79kz650 generic brat motorcycle thing

Nice project, I am a fan of the KZ's myself. longer shocks can alleviate your clearance problem, and make the bike steer a bit quicker as well. IMHO, when the fender shape is not considered into the hoop design it can look like a bit of an afterthought. What fender are you using BTW? fits the bike nice. heres my z750twin project that I wrapped the hoop up and around the fender, with 1.5" over shocks.
IMG_4351_zpsjqfpboyt.jpg

IMG_1469_zpsbxxfmguq.jpg

doc_rot said:
Nice project, I am a fan of the KZ's myself. longer shocks can alleviate your clearance problem, and make the bike steer a bit quicker as well. IMHO, when the fender shape is not considered into the hoop design it can look like a bit of an afterthought. What fender are you using BTW? fits the bike nice. heres my z750twin project that I wrapped the hoop up and around the fender, with 1.5" over shocks.
IMG_4351_zpsjqfpboyt.jpg

IMG_1469_zpsbxxfmguq.jpg

Not sure where the fender came from, it was in one of the boxes that came with the bike, i think its from a 650csr.

I think i will be kicking the hoop up some more, as well as some longer shocks down the road. Id like to explore a more modern front end at some point as well, but thats far into the future.

sounds like you are on the right track. If you are going to move to a modern fork down the road I would recommend doing a little bit of gusseting/bracing to help deal with the stress transferred to the frame with stiffer suspension components. close tolerance motor mounts can be a big help in tying the frame together as well if you want to go all out. I think the most bang for the buck in regards to suspension to these olds KZs is to upgrade the shocks, get a fork brace, then swap swing-arm, then swap the forks; in that order. Going over bumps at speed in a turn, and you can feel that swing-arm twist...

Jboogie13 said:
This one has a rear drum brake, which i am going to leave since the rear brake doesn't really get used while riding, especially not with the dual front disks.

However, if it helps you at all, i know that the guys who ride their sport bikes at the track sometimes use a piece of clear plastic hose in place of their rear reservoir:

Something you may be interested in, as it will draw your eye a lot less than the big bowl, but is easier than relocating everything. Just make sure your rear setup is bled extra good, because you have less fluid you can draw in.

That's not a bad idea, thanks!

I'll follow this with interest as I decide what to do with my Z750e. I'm keeping it close to stock for now but I'm thinking brat tracker, flat seat, some Shinko 271 trials tires, braced bars maybe. Lots of dreaming... I like what you did with yours, too bad you never finished it off.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Rustyhama said:
I'll follow this with interest as I decide what to do with my Z750e. I'm keeping it close to stock for now but I'm thinking brat tracker, flat seat, some Shinko 271 trials tires, braced bars maybe. Lots of dreaming... I like what you did with yours, too bad you never finished it off.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Yeah, but in all honesty, i didnt have the skills to finish the bike back then.
I now defi itely have the ability, i just hope i can keep an attention to detail and do this one right i stead of just rushing to get it done and riding.

Why I have 2 bikes, keeps me from cutting too many corners, bike is looking good, think I will be headed the same way, want more of a brat than cafe, I wrecked my Aprilia 1000R 5 years ago and I don't think anything can replace that so something a little more cruising will be fun. Keep at it, mocked mine up on the floor tonight, waiting for the paint to dry so I can start putting it together and decide on ride levels, 2 inch is a lot of drop on the forks, thinking about longer shocks too to get rid of that Harley look.

Attachments

• configuration1.jpg
    configuration1.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 373
So im my own worst critic. I wasnt happy with how it would turn out from fixing my current setup so i decided to start from scratch:

IMG_20151110_110007_zpsaw6dszqo.jpg

Also, i think i may have found my answer to the electronics tray issues ive been having. if i mount the batter down low like this fella did:
photo7_zps3737face.jpg

My only concern would be road grime covering the battery. Would making an inner fender that extends down to the swingarm be sufficient?

either a hugger or a frame mounted fender would be suffiecent. you can make one quite easily by using the stock fender as a buck for some composite work.

0717141724_zps5c2c97ca.jpg

0722142249a_zps1c724a43.jpg

IMG_0164_zpsb9b734c9.jpg

a hugger would be perfect. unfortunately the original was not with the bike when i bought it. Will have to have a look on ebay for a used one from a modern sport bike and try to adapt it.

