The SkyTeam 'Ace' Resource

stroker crazy said:
Welcome aboard nicopotvin!

The hole needs to be blocked, as Caferace1968 says. Even some epoxy filler like JBWeld or similar should suffice.

Crazy

Tnx!, I have now blocked it with a small rubber pad, covered in exhaust repair tape (the shiny metal type) seems to work fine. I will leave it this way until i get the spare part in (ordered it for couple of euro's online).

Engine starts easily now, but having trouble to keep it in idle, but i was told that this is normal in the beginning.

So hopefully i will be able to ride the Ace tomorrow after the licence plate comes in...

Fingers crossed!

Shawn.male said:
Im keen to deal with exhaust next. Wondering if anyone has one of the "factory" chrome non-cat exhausts fitted.
If so, does it yield any improvement in performance and sound?

I had the dealer fit the "factory" chrome non-cat exhaust before I picked the bike up. The sound was pretty ordinary, the header is narrow and the muffler has a lot of baffling in it. A mechanic who had ridden a standard bike reckoned there was little improvement from the 'sports' exhaust. Dealer doesn't stock them anymore!

Others on here recommended a 20mm drill up it to clear out some of the baffling. I didn't bother, I ordered the OO Racing header and an Emgo muffler which I repacked with some fluffy two stroke packing. This gave me a great improvement in sound and better acceleration, no impact on top speed but much more satisfying to ride. Just had to rejet to match the better breathing.

Repacked it in the manner that Ryca recommend but I didn't do their crumb cup mod because the sound is good as it is for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIelY9gMqX0

There is another mod that can be done to these Emgo mufflers to improve the tone, but again I haven't bothered. Way back a picture was posted of a tube that fits inside the cone to straighten up the last bit of flow and this takes away some booming noise, which I don't seem to have.

The first pic is with the "sports" exhaust on. Second pic is what I replaced it with. Third pick with replacement exhaust.

Attachments

• whole bike.jpg
    whole bike.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 857
  • exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 398
  • With new OO Racing and Emgo exhaust.jpg
    With new OO Racing and Emgo exhaust.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 811
License plate came in so did my first run today! Loved it!

Such an easy ride. top speed was about 80km/h.. so will be doing some tuning soon.
But man, smiling for a full hour..

Already done:
- Removed EGC
- Replaced Stock suspension for covered version from OORacing
- Added handlebar mirrors

Upgrade parts already waiting to be bolted on:
First:
- EBC braking pads front & back
- New tires (Michelin Pilot Street)

Second (after i get used to the bike):
- OORacing tuning kit 303 (jet, CDI & sprocket)
- New exhaust from OORacing (Header & black muffler)
- Exhaust wrap (black or plain, haven't decided yet)

I do have one question about the grips, the seem to be a little thin, i have big hands, and they really need to be a bit bigger. Are the grip sizes more or less stock? Any suggestions?

Can't wait for tomorrow morning, for the second ride!

Nico

Attachments

• IMG_4712.jpg
    IMG_4712.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 339
You could fit some handle bar weights to extend the bars:
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/Motorcycle_Steering/Motorcycle_Handlebar_Bar_Ends
You can buy all kinds of grips .... just do a search.

What are the OO shocks like .... do they damp effectively?

With the tyre and rear shock upgrade, It may be worth changing the fork oil to a known quality, even upping either the volume slightly or going up a weight to improve from end damping. If you go to heavy the front end will be solid, but by mixing equal amounts of 10w and 15w will give you 12.5w ish etc you can experiment and find optimum damping for your weight and riding style.

2b said:
I didn't bother, I ordered the OO Racing header and an Emgo muffler which I repacked with some fluffy two stroke packing. This gave me a great improvement in sound and better acceleration, no impact on top speed but much more satisfying to ride. Just had to rejet to match the better breathing.

Thanks 2b

Think I'll opt for the OO Racing header and match it with a Mikuni carb.

And move the battery ... and remove airbox ... and keep tinkering. :D

Erskine said:
You could fit some handle bar weights to extend the bars:
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/Motorcycle_Steering/Motorcycle_Handlebar_Bar_Ends
You can buy all kinds of grips .... just do a search.

What are the OO shocks like .... do they damp effectively?

