1974 XL350 - Bob & Chop build - NEW NAME... PROJECT COPPER TOP!

SloKrt

Been Around the Block
Picked up another project this weekend! Still going steady on my XS650 build but the wife wanted a bobber... So for $300 I picked up this complete running XL350 since it is real light and she should be able to handle it easy enough. And as a bonus it came with a roller that I'll use for parts (what I can, lol) and mock up. The roller might turn into another project later.

This will be a winter project. Still kicking around ideas on what she wants and what im willing to let her get away with since ill end upnridingnit morenthan she will but leaning towards a pin up theme. Hey, what ever it takes to get another horse in the stable right?

100_2391.jpg

Re: 1974 XL350 - Bob & Chop build

No real work yet, but a lot of Planning. I have decided that im going to hard tail it. My neighbor came over the other night to help drink beer, stare at the roller, and brainstorm design details.

I'm going to have to figure out some kind of frame jig and go from there.

Has anyone ever built a frame jig? Any guidance is appreciated. In the meantime ill see what I can find on the web.

My tail section also hit the tire under weight. I extended my shocks to give it more clearance and tightened up the springs. So far so good, but I need to buy real shocks that are longer.

NEED HELP!!!!!!

Well, ive been trying to get this thing to start and run somewhat consistantly. It will start and run, but not every time. I checked the coil, ignition, changed the plug, and all work ed well. Started looking at the fuel system... put fresh gas in it and the carb is getting fuel. I need some help though. it will run if you keep the fuel off, then turn it on before starting the bike, give it a couple quick turns of the throttle and it fires right up. But if i leave the fuel on for any more than a few seconds, it seems to flud out and wont start. I also discovered that if i keep the fuel on, it will flood out and die but if i play with the fuel on/off while it is running, i can keep it running.
Also... Unless im a complete retard... I can't see where this carb has a choke.... the bike originally had one though so I dont think its original equipment.

I know very little about Carbs and tuning them so this is and will be a learning experience. To me it seems like the needle is sticking in the carb and fuel is filling the bowl then flooding out. Does this sound Correct?

Also, from all information i have found it doesnt look like i have the original carb on the bike, especially since it requires a radiator hose and a hole cut in the side cover to work for the intake.

Can anyone IDENTIFY this carb???
100_2573.jpg

Looks like a GL1000/GL1100 carb? Stuck float will cause your symptoms. Doesn't shut off the float needle and fuel just keeps coming. Check out Bikebandit Fiche for the GL 75-79 or 81-85 and you might find that is your carb. Can't hurt to pull it off, remove the flaot bowl and see if anything is bent or crooked etc. and stopping the float from moving.

It does look very much like a gl1000 carb. I'm going to have to take some better pictures and look for I'd marks of any kind. I'll take the it apart and clean it butt I figure I might as well get a rebuild kit (if I can I'd this carb and get the right one) or just find the right one for the bike. That might be the best route to take... Found one on eBay for $50 that I'm watching, I don't want to drive the price up on my self.... Maybe I can pick it up cheap.

Starting to make some progress. I can get the bike to start on the first or second kick. I even rode it around the neighborhood a little. I still will pull the carb apart clean it because of the flooding issue. At least I know it runs decent and I can start doing some real work.

I built a table to work on my bikes last weekend. I got tired of bending over all the time on my little stool.....lol so now I'm in the process of ree organizing the garage to give me space to work and be able to find tools when needed.

And finally! Since this is going to be a design build, I may change things as I go. I'll let the bike direct me. None the less parts are starting to be purchased to be ready for when I need them. The trip to the mc salvage yard... Actually an old guy with about 100 or so bikes on his ackerage,lol.... Resulted in $50 spent, a cool front fender, a possible rear fender, and a coil for my neighbors Honda cx650. Yesterday I found a tank on eBay for $35 shipped that i think I'll Use for this bike. The size seems to be what I'm looking for, and the price was right. ;D. I also ordered front and rear shinko 705's today, those will be here mid week next week. I'll post pics soon, cant get them from my camera to the iPad right now....

Small update. I havent made much progress, still gathering parts and materials. since im waiting on parts, I have spent my time getting the shop ready for all the work I have planned this winter. The shop re-organization is complete... now time to start actualy doing some work.
Shop.jpg

I have a few parts on the way... but wont start coming in till tomorrow, and im going out of town for work tomorrow. Hopefully there are a few godies waiting for me when i get home.

I piacked up a bandsaw on CL for $20 so i can make nice cutswhen fabbing stuff. also picked up this Bell R-T helmet.
BellHelmet.jpg

anyway, thats it for now.

Nice mate, i'm really looking forward to seeing this build come to life :)

Thank you sir!

The wife just got me a drill press for our anniversary.... What a woman! So gabbing will be a little smoother than in the past. Hopefully my parts accumulate while I'm gone and I can begin doing some real work! This will definitely be a fun build.

Well, I got home from my work trip and as anticipated. I had packages full of parts waiting for me!! ;D

as promised.... here are the pics.

