Nortons....

It is a NorVill "kit"
I assume it is a EBC rotor, but no part number to see about cross reference.

Nice bolt on set up.

Not really going for "a look" , just trying to improve the bike and maintain a balance in performance

Been out of town for a week as there was a death in the family. My girl's father passed away.
Really sucks.

We also raced off of Long Island to avoid all the bullshit that seems to come every time it snows.

But did manage to get over to the garage today.
Mainly hung out and talked to a few close friends and had some beers.
Little actual work got done, but as always that is okay.

I cut the shaft off for the rear isolastics and cleaned out the bore.
7D7BA8B6-61C3-41E8-8FFC-07D63459286C_zpsaqzfhhjx.jpg

It seemed like it was easier to just yank the engine then figure a way to balance it to get everything out.
AAFD9CEA-88C7-4F83-96F2-64F8E51204CE_zpsusbmoytw.jpg

Now the project looks like every hipster's first post.
B8A17BBE-6416-43DC-BE4A-041E9EA36E0A_zpswv9carbs.jpg

One night this week I will install the rear isolastics and the swing arm parts.
Fingers crossed that things go together smoothly and I can get this junk all back together.

Have a few parts to blast and paint.
Probably going to polish some of the engine covers and fork legs. No good reason, but I like the look.

Do have questions though.
The oil lines that go from the sump to the filter and the tank. Should I replace those?
If so, what should I use?

Any feedback on the braided lines for the oil lines to the head? Any real upgrade other then just looks?

Did avon stop selling 4.10x19 tires?

Braided SS lines for oil are not necessary but they do add some "bling" if that is what you are after.

Well happy birthday to me!
My ignition came in the other day.

I went with the Tri-Spark for a few reasons. First was that the exchange rate was fairly good, so even with buying wires and coils it was cheaper then other options, and the other is that it has great reviews from owners. I will say that the quality seems top notch and I am excited to get this installed.
0FCF7BB9-1AE4-4346-A313-454DB25AD652_zpsiedr3djn.jpg

Normally I am not a huge fan of electronic ignitions, I flat don't see the point most times. Points are not some black art and anyone running around on a vintage bike should at least have the skills to deal with them. BUT from my understanding on a Brit bike the rules change. Actually many things change when dealing with something from good old England. Seems "the right way, the wrong way, and the british way" is really true.

I am honest that this bike will not be my "forever bike". I am not building this to sell, flip or list any time soon. Fully plan to daily this bike in the coming season and enjoy it as much as I can, but in the back of my mind I am always thinking about things. I have learned that the investment in a quality ignition seems to be returned at the sale. Maybe not in a solid +$300, but rather in attracting more buyers and listening to less BS. At the end of the day I will be into this bike for VERY little money, probably only a few bucks more then other riders I have had.

Anyway, enough talk about things way down the line.
For right now I am putting together an order for some more parts.
-Head steady
-Gaskets
-Clutch
-Clutch seal
-Trans seals/O rings
-Front sprocket
-Chain
-Petcocks
-Oil feed lines
-Key switch
And I am sure a few other bits and pieces.
Maybe I shouldn't add up what I am spending.....lol
If I just count the basics to get the bike on the road this bike is about the same as a CB450 I did a while ago.

Should be able to get to the garage one night this week.
Goals for that
-Seal the freaking blaster a little bit so I stop making a mess
-Blast a few parts and paint them
-Install ignition
-Polish some covers
-Install rear isolastics
-Install bushings for center stand (more on that another time.)

As always I am chugging along and enjoying the ride.

I'll be curious about the tri-spark iggy when you get it in. I still have a 65' Atlas in my dads barn waiting on me. I "can" adjust points, I just don't want to. :)

Surffly, I just found this thread, congratulations on your Nortons! Are you in the US or UK? I restored, rode and regrettably sold a 74 850 Commando can suggest a few parts source and upgrades if you are in the US. You are going to love this bike. The isololastics do work very well, it has great power and torque throughout the range and the gearbox has my favorite gear ratio of all British bikes. Looking forward to your progress and keep up the good work. Here is mine, long gone, and on the list for one of my future projects:

I assume you know about Commando Specialties for parts and Old Britts for information on their website.

There is a guy in Ontario who is supposed to be a good supplier of Commando parts. With our wilting dollar you should be able to get a good deal. I will get his contact info for you (and me as well).

