1983 Honda Sabre Bobber

tenseventythree

Picked up a thrashed and dirty Honda Sabre and I'm thinking a chopper or a bobber. Step one I guess is the teardown.
9upanu9u.jpg
u9uvu8y4.jpg
6yhyzagu.jpg

1969 Suzuki M15-2
1971 Honda CB350
2012 Triumph Bonneville T100

This machine is my daily driver (at least, once I get back to the states it will be again), and I've always scratched my head about what could be done to fun it up a little. I'll be watching closely. Give it hell!

BTW, if you eliminate the ugly-ass instrument cluster, sell it off on ebay. They're stupid expensive, and plenty of owners are living with busted ones. It could go a long way toward funding your build.

Cheers!

buzznichols said:
This machine is my daily driver (at least, once I get back to the states it will be again), and I've always scratched my head about what could be done to fun it up a little. I'll be watching closely. Give it hell!

BTW, if you eliminate the ugly-ass instrument cluster, sell it off on ebay. They're stupid expensive, and plenty of owners are living with busted ones. It could go a long way toward funding your build.

Cheers!

I have no idea if it works but I totally plan on doing that. Less is more in all my projects.

1969 Suzuki M15-2
1971 Honda CB350

cool project and those motors make good power with a lovely sound ;D
how does it run ? some had serious issues it would be wise to get it up and running tuned and all that before you put a ton of work in the looks mods
http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/V4_cams.html

xb33bsa said:
cool project and those motors make good power with a lovely sound ;D
how does it run ? some had serious issues it would be wise to get it up and running tuned and all that before you put a ton of work in the looks mods
http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/V4_cams.html

As far as I can tell it doesn't run at all. I figure I would tear it down so I can kinda inventory what all I've got. And then get it running. And then work on the look. As soon as I get it to purr a bit then I'll break out the grinder and go to work.
I got it for $220 so if I can keep the whole thing under a grand, I'll call it a win.

1969 Suzuki M15-2
1971 Honda CB350

Man with an engine like that I would get it to run first. Would suck to get it torn down then back together and realize that you can't find a specific part that you need. I have an 83 nighthawk and certain parts are very hard to find. Depending on what you want the end result to be, under a grand may go up in smoke. Stuff adds up quickly and it can nickle and dime you to death.

clem said:
Man with an engine like that I would get it to run first. Would suck to get it torn down then back together and realize that you can't find a specific part that you need. I have an 83 nighthawk and certain parts are very hard to find. Depending on what you want the end result to be, under a grand may go up in smoke. Stuff adds up quickly and it can nickle and dime you to death.
Yeah this thing is covered with dirt and leaves. But I am totally gonna get the motor running before I drop any significant amount of coin on it.

1969 Suzuki M15-2
1971 Honda CB350

Cool man. Good luck. If those 80's hondas have the same charging setup I believe there are issues with battery charging that is common with my nighthawk. Thats why mine sat up for years. Lol

So far so tough. After freeing the engine, we're having a tough time indexing the cams as the cam chain is TIGHT and won't let the cams seat.
With the exception of going back in time and marking stuff, is there a trick?

1969 Suzuki M15-2
1971 Honda CB350

Love my V45, but not always working on it. ::)

Lots of good info on www.v4musclebike.com

I've gone through a few spark boxes, working on adapting a V65 Dynatek on mine.

http://home.comcast.net/~tjhafner/V4-spark.htm

^ this guy just started producing replacement spark boxes, good reviews so far.

I've got a crashed 82 Sabre thats torn down into many pieces, if you find yourself in need of something PM me.

Also, to avoid future cam problems, there are several modifications available to aid in top end oiling.

http://www.v4market.com/Lube-Two-Line-Oil-Mod_p_156.html

rusche said:
Love my V45, but not always working on it. ::)

Lots of good info on www.v4musclebike.com

I've gone through a few spark boxes, working on adapting a V65 Dynatek on mine.

http://home.comcast.net/~tjhafner/V4-spark.htm

^ this guy just started producing replacement spark boxes, good reviews so far.

I've got a crashed 82 Sabre thats torn down into many pieces, if you find yourself in need of something PM me.
Thanks I'll keep you in mind

1969 Suzuki M15-2
1971 Honda CB350

Ok I discovered that in addition to lining up the timing marks that correspond to the pair of cylinders and lowering the valve lifters, it helps if one releases the chain tension on the tensioner with a long screwdriver. The cams just snap in after that.
There needs to be an idiot's forum with baby steps.
So yeah.

1969 Suzuki M15-2
1971 Honda CB350

Back
Top Bottom