With the tyre and rear shock upgrade, It may be worth changing the fork oil to a known quality, even upping either the volume slightly or going up a weight to improve from end damping. If you go to heavy the front end will be solid, but by mixing equal amounts of 10w and 15w will give you 12.5w ish etc you can experiment and find optimum damping for your weight and riding style.

tnx for the info, the thickness of the grip is more of the issue, i will have a look around.

The rear dampners are a bit harder than the stock versions, but thats fine for me.
I have been looking at the damping fluid upgrade as well, is there some tutorial somewhere on how to do this?

nico

Fatter grips should be readily available from a motorcycle accessory shop.

Some pre-load on the front forks helps the front end.

I found some 10mm bolts to be just about right:

item.JPG

The forks will have to be removed in order to drain the existing oil.

Crazy

Rode for the 1st time in the dark. There are a lot of roos around Canberra and unlit streets ,so was rather disappointed with the factory headlight. I will get a 7inch to replace it . Can anyone confirm if the wiring can cope with a H4 halogen , or would I be better off getting a standard globe type?
thanks Chris.

any globe you can make fit will be fine as long as it is no more wattage then the stock globe.
35/35 watt
i an a ba20d 35/35 halogen for a while till it blew and now have a 5.5inch headlight with an led globe (heatsinked and fan cooled) but its not that bright. but it suits me
the wiring on the ace is thin and one guy has had issues with the wiring melting after a headlight upgrade.

I run this light
http://thirdgear.com.au/big-seven-cafe-racer-chrome-headlight/

Not sure how bright it is though as my night riding is around town. I got it for it's looks.

stroker crazy said:
I'm looking for something like that - where did you find it?

Crazy
i found the headlight on ebay, it was chrome side mount with a ba20d fitting , i cant find it now it was nearly 2 years ago i got it.
i think it actually is listed as a 6 inch on ebay but is a little smaller.
this might be it, it look like it, i needed to solder the wires to the headlight holder by taking out the spring etc as it was just twisted onto the earth. but it has a glass lens not plastic if it is the same one
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcycle-Chrome-Dual-Bulbs-Headlight-Head-Lamp-Universal-Custom-Lamp-Bulb/231618115158?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3Dc57cd519925a48f9853c94df4c947816%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D201083290626

the led globe is a multi fit type so it fits the stock ba20d fitting. its ok in brightness and only 18w so it will but less strain on the wiring.
heres the globe i found i had to angle it down a bit more then a normal filiment globe to work ok.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcycle-Metal-LED-Headlight-6000K-18W-Hi-12W-Lo-Light-For-Harley-Honda-Yamaha-/161785073477?hash=item25ab244f45

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 290
Updated 2b's carb spreadsheet...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USvziYIyzfyxfZA1YYpQf9eP4djb0GLWbvWcmME88Gk/edit#gid=1

Please PM me with any suggestions for improvement.

Cheers
Richard

sunbeam61 said:
Rode for the 1st time in the dark. There are a lot of roos around Canberra and unlit streets ,so was rather disappointed with the factory headlight. I will get a 7inch to replace it . Can anyone confirm if the wiring can cope with a H4 halogen , or would I be better off getting a standard globe type?
thanks Chris.

I'm in the process of upgrading the stock headlight to a H4 unit. Planned to add relays and a new fuse box from the get-go as I was pretty sure the switch cubes and wiring wouldn't handle the inceased ampage from my experience with classic cars.

Currenty half was through but I'll try and post some photos of the progress so far when I'm home. Not a hard job, you just have to be confident with tackling electronics. All that changes is that the switchcube wires now go to a pair of relays I mounted where the airbox used to be instead of the headlight, and two new wires have to be run from a (second) fuse to the relays, then to the headlight. I left the pilot light wiring as it was.

Front Disc Option?

Just looking at some of the recent photos from the "Race the Ace" on various facebook threads, I noticed that one of the (Women's ?!) team Ace had been modified with a very tasty front disc.
I would be most interested to know the availability of this as it looks a very tidy job with the adaptor / extension plate and being a larger disc, the performance should be enhanced significantly. (Mind you, that's not hard!)

Looked at the Newfren catalogue, and couldn't see any direct reference for a Honda CG type front disc - Would love to know if anybody could help find the reference as I think that this could become a very popular mod!
[pic][/pic]

Back
Top Bottom