$1.42 USD to the British pound. Not sure how strong that is. I just ordered a tool set that is only made and sold in England for £273. It end up costing me over $400 with shipping.

The pound is fairly strong too.

I have had a bunch of stuff come in from Canada and Australia.
Everything ebs and flows

Used a trick I read online to get the "inside" piston out of the caliper.
Really odd design.....

I will say that this caliper did come apart MUCH easier then any Honda caliper I have rebuilt.
Those are normally frozen solid.

The piston in this caliper popped right out with a little air pressure from a blower.
Easy peasy.

D3B8189D-AE68-47DC-B53B-11CBEEA9CCC3_zpspne2miso.jpg

Still not sure if I will run the stock caliper or not.
But figured I should order the new SS pistons and seals anyway.
I will rebuild it and either use it, or save it for latter.

I know that more then one person has said to never change the rear shoes as they have never seen them wear out.
Is that really true?
A1BEDF83-BA1F-414B-AC66-A96C80235600_zpsuautdtbe.jpg

Also, who had the brilliant idea to make the drum and the sprocket the same large piece?

This post is brought to you by "Mission Creep"!

Just service the bike and get it running they said, don't make this into a big deal they said, it would be fun they said!

93B31845-D922-455A-8070-B6B82AAE296C_zpszabeghs4.jpg

AAFF2FE8-C45E-4957-A024-D2B97E4684C7_zpsg4w0rzgi.jpg

Well shit....

Got some use out of my new blaster.
21C557FE-B4DE-4BC0-97D5-E22581E5DDD7_zpsizyezy1i.jpg

Actually got a lot of small things done over the weekend.
Blasted
-Battery box
-Exhaust caps
-Exhaust hangers
-Exhaust nuts
-Airbox lid
-Old head steady
-Coil mounts.
-Few other small bits and bobs.

Most will be painted a simple flat black, this is a cafe racer forum after all!

Probably will do the same with the triple trees as they will stick out....see that slippery slope?

Pulled the clutch out. Ordered the tool to remove the primary gear to split the motor from the trans.
57B48F75-3246-498C-AEB2-5547766C765D_zps2qpsj1kg.jpg

Going to just replace the plates in the clutch "while I am here"

Unsure if I need to worry about the end plate or not.
77E59EE8-CDD5-4497-8123-47615624591A_zpssyp40dop.jpg

Removed the oil filter and lines.
Plate cleaned up well. I have a new filter to go on.
Still need to go to the parts store for new lines.
C4B9667A-17FA-45AB-BA35-590BEC539A5B_zpsl9164uov.jpg

Just seem like more things were taken apart to inspect and plan then any actual forward work.

Another part of "Mission Creep" is thinking about replacing parts that I dont yet know the condition of!
2DFAA857-48B5-478F-BBD2-C7ED8877473E_zpsluceeojm.jpg

So, can someone talk to me about those new 200watt charging systems I see online?
The stator on mine looks like it has a bit of sealant that was covering something.

Really not happy to have a pile of stuff in the garage. I should have a motorcycle!
Not this junk!
E001CF53-5A82-4720-836F-AB84DB107F18_zpstejklbs7.jpg

Degreased the frame while everything was off.

Bought the correct puller to remove the primary drive gear. Was extra stuck. Took a fair amount of heat and a couple of good whacks to get it free.
234C8592-10C3-4F0E-B584-AC51CABEDADA_zpsndrhkqo1.jpg

Probably melted that seal.....
E3F82D2D-92E3-4148-AECC-8DCA846C8C36_zpsb5ko0fbb.jpg

Inner primary removed. Reinstalled the bolts to keep what little oil is still in the motor of leaking out.
E442FE73-A744-44B6-B976-B5D53330AEAA_zpsgxihda0o.jpg

So I remember what spacers were there before.
8499952E-D8B0-4642-95ED-E20CA7814365_zpskem5j0sz.jpg

Engine and transmission numbers match, for anyone that is keeping score.
D08B49DA-7385-4E54-99DC-23343FF98047_zpsekwewj8e.jpg

D2E057C1-8AC7-41DB-8E64-CDBFF8BF4B18_zpskjc9icoi.jpg

Still taking things apart and moving father from the road......
312905C2-C15E-4229-AB5D-8C8855325091_zpsuzvcb8wp.jpg

Next time something actually has to get bolted back together.

Lots of parts, should be arriving this week.
Very excited about a few....

Time and money, lots of time and money...

Back
Top Bottom