenteer/ pay work with working with children in north milwaukee. and i went home every weekend to build a 29 ford T-bucket, paid for last years schooling. currently out of work due to having to leave joes. man, i need a job.

I got my degree in Graphic design from UW-Milwaukee and then another BFA from Columbia in Chicago in Multimedia, I work as a technical operations manager at a healthcare tech and elearning firm.

Right now.... Commercial Artist / Graphic Designer... I work for a company that does large scale banner printing, custom display work, tradeshow displays, vehicle wraps, inkjet display boards...etc...

In the past: Managed a color dept. of a printing company for 5 years... Worked at a funeral home... I've worked as a personal assistant/driver/bodygaurd for a Russian guy with alot family ;D.... i've worked at gas stations, cash offices, retail stores, armed security.... I worked at a Kodak Q lab (a pro photographers photo lab - back when everyone still shot film)

My degree is actually in photography. I've worked in the photo studio's (kansas city used to have more photographers almost than NYC... cheap rent!)

I also work sort of PT for a guy who has a bike shop here in the city who works on old english bikes. I run his ebay store, help him craigslist stuff, and help work on bikes just a bit (still learning a lot)... I also help teach a kids judo class on sundays... but thats just volunteer work.

I also shoot weddings, and food photography for local restraunts and stock agency type stuff, and alot of album covers for bands and hip hop artists. I used to shoot for a modeling agency and shoot alot of fashion stuff, but that got old. I also do freelance design and what not....

I took some college classes for flash animation last year, but just never really find the time or motivation to get really good at it...

Recently I was bouncing at a night club on the weekend also, but after about 8 months of it, i was just tired, and it was killing my weekends!

I like to stay busy. I'm almost 30 with no wife or kids, and i have a great job which affords me the opportunity to pretty much F off alot, spend alot of money on toys and parts, and do as i please. Much to my mothers dismay.

I also have been in a band for the last 4 years (bass). We play pretty often, and have a good following here:
[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZH_crJzKYGs&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZH_crJzKYGs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I work in penal daycare. When the kiddies act up I'm in the goon squad.
Also military . Started in the Marines . Then Navy . Now Air Force. Think I might do the Army or Coast Guard next. Guess i'm a uniform collector too. ;D

73750K said:
Auto tech for the last 23 years, been fixin Toyotas for the last 4.

How do you feel about the recall?... Local scrap yard has 50 MINT toyota pickups in there now that are usless.

Sad, really. Nice trucks otherwise.

Got my BA in History from Baylor University. The only time I use it is to kick ass at Jeopardy. When I got to college, I thought all you really needed was the degree, the piece of paper, but out of school I realize that unless you're specialized, you're effed. Most BA degrees are semi-useless w/out a masters or doctorate. My gf has a BA in English from the same school and she can't get anything besides a minimum wage job.

I currently sell house paint for a large retail paint chain. I've been doing so for 5 years now. The money isn't great and the stress is high. From what everyone tells me, I'm pretty good at it, but I don't care. On top of that, I just got beat out on a promotion. The guy that got it had a 4 page business plan and a powerpoint. Just for the intial interview. My district manager just gave me the bs about 'not really wanting it', being 'too quiet' and not 'outgoing enough' despite being the most qualified. I didn't sell myself. He suggested 'networking' w/other employess and stores. I got into this job to get away from that business bull that every place else has, so it was a reality check.

It's interesting you guys are talking about career choices and what not. I've been debating getting a new job, but they are all lateral moves or require me going back to school. I didn't like school the first time, and I don't really want the debt. Trade school would be preferred, but who knows in what? I'm not in great financial position, but 6 months and I could re-up. That and a p/t job would help. My problem is I have no clue what I really want to do. I just know that selling paint the rest of my life isn't it.

Sorry for the novel...

I work for a company that supplies oil companies with anti-corrosion coatings for pipelines, specifically over the area that is exposed for welding. Basically, there are much larger versions of the heat-shrink tubing we use for electrical connections.

I'm speciallized product engineer dealing with our high technology systems... which is one reason why I am away alot. That and I can fire up factories, fix problems on land and at sea, etc.

Right now I'm starting a factory up in Abu Dhabi... which is nice in winter but is around 45-60 C right now.

Oh... and I'm a Mechanical Engineer. I also used to work in a chrome shop, and if you need forks chromed, I might just be able to help.

Back
Top Bottom