www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Finding three tenths of a louzy second.  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Scooter trash

Re: Finding three tenths of a louzy second.
« Reply #20 on: Aug 28, 2017, 21:25:03 »
Are you running a two step ?  I cant imagine launching that high in the revs is needed. What is your boost at launch? Are you running a boost controller?

You don't get any boost without a load, no, not running a two step.
Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #21 on: Aug 28, 2017, 21:28:54 »
AMS 2000...little expensive but I bet it would get you a better launch and boost control.  Launching that high in the rpms can't be productive.

Offline Scooter trash

« Reply #22 on: Sep 10, 2017, 00:35:39 »
9.23 @ 153 getting closer.

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #23 on: Sep 10, 2017, 13:07:20 »
This might be a dumb question, but have you removed the rev limiter? You can usually get an extra 1000 RPM over where the manufacturer sets the redline (assuming you don't mind rebuilding engines a little more often).
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline Scooter trash

« Reply #24 on: Sep 14, 2017, 00:45:15 »
Because the torque peak is 8500 rpms, we go slower at a higher rpm, even though the hp is higher. Torque seems to be the pulling factor, hp is a weird factor that doesn't always bear fruit.

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #25 on: Sep 14, 2017, 02:15:24 »
Might be worth a try anyway. In my experience, horsepower is the more important factor in determining acceleration.

From a mathematical standpoint, acceleration is just a function of force and mass. Increasing force or lowering mass will raise acceleration. But because the forces we're talking about are measured through the wheels, with gearing being involved, horsepower is the real number. NA engines usually want to be wound out to near redline anyway.

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #26 on: Sep 14, 2017, 07:51:08 »
Might be worth a try anyway. In my experience, horsepower is the more important factor in determining acceleration.

From a mathematical standpoint, acceleration is just a function of force and mass. Increasing force or lowering mass will raise acceleration. But because the forces we're talking about are measured through the wheels, with gearing being involved, horsepower is the real number. NA engines usually want to be wound out to near redline anyway.
Nope.  Horsepower is torque/time.

Torque is more important for acceleration than horsepower.  It's all about the force that wheel contacts the road, and must be greater than resistance to motion.  Resistance to motion is the total of all of the friction, rolling resistance, and air resistance that is exerted on the motorcycle, and these values of resistance change as the speed of his motorcycle changes.  When force generated at the tire contact point is greater than the total resistance of his motorcycle, the motorcycle will accelerate.  The greater difference between tire force and resistance, the greater the acceleration.   

When you increase force you increase acceleration.  Wheels connect to axle, which connect to final drive, which connect to motor, so force at the contact point (tire to road) is the torque generated by the axle (force x distance = torque).  As a result, when you increase the torque at the drive axle, you accelerate more quickly. 

Offline farmer92

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #27 on: Sep 14, 2017, 09:42:44 »
Nope.  Horsepower is torque/time.

Torque is more important for acceleration than horsepower.  It's all about the force that wheel contacts the road, and must be greater than resistance to motion.  Resistance to motion is the total of all of the friction, rolling resistance, and air resistance that is exerted on the motorcycle, and these values of resistance change as the speed of his motorcycle changes.  When force generated at the tire contact point is greater than the total resistance of his motorcycle, the motorcycle will accelerate.  The greater difference between tire force and resistance, the greater the acceleration.   

When you increase force you increase acceleration.  Wheels connect to axle, which connect to final drive, which connect to motor, so force at the contact point (tire to road) is the torque generated by the axle (force x distance = torque).  As a result, when you increase the torque at the drive axle, you accelerate more quickly.

I agree with everything here but would like to add one thing.
Horsepower is unit of power, how much work is being done in a given time. Work is a force times displacement. So hp dictates force*displacement /time.  The top speed.

If a vehicle has a cvt transmission, then keeping the engine at max hp would give max wheel torque, but with fixed gearing the engine torque and wheel torque are linearly related.

I know you know this, just thought it would help others perhaps.

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #28 on: Sep 14, 2017, 10:54:43 »
Here's a dyno of HD's new 107 engine.

Peak torque occurs directly off of idle.

I'd still be inclined to give it some revs if getting from point A to point B were my goal.

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #29 on: Sep 14, 2017, 10:58:39 »
Here's a dyno of HD's new 107 engine.

Peak torque occurs directly off of idle.

I'd still be inclined to give it some revs if getting from point A to point B were my goal.
Where's acceleration over time in your chart?  That's a dyno graph.  How much time transpired from the beginning to end of their data log.  This is about getting something from point A to point B (which is a short distance of 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile) in the shortest amount of time possible.  You're missing a most basic theory of physics and drag racing.