like the sign says, anything goes.....

biker_reject said:
Yeah, I was gonna do some research on whether there is a standard for a cafe bike. I just haven't had the time... Can anyone steer me towards any books on the subject?

check out the bikeriders. this isn't a book on the standard for a cafe bike.. but it's an awesome book. danny lyon is a photojournalist who was in the chicago outlaws motorcycle club. he was able to compile photos and interviews of the members. i guess they didn't really have cafe racers, but they did race their bikes (scramblers track)
amazing book, nothing to do with what you're asking for, but it should be read.

I don't generally read books written by gang members. The last one I read was Monster, but it was for a Criminology research paper I was writing in college. I despise gangsters...

well i, and apparently swagger too, love gangsters. violence ftw. ::)
the chicago outlaws split up into two clubs in 1958, one of which was racing-oriented. like i said, check it out. photos from motorcycle blessings and races. not so much outlaw shenanigans.

It's pop culture suicide. Gang/thug culture has been so mainstreamed that many people are blind to it's overall effect on society. Do you realize that as much as 10% of our armed forces are street gang members? Well, that's fodder for a whole new thread. Open your eyes... Gangsters suck. Being a fan of The Sopranos and Goodfellas is fantasy and acceptable. Idolizing the real thing... fail.

biker_reject said:
It's pop culture suicide. Gang/thug culture has been so mainstreamed that many people are blind to it's overall effect on society. Do you realize that as much as 10% of our armed forces are street gang members? Well, that's fodder for a whole new thread. Open your eyes... Gangsters suck. Being a fan of The Sopranos and Goodfellas is fantasy and acceptable. Idolizing the real thing... fail.

i was being sarcastic. i'm not actually a fan of gangsters. i'm a teacher.. my job is to try to mould children into decent people. if you'd read my post, you would have seen that i mentioned that the chicago outlaws club split up in 1958. the members that this book is about is the race-oriented club. most of the book is photos, and at the end there are interviews. the photos are from motorcycle blessings and the races, and some other cool photos. it's a good book, i haven't read all of the interviews, but all of the photos are great and i've liked the interviews i've read.

Sorry, I guess I get so tired of reciting my litany of grievances against that crap that once I see any known gang names, or read any posts about being friends with Hells Angels or Mongols or some such shit, I get really pissed. What grade and subject(s) do you teach? When I worked in a psych hospital as a counselor (Child/Adolescent/Residential Treatment Units), the Residential kids started calling themselves "DCP (our hospital) Soljas"! The adolescent girls would throw gang signs. You should have seen my freakin' eyes roll then!

biker_reject said:
Sorry, I guess I get so tired of reciting my litany of grievances against that crap that once I see any known gang names, or read any posts about being friends with Hells Angels or Mongols or some such shit, I get really pissed. What grade and subject(s) do you teach? When I worked in a psych hospital as a counselor (Child/Adolescent/Residential Treatment Units), the Residential kids started calling themselves "DCP (our hospital) Soljas"! The adolescent girls would throw gang signs. You should have seen my freakin' eyes roll then!

i teach pre-school, now. most people don't realize the importance of socialization at that age. i see huge differences between kids who are in school at that age, and kids who don't go to school until kindergarten. they develop an awareness of individuals, and realize that other people have feelings. they also have a sense of independence. it's really cool. before that, i taught in low-income communities in costa rica (one was actually a banana plantation), and volunteered at an orphanage on the weekends. completely different from teaching at a private school in the u.s.

I'm glad to see this got steered at least back to friendlier waters......

As for Gangsters and their ilk, I moonlight as personal security....I've dealt with 'them' on several occasions. The trick is to "cut off the head".... Seems like a lot of clueless rich folk wanna go slumming and can put themselves in dangerous situations. I cringe when I hear... <insert spoiled rich guy voice> "I want to go to one of those dive bars down by the river".

The book however is still worth the read, regardless of how you view one small portion of the entire tapestry.

My little town by the river used to have dives just like those! :D In fact, we had a notorious bike gang (offshoot of the Outlaws) and they had their "clubhouse" on the water front. Then, a group of local lawyers, businessmen, doctors, and property developers pressured local law enforcement to act. A combined effort of State Police, County Sheriffs Deputies, and city police ran them out of town. It was very cool.

Back
Top Bottom