Low budget extra large blast cabinet

CCRider

Coast to Coast
Inspired by Milwaukeephil's rubbermaid bin blast cabinet http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=5297.0, I decided to build a low budget cabinet that I could get my whole frame into.

Built the box out of cheap OSB plywood and 2X4's. The view windows are a couple of pieces of tempered glass out of the door of a broken microwave oven my parents were throwing out. My dad had some plexiglass that went in the top to let light in. Cut a hole in the top and mounted the cheapest auto air filter from Walmart, to let the cabinet "breathe". $7 gloves and cheap casters came from Harbor Freight. Got some heavy wire grate from the local scrap yard for $6. Bought my gun many years ago on a clearance table at Lowe's for $1. Paint, hardware, hinges and latches were laying around the garage.

All said and done, about $100 including 25# of glass bead, and a few weekends work.

CC

blast001.jpg

blast003.jpg

blast004.jpg

blast005.jpg

Nice job!

How about some specs on the compressor? HP, CFM...

And we have to see an example of the work... thow the wheelbarrow in :)

CanadaDan said:
Nice job!

How about some specs on the compressor? HP, CFM...

And we have to see an example of the work... thow the wheelbarrow in :)

Thanks.

Compressor's a 6 HP, 60 gal, 10.2 cfm @ 90 psi Campbell Hausfeld I've had for several years. When I finally get my bike stripped down to the frame, I'll get a shot with it inside.

CC

wow, thanks a bunch. I needed that inspiration. nice job. I was considering this design for a while. I like yours better.

milwaukeephil said:
I like how you did the gloves -- much nicer than my duct tape. Is that just pvc tube glued in to holes in the wall?

Thanks, the glove "rings" are strips of galvanized steel flashing cut about 3" wide with about 3/4" on each side folded over to eliminate the sharp edges. The strips were rolled into a ring and attached into the holes with small sheet metal screws and a bead of caulk.

CC

CCRider said:
Thanks.

Compressor's a 6 HP, 60 gal, 10.2 cfm @ 90 psi Campbell Hausfeld I've had for several years. When I finally get my bike stripped down to the frame, I'll get a shot with it inside.

CC

what do you think of the compressor for sandblasting? I can find similar compressors on craigslist for pretty cheap. What is the most important number though? capacity, hp, psi?

thats a good looking cabinet. I've got a few sheets of tempered glass i've been wondering what to do with. Now I know. Thanks

boomshakalaka said:
what do you think of the compressor for sandblasting? I can find similar compressors on craigslist for pretty cheap. What is the most important number though? capacity, hp, psi?

CFM @ 90psi is the number you need to look at. 10+ is up there. Most metal working tools need big CFM's while carpentry tools need very little. That's why the little pancake and hotdog compressors that most people have don't do much for metal shops. Capacity determines how often the motor needs to kick in, HP for how long. How much air it can move is a compination of all the factors so it is the number tools reference in their requirements.

9+ should do more most uses but the more the merrier :)

My compressor works pretty good for blasting, it runs most of the time while I'm blasting, but does catch up and rest every now and then, so I guess it's sized about right.

I agree that the CFM rating is the most important thing to consider.

CC

I found a compressor on craigslist that is putting out 6.4scfm@90psi. Will this do? I cant find many compressors that have higher scfm's, I guess mostly people sell/buy ones to run nail guns and other wood working tools?

edit: reread the recommendations in this thread, and 6.4 is apparently too low. Ill keep looking!

boom if you run by murrys they have an nice 150psi 15 gallon tank for like 200 bucks! great compressor.

CCRider said:
I am diggin the fridge. That's some heads up recycling!

CC

I just dumped an old Kelvinator and an ancient Sharp microwaver last night, damn. I could have used the glass for a window and held onto the transformer for a DIY welder, HA!

hmmmm....just reviewing prior to starting mine. I noticed the offset window, that was well thought out. wondering what the (what look like to be) beveled interior corners are for, plywood anchor points/corner strength, or some genius media deflector? it sure looks good in there. have you got a 'catch pan' yet? also what's the diameter of the glove mount rings?
I'm excited, and so is all the crap that needs cleaned.

isolato said:
hmmmm....just reviewing prior to starting mine. I noticed the offset window, that was well thought out. wondering what the (what look like to be) beveled interior corners are for, plywood anchor points/corner strength, or some genius media deflector? it sure looks good in there. have you got a 'catch pan' yet? also what's the diameter of the glove mount rings?
I'm excited, and so is all the crap that needs cleaned.

Yeah, the beveled corners are just reinforcement to beef up the plywood joint. Not sure what you mean by "catch pan". The media falls through the steel grate into the bottom of the cabinet and gets picked up by the gun's suction tube from there. The glove mount rings are about 6" dia.

I made a minor improvement last week. Added a port to hook up the shop vac to, to suck out the dust. Keeps the filter cleaner longer.

I'll post some pix later.

CC

Here's a pic of the new mod. Just a 2" ABS plastic elbow glued into a hole in the cabinet and enough tape wrapped around the shop vac hose extension to make it fit tight. Hole is located as far as possible from the area of most blasting so that the heavier media will settle out of the air but the dust gets sucked up.

DSC01355.jpg

Here's a shot of the frame inside:

DSC01238.jpg

Later, CC

Back
Top Bottom