2nd Annual Maryland Spring Ride.....

Vince Lupo

Ridden Not Trailered!
Just feeling out the level of interest for those of you in the Maryland / Southern Pennsylvania region...

I'm planning the 2nd Annual Spring Ride for sometime in April (Hopefully I'll come up with a better name for the ride!). Last year we did a 75 mile ride from Reisterstown to Broom's Bloom in Belair. This year the meetup point is the same (Martha and Mary's in Old Town Reisterstown), but the destination is Port Deposit, MD. I did a dry run of the route today, and it clocks in at about 85 miles one-way. The route covers about 2/3 of what we did last year, but the final 1/3 is much more interesting than last year. As well, I had a conversation with the husband/wife owners of the local cafe in Port Deposit, and the husband is on the local city council. He's offered to 'pylon off' a parking section for us, depending upon how many riders ultimately participate.

I haven't yet arrived at a definite date, but it will be on either a Saturday or a Sunday in April (hopefully a nice sunny day, of course!). If anyone here is interested, let me know and I'll put you down on the list. As well, I'll be posting the route here in advance so you can review it.

Let's hope for good weather and a good turnout!

Sounds fun though might be a bit too much of a hike for me as I live inside the beltway. Will definitely follow this thread.

Inside the Baltimore Beltway? Really not bad from there at all -- I'm near BWI airport, and to get to our point of departure in Reisterstown, I just jump on the Beltway and then onto I-795 to the end. Once we arrive at Port Deposit, I-95 is only about 5 miles away, and from there it's a 30-40 minute straight shot down to Baltimore. Nice thing is that there are no tolls heading south until you reach Baltimore and if you need to use either of the tunnels (I-95 or I-895).

Once I post the route, have a look at it and see -- we'd love to see you there.

Here is the route -- for those of you who attended last year's ride, you'll notice that everything is the same until step 26.....

1) From Martha and Mary's (Main St. Reisterstown), turn right out of the parking lot and head to Rt. 128 (about a mile down the road).
2) Turn right on Rt. 128, ride through Glyndon, and head to Butler Rd. Turn left on Butler Rd.
3) Take Butler Rd. to Dover Rd., bear left, then left again onto Dover Rd.
4) Dover Rd. becomes Trenton Rd. at the stop sign. Go straight at the stop sign onto Trenton Rd.
5) Take Trenton Rd. to the T-intersection at Black Rock Rd, turn left.
6) Take Black Rock Rd. to the traffic circle, and continue on Black Rock Rd.
7) At the stop sign, turn right onto Rt. 30 (Main St. Hampstead). This is one spot where our group could get separated.
8 ) Ride a very short distance and turn right onto Upper Beckleysville Rd. (This is a very small intersection)
9) Take Upper Beckleysville Rd. to the T-intersection at Brick Store Rd., turn left.
10) Take the 1st right on Brick Store Rd. onto Beckleysville Rd.
11) Cross Falls Rd. and continue on Beckleysville Rd.
12) Beckleysville Rd. curves right and becomes Cotter Rd.
13) Follow Cotter Rd. to Middletown Rd., turn right.
14) Middletown Rd. to York Rd., turn right.
15) York Rd. to Wiseburg Rd., turn left.
16) Ride to the Wiseburg Rd./Graystone Rd. intersection, and bear right to continue on Wiseburg Rd.
17) Follow Wiseburg Rd. to Hunters Mill Rd., turn left.
18) At the Hunters Mill Rd./Vernon Rd. fork, bear right to continue on Hunters Mill Rd.
19) Continue on Hunters Mill Rd. to the T-intersection at Troyer Rd. (unmarked), turn left.
20) Troyer Rd. to Norrisville Rd., turn right.
21) Follow Norrisville Rd. to Madonna Rd, turn left.
22) Madonna Rd. to Telegraph Rd., turn right.
23) Telegraph Rd. to Rt. 136, turn right.
24) Rt. 136 to Fawn Grove Rd., turn right.
25) Fawn Grove Rd. to Rt. 165, turn left.
26) Follow Rt. 165 through the traffic circle at Rt. 24, continue on Rt. 165.
27) Turn right on Rt. 136, then take 1st left onto Old Pylesville Rd (becomes Main St. in Cardiff).
28) Take Old Pylesville Rd. to Krick Rd, turn right (crossing into PA).
29) Krick Rd. to Burke Rd, turn right.
30) Burke Rd. to Rt. 623, turn left (heading back into Maryland).
31) Follow Rt. 623 to Rt. 1, turn left (to head North).
32) Cross the Conowingo Dam, take first right onto Rt. 222.
33) Rt. 222 to Port Deposit.
34) Rest!

