Should I do this?

• yes

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • no?

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

haste

so i might get a running honda xl 175.

Heres a pic I found online. Mine is in worse condition but runs.

Goals= cafe seat, cafe bars,remove sidecovers, throw large filter in there, may have to move the rear sets for a lower angle?, lower front forks, custom exhaust. Going to be a good commuter, and hopefully last awhile.

xl175.jpg

to
14ilixe.jpg

thanks! Im going to have to source another gas tank though. Also Im trying to decide between several things

1)kept turn signals?
2)clip ons or cafe bars
3)find good 3.5 x 18 tires.

It's got possibilities. But that front wheel is a bit big for that look, it's a 21"? Swap with a 19 or 18 and it will have a nicer stance.

wow the first forum I havnt been yelled at for doing this. Everybody said its dumb ect get a nother bike such as a cb. But at the same time I have low funds and I want a smaller bike to get around on.

Should I build my own seat? Also do you chop the frame after the rear shocks for mounting the seat?

Yeah the front wheel is large..Ill see if a smaller xl model smaller front wheel can fit fine.

haste said:
wow the first forum I havnt been yelled at for doing this. Everybody said its dumb ect get a nother bike such as a cb. But at the same time I have low funds and I want a smaller bike to get around on.

Should I build my own seat? Also do you chop the frame after the rear shocks for mounting the seat?

Yeah the front wheel is large..Ill see if a smaller xl model smaller front wheel can fit fine.

If your bike was as nice as the one pictured, I would've suggested you leave it but since you say it's in worse condition so chop away. You can just get used shocks that are shorter.

First off, if it's actually in that nice of a condition, don't do anything that can't be unbolted and put the bike back to original. Vintage street scramblers are kinda rare, as they were usually beaten to death, more so than street bikes. So yeah, it's a conditional, "go ahead and change it" The condition is, "don't hack anything off the frame, chop the seat, and limit your modifications to bolt ons." Part of the reason for this is that I think you're going to find that a street scrambler frame isn't all the comfortable for a cafe racer riding position. It's designed to make you sit high and straight up.

Decent 3.50 x 18 tyres? Take a look at the Dunlop K70's - they're the modern repops of the vintage tyres used on British vertical twins. I'm running them on my Bonnie for a decade and a half now, and have been real happy with them.

Just don't screw the bike up. You've got a bit of a rarity there. I've been looking for one of those for quite a while now.

Oh yeah, keep in mind that if you're going to do a 19" wheel on the front, expect the geometry to nosedive and handling to be seriously affected. 21" street tyres are rather easy to find - my Harley Springer uses a 21" front wheel. Dunlop does a D404 in, I believe, 90/90x21, which is about 3.50 wide.

thanks everyone. Yeah this bike isnt worth all too much. Ill try to get a pic sometime soon. I firguered once I get rid of all the extra crap, throw cafe seat on it, new bars itll look decent.

To be quite honest it's almost in too great of shape . As said prior : Make any mods you make so you can change it back if ever desired .

Cool idea you have though.

that is NOT the bike as stated previously, mine has been sitting in a barn for 10 years. Its been sheltered though, but its still grungeey ;D

it seems like it would be a good platform, really light and small, just wonder about how the handling will be on the street, dirtbikes are really set up differently

i say make it a bastardized cafe/bratstyle bike.... that 21" front wheel would look rockin then... even its a single, and would look great with that low profile tank etc... nice scoot!

I like it.

Either restore it to look like that wicked Dual Purpose you pictured or chop it up.

Either way you should have a cool bike.

well bringing this back up too see if i should do it or not

2vsor3t.jpg

its pretty rusty, but runs and has title for 200. Needs all extra crap removed and clipons, cafe seat, lower front forks, and smaller front wheel.

I like the exhaust. Already tucked up under the seat. I say get to hackin. I don't think you can go wrong for 2 bills and a title.

later.

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom