Tim's SR500

Re: Tim's SR500 kinda tracker kinda whatever undecided who knows project

locO leoN said:
well come by and pick it up anytime.. just sittin here in the Man-room...
If you are not gonna use that stock seat, let me have it!!..

I already modified the stock seat. My car was stuck in the mud so I used it for traction under the wheels.

Tim said:
I already modified the stock seat. My car was stuck in the mud so I used it for traction under the wheels.

Bahahahahaha!!!!!

That's hilarious. Those wheels rock hard man. Love it.

Tim said:

AWESOME!!.. just the way I like it!!.. it'll look better like that on my bike than what on there now!!..

;D

Re: Tim's SR500 - Nov 2 2010 - wheels!

Not sure I'm keen on the rectangular headlight - we'll see what happens on that front. This wasn't going to be a pure bred tracker when I started, but... we'll see. I already have an archetypal cafe racer, not sure I want a typical tracker sitting next to it. Gotta have some unique touches.

I do like the number plates though and will likely run them. Need a fork brace.

My 2 cents worth on the TimTracker.
The sidecovers are aluminum, not SS, probably 1100 or 3003 alloy. They're pretty bendable - important at the track after a tumble, easy enough to straighten out quickly and get to the restart without having to change parts. A couple of the sidepanels are really beat and I may have done in one or 2 of them myself. Class C Racing Products (no longer in business) used to sell them but if there's any interest in new ones, I may have the patterns around somewhere (contact me directly on this).
As far as the tank, it's such a neat little cafe tank, it'd be great if someone was building a teacup cafe bike. Having said that, one in aluminum to match the sidecovers would be the bomb and the fabricator could make the mods to fit the SR frame.
I think the smallest round legal (DOT) headlight Tim can find would be great. Run a flat number plate with a hole cut in it to let the light peek out - maybe even make it out of aluminum to match the sidecovers and tank. I can't think spending $135+ bucks on a non-DOT approved light makes much sense...but that's just me. Tim and I already had a talk today about non DOT parts on a street bike - tires was the specific topic. It's a pretty long walk home after your bike gets impounded for being an unsafe vehicle. Yes, it has happened...and this thing will be a police magnet.
As far as a fork brace, the old Circle Industies aluminum fork brace was the norm on a dirt tracker (you know, the big hoop) but on the newer bikes, we never bothered running one, the forks being a lot sturdier than the old days.
This is all grand fun. Glad I was able to contribute to the TimTracker in my own small way...
Regards,
Pat Cowan,
Vintage Motorcycle Fiberglass
Pacomotorstuff

Now I need to sort bars out. I'm mulling over FasstCo's Flexx handlebars simply because they look freakishly cool and highly technical.

FL-1001-14-31hr.jpg

build is looking great. i've been looking for something like that r60 tank. long and narrow for a small bike. know of any similar style tanks from other models? let me know if that one doesn't work out for you and you wanna get rid of it.

smallest DOT light you can find with a number plate over it

You mean kinda like the plate on this XR1200?

xr1200.JPG

That'd look seriously awesome, especially if you kept the slitted area but made it round to match the headlight.

Meanwhile, I would definitely keep everything within the confines of the law. You can get some pretty hectic road-legal tyres, and I know that around my way way (Australia) its basically good to fit as long as it doesn't have 'Race Only' on it and isn't a slick. Hell, I ran 300 miles on 'not for highway use' knobblies only a month or two ago haha. If you're after a good dual-sport kinda thing, I'm running a Dunlop K750 on the back of my XR600 and it seems pretty damn good on road... both dry and wet. Yet to use it offroad but I'm expecting good things given the profile and tread pattern.

All other things you can go borderline wih (small LED indicator & brake lights, reasonably loud exhaust, etc) but the tyres will get you done straight up if they are obviously not for road use.

Cheers - boingk

Or something like this.

pt1.jpg

That's a race front plate, trimmed and bent using a heat gun along the bend line.

I'm really enjoying the thread so far. Swinger looks good - very "powerful".
For my tuppence regarding the engine build, get it apart, see what needs refurb / repair / replacement between the cases, do the best job that you can in there given money and resources and button them up. For sure do any oil pump upgrades.
A firebreathing cam, big carb and a 540 kit will be the shits without a solid "foundation".
Heavy duty clutch and springs and power upgrades are almost all outside of the cases (except for stroker flywheels) and can be done at a later date, progressively if you want...
You're cutting a bit of weight off the SR, so I think with modest intake and exhaust changes external to the engine, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll check my filing system to see what SR500 information I may have squirreled away from the last century. If I recall correctly, both Cycle Magazine and Motorcyclist did hop-up articles on the SR. The Motorcyclist writer at the time was Joe Minton, and he started off with the easy stuff - air cleaner, carb, and exhaust and actually tested the improvement from each change. Very good article - now if I can just find it.
Pat Cowan,

Tim said:
Now I need to sort bars out. I'm mulling over FasstCo's Flexx handlebars simply because they look freakishly cool and highly technical.

FL-1001-14-31hr.jpg

She looks rather satisfied with that piece... who knows.. you might be too!! ;D ;D personally, its not my kinda thing but hey.. I wont think any less of ya if it turns out that you like it too !!.. heheheheh!!..

;D

Oh my god, looks great, really made me want to get the last touches on my own tracker. (ish, by no means a real track bike.. although it wont be streetlegal worth crap since i came to the conclusion that any lights, excess wiring and registration plates weigh to much) Seat and expansion pipes (2-stroke) left but i'm stuck with on the west coast (Sweden) for another week... :-\

(Off topic) anyone who has any suggestions of thickness for the sheets i'm building the pipes from?

(On topic) +1 on the tank, its gorgous, what bike is it from? (You probably wrote it but my mobile internet is sporadic at best...)

loco

Tank is RD60 from what I've seen and been told, but it's really not wanting to fit :( With some major surgery (like cutting out the tunnel and re-doing it) it might fit, but it's not worth it I don't think.

Will keep mulling it over and look for an alternative.

Ah, well thats a disappointment :-\ will be looking out for something similar myself.

Tim where did you get those old number plates? They're awesome.

Tim said:
Pat's hooking me up with true to life dirt tracker wheels - well loved racing wheels - the real deal :)

So real that it's minus a front brake?

Nope - this front wheel has a rotor on it, but it is the real deal - Pat can give you the run down on how many times he's raced these wheels :)

Just sorting out axles, spacers etc. etc. etc.

Regarding the number plates, we're checking to see if there are any more sets in storage - maybe even find a NOS pair. They were sold by Class C Racing Products, which has been out of business for awhile now. They also had a matching aluminum front number plate; the last one of those I had, got sold at Milton in October but maybe in a dark corner of the storage area there might be more...
If there's any interest new ones, I'm tracking down the old patterns and layouts to see if it makes sense to do a run of them. It would be ironic - Vintage Motorcycle Fiberglass selling aluminum parts.
On to the wheels. Yes, dirt trackers occasionally have front brakes - when you're riding a TT course, front brakes are used (a dirt TT course, not a road course) and most dirt track suppliers sell front spools with a disc mount if you need it.
Tim's wheels came off a RM465 which was road raced - originally why it was converted - great on a real short, twisty track, not so much on a faster track, and even trophied at a drag race once, I don't know how times it was dirt tracked or TT'ed. May have been motarded as well.
The bike was always a bit of a beast. I believe it tossed off - at least once - anybody who ever rode it. I know it did me, a number of times.
The last few years it was used, it was 99% playbike on a little short track we had and I can't even remember how many people rode it there over the years.
But now it's time for other stuff and the wheels are with Tim's bike now. And yes, they are the "Real McGuffin".
I started mounting the studded ice racing tires on it after I pulled the tracker stuff off and I then just stopped and thought, what the hell am I doing this for?
I'll start a separate thread about the alloy sidepanels / number plates when I get some news.
Regards,
Pat Cowan,
Pacomotorstuff

Back
Top Bottom