UJM fate - I vote STOP ruining awesome bikes, build rad Cafe's out of the rest!

^^^ perfect example. love it, hate it, indifferent, the dude did whatever the heck he wanted with that bike (assuming the guy riding it built it). CBX's aren't rare. Honda gave them away when they were new to tech schools because they weren't selling, and now, just because gray haired old men that collect them to sit in their garage next to their argyle sock and vest collection, no one else is "supposed to" be able to do what they want with their bike. He made that bike what he wanted it to be, and whether you like it or not, at least it doesn't look like every other one out there.

All this is not to mention the fact that this is posted on a site that is pretty much dedicated to modifying old bikes into customs or specials or whatever. I would guess asking this question on a restoration forum would likely yield opinions closer to your original post.

Sav0r said:
custom-honda-cbx-13-625x417.jpg

Perfect combination: looks shitty and dangerous!

I will never hesitate to modify or change a "classic" be it honda or a caddy
There is a point where a very good condition vehicle might be valued higher than a modified - I have a 1927 Dodge Brothers truck - if that thing was in perfect condition with the wood frame and wheels/tires it would be pretty valuable - but as it sits now I can off it as a "project" for $8k easily.

"ruined" bikes and cares is just an opinion. and someone elses opinion is different than mine. I think the stock CB350s look horrible, the mirros and seats are ugly. I like most cafe versions 100x better

Hey, I am all for custom bikes, I wouldn't be on this site otherwise. I'm also all for plaid-shirted and tattooed hipsters who learned how to weld after they finished art school expressing themselves. Also some custom CBX sixes have been some of my favourite builds but to my eye this build is a piece of shit. It's a nice engine placed in a frame that can't handle the power, would be difficult to hop from one bar to the next closest one and is not visually pleasing either, those are the reasons I ask why. Just my opinion :)

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Hey, I am all for custom bikes, I wouldn't be on this site otherwise. I'm also all for plaid-shirted and tattooed hipsters who learned how to weld after they finished art school expressing themselves. Also some custom CBX sixes have been some of my favourite builds but to my eye this build is a piece of shit. It's a nice engine placed in a frame that can't handle the power, would be difficult to hop from one bar to the next closest one and is not visually pleasing either, those are the reasons I ask why. Just my opinion :)

bikers have been wearing plaid, beards and tattoos since the late 60s early 70s... it's not new, it's not hipsters. that said, I got a lot of looks on my bike in "proper" dainese D1 gear head to toe...

as for that bike handling the power... it does, they road it at Texas speedway - you may not be aware of who Revival Cycles is... but you should check them out, they do restorations too.. the CBX is a museum piece but they refuse to have something that doesn't also function - so it was engineered to really ride and work

MiniatureNinja said:
(...)to really ride and work

“really ride”?
Maybe for a few photos.... toss that thing in some hills and real twisties (even well paved at that) and you would be hearing the sad sound of it hitting the concrete if it were to attempt to even trail others with a 1/2 mile to a mile gap....
Or better yet the next turn at the speedway in 4 gear...

As I said above, to each his own.
But the particular bike in question shouldn’t really be used to justify the fact that modifying a bike to that extent maintains functionality. To be frank, it doesn’t. Interesting? Yes! I’d agree, that is an interesting and artistic take for a CBX. Well beyond my own CREATIVITY and to that I tip my cap. I can see many hours/months of labor went into that.
But does it”really ride”? Nah.

Also, MinitureNinja I just sub’d to your build thread earlier today! I respect the work and mentality you have towards your build.
You seem to understand and furthermore hold importance to the function aspect and “ride” of a motorcycle as do all other commenters of this thread.

Ninja,
Gotta call BS on that. Maybe "hyperbole" would be a better term. It looks like they rode it at the speedway but there is no way that is rideable under any sort of "normal" riding conditions where it would be required to stop or handle.

It's a rolling art piece and that's fine for what it is. Of course, most show specials are not really rideable in the real world are they?

teazer said:
Ninja,
Gotta call BS on that. Maybe "hyperbole" would be a better term. It looks like they rode it at the speedway but there is no way that is rideable under any sort of "normal" riding conditions where it would be required to stop or handle.

It's a rolling art piece and that's fine for what it is. Of course, most show specials are not really rideable in the real world are they?

Word. I respect it. Just hard to see it in the light of being usable. But also, it’s a CBX....not many people daily ride a CBX, so to the topic at hand I guess it’s okay for this particular model to become that...?
Plus who knows, maybe this started without a complete bike at hand, just a box of parts? And if it did, refer to my 4th sentence in this reply.

MiniatureNinja said:
bikers have been wearing plaid, beards and tattoos since the late 60s early 70s... it's not new, it's not hipsters. that said, I got a lot of looks on my bike in "proper" dainese D1 gear head to toe...

as for that bike handling the power... it does, they road it at Texas speedway - you may not be aware of who Revival Cycles is... but you should check them out, they do restorations too.. the CBX is a museum piece but they refuse to have something that doesn't also function - so it was engineered to really ride and work

I like a lot of Revival bikes but not this one and nothing against plaid shirts or tattoos :)

The only problem I have with hipsters is "they know what they got". I have seen so many 70s honda bikes here that are in boxes, ran when torn down, no title, but they want $2k "firm, I know what these are worth".

I think the bikes that actually have value for being what they are tend to have a higher price. Kawasaki H1/H2, CBX, and a few others are, even unrestored, selling for more than a restored/restomod CB____ 4cylinder.

MiniatureNinja said:

Museum piece you say? From the article;

This is no museum queen!

Then on the next line;

The Six can exclusively be seen at the Haas Moto Museum in Dallas, Texas between now and April 2019, when the intention is to show it off just once at the Handbuilt Motorcycle Show in Austin, Texas, over MotoGP weeken

So it's a museum piece but it isn't. As Chicken said, the thing still looks shitty and dangerous, not that I have a problem with that. I think it's great.

I love the engineering in that hub centre steer, but the bike is not my cup of tea.

Each to his own.

Ichiban Moto said:
please help .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbu6nXV3xZ4

we could just shut this thread down and live vicariously through the people that have already commented on this video lol Its pretty much the same conversation over there ;)

I am by no means defending that "cbx" you can see from their Revival Dayly" they refuse to call it a CBX, many times saying "it's NOT a cbx"

I think it's ugly and I hate it - but it does function. There was a lot of engineering into making sure that it does. No it won't keep up with most other bikes in spirited riding, but that's not what it's for.

that said I am building my bike to beat other bikes - specifically my friends 900 and 750s

the look I have achieved from my build is a result of it's function - and I am super stoked about that - I have always wanted it to look "purpose built" not "pretty built" - to me, THAT is what a Cafe Racer is

MiniatureNinja said:
I am by no means defending that "cbx" you can see from their Revival Dayly" they refuse to call it a CBX, many times saying "it's NOT a cbx"

I think it's ugly and I hate it - but it does function. There was a lot of engineering into making sure that it does. No it won't keep up with most other bikes in spirited riding, but that's not what it's for.

that said I am building my bike to beat other bikes - specifically my friends 900 and 750s

the look I have achieved from my build is a result of it's function - and I am super stoked about that - I have always wanted it to look "purpose built" not "pretty built" - to me, THAT is what a Cafe Racer is

I agree, there is a lot of engineering and skill that went into this bike and these guys do some great work, I just think this one is a turd but it serves it's purpose, it catches your eye and they created what they wanted to create.

Tim said:
I think absolutely nothing has changed in the 100 years or so of people customizing their motorcycles. There have always been amateurs, hacks, people with bad taste...
The thing that HAS changed is we all have cameras to take pictures of our crap so you get to see the full spectrum of stuff out there.

Chop them up.
Hurco550 said:
That's not to mention the fact that it's the owners choice. If I want to save up my money and buy a Ferrari, only to hack it up, spray bomb it and swap the motor for a small block Chevy, who cares, does it affect you? No. You could've spent your money, bought the Ferrari and saved it. Only difference is, a vintage jap bike isn't a Ferrari. Not trying to be a jerk, but I dont know where people get off thinking they have any reason or power to tell people what they should or shouldn't do with their own stuff. Especially if it's not someone asking for advice. Wanna resto and preserve old bikes, do it, if you don't, hack them. You wanna let it rot in your yard, cool, it's YOUR BIKE.

^---- These.
If your name is on the title, build it however you want. You're the only one that needs to be happy with it.
Because if you're building it to make the masses happy, you've missed the point of building one.

And for those who wish to stand on soapboxes...
its-now-very-common-to-hear-people-say-im-rather-11860519.png

Back
Top Bottom