As well, last year's ride took place on April 10th, so I'll see if I can plan the ride for around that time. As well, if anyone has any suggestions for other outlets to promote the ride, please do let me know.

There is no cost to the ride at all -- I just want to get out and ride. But I'll probably need to give the folks at both ends of the ride (Martha & Mary's, Port Deposit) a head count so that they'll know what to expect. I think a week's notice should be sufficient.

Last year I think we met up at about 9 for breakfast and left at 10? If we did that again this year, it would probably put us in Port Deposit by about 1:30. Once it warms up a bit and my bike is back together, I'll do a dry run again to time it (I drove the route yesterday in my car). If people want to start the ride earlier, I can certainly do that.

So have a look at the ride on your map and let me know what you think. If you have any suggestions for modification, I'm all ears.

Vince Lupo said:
Inside the Baltimore Beltway? Really not bad from there at all -- I'm near BWI airport, and to get to our point of departure in Reisterstown, I just jump on the Beltway and then onto I-795 to the end. Once we arrive at Port Deposit, I-95 is only about 5 miles away, and from there it's a 30-40 minute straight shot down to Baltimore. Nice thing is that there are no tolls heading south until you reach Baltimore and if you need to use either of the tunnels (I-95 or I-895).

Once I post the route, have a look at it and see -- we'd love to see you there.

dc beltway. we live in falls church. still very tempting.

Count me in Vince. Last year's route was great!

Let me know when you're doing the dry run, maybe I'll shoot down and go along.

Paging Mr. Longhorn...........Paging Mr. Longhorn.........

I am down for this ride, definitely.

Of course I will have to carry a couple of bottles of extra fuel with me, the new tank will only get me about 45-50 miles.

45-50 miles a tank? What the heck kind of tank do you have???

Thanks for the replies guys - glad to know that you're both up for it this year. I think I'm going to do April 17th as our ride date, with May 1 as a rain date. Unfortunately April 10th won't work for me, and the 24th is Easter, so I think the 17th will fit nicely.

Do me a favor and shoot me your email addresses, and I'll add your names to the contact list. Many thanks again!

I'm going to be contacting everyone soon to see about a final head count for the ride. The Port Deposit folks are interested to know, so I think I better get things moving along. I'd like to have a number for them by next week.

Just as a confirmation - if I don't already have your email address (and you didn't receive an email from me yesterday), and you're wanting to come on the ride, please let me know by next week. I'll need to have a final head count soon.

Thanks!

Hi again -- If you haven't already let me know if you're coming on the ride, please do so by April 1st. I'd like to have a final head count by then.

Thanks!

As of today (April 1), we have confirmation from 9 riders.

Thanks to those of you who responded, and let's hope for good weather on the 17th!

Had one more 'maybe' confirmation, so we might be 10, which is actually a good and manageable number.

Now all we need to do is hope for good weather!

Ah well! Sorry you can't make it -- maybe you'd like to be our recovery crew???

Just checked the weather once again -- sunny, 67 by the afternoon, winds westerly at 17mph. When we leave in the morning, it will be in the low 50's.

Back
Top Bottom