First, the tank i picked up. it is in fairly good condition, needs to be stripped and painted but the inside is clean and the petcock is intact. Unfortunately, I dont think it fits the look im going for. still deciding wheather to keep it for another project down the road or sell it... we'll see.
100_2610.jpg

here it is just set on the roller to mock up and see how it looked.
100_2629.jpg

here are the tires ill be running - keeping a touch of the original dirtbike herritage that is in her blood.
100_2608.jpg

1-3/4" J bend and Jbend with 18" pipe and a 90 deg bend. This will be used to build my new exhaust 8).
100_2609.jpg

I also got fenders. Im prety sure ill use the front fender... still un decided. I dont think ill use the rear fender though... i want a longer rounder fender for the rear. ill decide once i get theframe hard tailed.
100_2606.jpg

100_2607.jpg

I also got my copper exhaust gasket/s but i need the collar before i can start fabbing the exhaust.

I have so far been unsuccessful in identifying what the carb on the bike is actually from. I have been trying to track down the proper carb but dont want to spend a mint, so my search goes on. My plan is to build this bike for $!,000 not including the price of the bike. (this is counting what i actually put on the bike)

Cash spent so far
$197 - Remaining budget $803

Well, I couldnt stare at it anymore.... the time has come to start tearing into this thing. finally got the bike up on the table and started the tear down. In the process i discovered a few things that will need attention. My neighbor and i spend a couple hours on it... more beer drinking than actual work, but progress none the less.

The header was only held in place by a hose clamp on the down tube, no copper gasket or mounting flange with bolts... might be in the market for a new head. if you look close, the hole on the right for the flange bolt is broken too. Should i just hunt for a new head, anyone have input here, is this salvagable?
100_2645.jpg

When we took the skid plate off, we discovered this. The frame is cracked (actually broken all the way through). Since im going to hard tail this, and the new lower frame will tie into the front down tube, this will be cut out anyway.
100_2636.jpg

Here is the stock headlight. The bracket is hideious, and i wont re-use that but i like the headlight. Ill probably end up re-using it after a bit of refinishing. I like the size and i want to re-use as much of the original parts as feasable.
100_2634.jpg

had this sweet K&N air filter tucked into the stock air box....
100_2631.jpg

Here is the parts that will either be sold on ebay or re-used.
100_2639.jpg

Deffinately wont be using the giant seat or fenders.
100_2641.jpg

and here is how she sits now!
100_2630.jpg

Im thinking it will be stretched 3 or 4 inches, but i like the stance now, doesnt look so much like a dirt bike now.

Re: 1974 XL350 - Bob & Chop build - LET THE FUN BEGIN... The Tear Down started

New development. During my lunch break today I stopped at a local bike shop a buddy recommended. The owner was a really cool guy, we talked for a bit and he showed me around. Turns out they work on all kinds of customs, not just the big Harley type choppers that are so common. He told me that one of his guys was really into cutting up metric bikes and doing cafe builds. What could be better, a local shop that caters to guys like me.....
Long story short, we talked about my buils/s and my plan to hardtail the 350. Well, to save time and keep this thing moving in a forward direction, I'm going to have them hardtail it for me. Will cost about the Same as what most kits cost(they dont make one for this bike) but he can have it done in 1 week. So, if all goes well, I'll be dropping this thing off the first week in October to get firmed up! Time to get to work stripping the rest of it!

I will probably still build a jig and hardtail one of my next projects, I just don't have all the equipment I'll need and that would cost more at this point than paying the shop to do it right the first time. Plus I want to keep my build going and be 100% finished next spring. This will definitely help.

Well, last night stripers came to the garage!

Ok, not actual strippers but that would have been interesting. just me and my neighbor, a 12 pack and we got the bike stripped down the rest of the way. also presure washed the bike. then started to strip the paint.
The front wheel cleaned up really well... ;D We forgot the rear one in the garage when we wnt to the car wash :mad:...

here is the photographic evidence.
100_2647.jpg

100_2648.jpg

100_2649.jpg

Question, where did you get the exhaust pipe parts for your pipe? also check out oldrice.com they have an XL board with some good info on these bikes. I believe a good carb swap for this bike is a 34mm Mikuni. It is on that web page. keep it up.

I ordered the exhaust pipe from speedway motors. They sell parts for racing and hot rods, they sell all types and sizes of pipe as well as different radius "U" bends.

I'll have to go and check out that site. Thanks for the tip!

cool project i got a 75 xl350 i was gona chop it but ive been having too much fun on the mountain with it itll probably get choped soon though.

No real notable progress this week. Sounds like it is a strong possibly that the farme will be done next week.

I did manage to get a manual ordered so I can have all the torq specs and wiring diagrams handy while re building the motor and re-wiring the bike.

I might be able to get some progress pics next week if I can meek it over to the shop to check things out.

Hooray progress! ;D ;D

They got started today. They called me in to tak about the details of east I wanted it to look like. So they will start with new metal tomorrow and call me back to check it out while just tacked together. Just in case I want to make any changes before finishing the welds.... I doubt I will!

Hopefully done by the weekend ;D

Sorry... Forgot to add the pic
d7f0125785270d146c18edee0938258b.jpg

Edited previous post with pic.

Back
Top Bottom