'78 CX500...

ccvsgod

Man Of Constant Throttle
...thoughts & opinions? I'm buying one today.
Wish it was yesterday when I was staring at every bike part ever invented at Paris.
Anybody here ride one or ever worked one over?
Thoughts on le shaft versus le chain? I want road trips. The 360, she can't do it, captain.

In a related story, anyone in T.O. have a good flat/ribbed Honda-compatible seat?
Jacks, you still have that Honda seat?

I have one. i like it, its a reliable fun bike thats easy to work on

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=6968.0

http://www.youtube.com/v/DbHx5_NyJCY&hl=en&fs=1&

theres a quick vid i made, just to see how well my camera worked

the only thing with the 78 to watch for is the CDI ignition and make sure the cam chain has been updated (3 dots will have been placed near the engine vin)

I own one but haven't picked it up yet, bit of a road trip to get it. From all reports a reliable machine and with that V-Twin character. Should be fun.

Cheers
Steve

Yep, me too! ;D

It's really grown on me.....I love the bike. As stated, reliable, easy to work on and just a fun bike to ride. It's amusing watching other bike riders doing a double take and making positive comments just because it's a CX....not many think of doing the Cafe to a CX (except for a few of us elite crowd, hey guys? .....heheheh)

[youtube=425,350]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/S21REpHycug&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/S21REpHycug&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Rone

Thanks, this is what I needed to hear. CaTacl1sm & ROne, that's a fucking beauty, both of them.
The one I'm looking at apparently needs piston rings, the compression is off (120 left vd 150 right). I'm hoping it's just that simple. Anyone know if valves are a common issue with this bike?

You guys must have seen this insane job before:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pampadori/2465241370/in/photostream/

...boinnnnnnnggggg!

*hey, thanks for Jacks' email, Josh. He had a leftover Honda seat at some point. I work with him sometimes but haven't seen him in a while. Gonna drop him a line.

just thought i'd chime in as a fellow CX owner. u'll be working on something pretty unique (as a cafe bike). look forward to seeing how you'll do yours.

So I got the bike. The 78 in Scarborough was too messed up to be worth it (but would be good for parts if anyone needs them I'll point you to the guy) so I passed on it but I got a '79 that's in smooth running order. Someone's cut up the front fairing and there's a nice chrome headlight & casing in there. The tank rules, could totally put knee pads on it when it's worked over. Has the original tool kit in the "trunk" too. It rides so smooth compared to the CB (chain snobs - fight me). Only issue I can see is that some coolant leaks and smokes when it hits the head, can't be too compicated. I was stoked to see that the whole back end comes off lights & all in one piece. Only thing I've changed is the bars and I have the signals I'm gonna use.

IMG_4022.jpg

So I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with sagely advice, stuff for sale, or good resources for:

1. a seat - looking for a flat low, ribbed one, either a whole seat with pan that fits the frame or just a cover made for the pan and I can cut the foam down.
Anyone know where to go or anywhere that I can see what covers are compatible with what pans?
2. Gauge(s) - Because of that headlight being sweet, I'm gonna keep it and try to McGuyver something to hide all the wires, possibly using a small black plastic oil bottle. Anyone done anything like this?
But I do want to get that cut-up gauge housing out of there and find some good chrome gauges. I don't need a tach if I can find a speedo with a heat gauge and the indicator lights.
Any of you CXers have one, or any compatible gauges for sale? Or care to steer me to where you go for them? I gotta do something about this:

IMG_4014.jpg

3. The Back end:

IMG_4010.jpg

...I need a back end connection. I took this apart and the CB rear fender I have, aside from being full of drill-holes, is too narrow. In theory I could use the black plastic one underneath in some way. I just want a flat ribbed/stitched seat with a back that hugs the fender. Somewhere between

mb2.JPG

and

CIMG0178.JPG

...your thoughts?

I saw a CX with a sidecar in kensington today. Off topic...but you know. A sidecar. Ain't something you see everyday.

Yeah, I've definitely already noticed how low it revs, sometimes drops right out, I keep opening the choke as I'm driving. So that is common to CXs, huh? Can't I just adjust the idle accordingly? And the coolant fluid, only when I stop after going fast or long, is coming out somewhere and smoking on the pipe. I'm still getting used to the centre of gravity & the weight compared to the 360, which I can take really low tight turns on, but I really like the way it growls and rides. Can't wait to give it a haircut and a new ass.

Back
Top Bottom