Thanks for the help guys!

End of my weekend wrap-up:

Got some work done on the switches, this one looks a little rough, but i think it will clean up nicely.
Still have to get to a milling machine and radius the back to curve around the bar, and still have to make a second one for the right side.

IMG_20151111_153917_zpsa9ola2xs.jpg

A little mock up:

IMG_20151111_153830_zpsjcxykaao.jpg

I also cleaned up the 78' cam cover, which doesn't have the emissions tubes, I also tapped the holes from the exhaust ports in the head and filled them with a set screw that is red loc-tited in.

20151111_173531_zpsfoyenb97.jpg

The threads on the EMGO throttle tube dont match up with the factory push cable, however i think i will run it with a single cable for now and deal with that later.
Next week i will hopefully have the hoop welded on and i can start messing around with the fenders.

I also found a nice crack in one of the coils, so i will need replacements. Does anybody know of a readily available source of coils from a more modern bike that would work? Something from a ZRX or a ZZR of some sort?

You mean a coil like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IGNITION-COIL-FITS-KAWASAKI-KZ750-B-KZ750B-1976-1977-1978-1979-/271474644968?fits=Make%3AKawasaki

I dig that you are making your own switch housing instead of buying one.

canyoncarver said:
You mean a coil like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IGNITION-COIL-FITS-KAWASAKI-KZ750-B-KZ750B-1976-1977-1978-1979-/271474644968?fits=Make%3AKawasaki

I dig that you are making your own switch housing instead of buying one.

Just ordered 2. Thanks! to be honest i hadn't gotten around to doing a search yet haha.

Zx-7 master cylinder is on the way, so i should have the handlebars sorted pretty soon, i also order a used rear tire hugger from an 08 r6, It looks like i should be able to trim and mount it pretty easily to keep the battery and engine clean.

s-l1600.jpg

So, after re-evaluating how much time i wanted to sink into making the switches, i decided to go a different route for now. I will be using these switches that i found on ebay for less than 10$, while still routing the wiring inside the bars for a still relatively clean look, and once the bike is back together i can get more into the minimalist switches.

Screenshot_2015-11-14-20-45-30_zpsfhnt755m_edit_1447552013947.png_zpsx7qkojgx.jpeg

Got some work done on the frame today.
fixed the hoop so it has better clearance and looks much cleaner, will finish closing the braces up tomorrow.

20151116_102022_zpsw9ci8xyw.jpg

I made a strut that is the same length as the shock at full compression, and lined it all up around that dimension.

Much better ( this is at full compression):

20151116_100949_zpsyveh3xjg.jpg

Ride height:

20151116_101313_zpskbgs8suq.jpg

ANd once i pick up some ZRX rear shocks it will add another inch in the rear. so i think we are all set now :D

Will also hopefully have the rear fender mounted tomorrow, so i can get the front shaped, that way i can work towards filling holes in, and getting them readyish for paint. Im trying to get most of the fab done before i move on to electrical, that way i know how/where everything will be mounted.

So i left off with the next thing on my list being to tackle the rear fender,
Done and done: (still have to fill some holes in, but its in its new home now)

20151117_153846_zpszabm1u4v.jpg

Then today i fiberglassed the electonics tray, because i finally accepted that it is way easier than making it out metal. Why didnt i do this int he first place?

Taping up and waxing the tape:

20151118_121104_zpszl2rs8k4.jpg

the wet layup:

20151118_152207_zpsbcnfp5md.jpg

Rough cut:

20151118_174805_zpsbrdyldx7.jpg

fit and finish:

20151118_174745_zpscqyzbmb8.jpg

20151118_174751_zpsgoqkw5ek.jpg

20151118_175202_zpshzh5dvw2.jpg

Opinions? input? the R/R will be mounted on the bottom so that it is in open air. And i am using a small case 8 cell Antigravity battery for size reference.

How are you mounting it? Remember that vibration cracks glass... Might not hurt to thicken that up a touch.

VonYinzer said:
How are you mounting it? Remember that vibration cracks glass... Might not hurt to thicken that up a touch.

I really don't think vibration will hurt this tray. I'm using rubber well nuts to mount it, since the total weight inside will be quite light. I may do one more layer on the outside tomorrow just to cover my bases and fill in some low spots. Fiberglass stands up to vibration pretty well in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom