CL175 electrical issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jammer415

Been Around the Block
So I got my hands on this CL175 from a neighbor who had it in his garage for like 5 years.

I replaced the coil, plugs, wires, condenser, rebuilt the carbs... Got it running great. Then unfortunately didn’t touch it for about six months while life happened, and focused on other bikes with any time I did have.

Now, when I turn the key... It’s like the battery is dead (no power to the system).

While looking around and inspecting what it could be, I noticed that now the green Neautral light was on! I tried starting the bike... It would not start.

I tried to turn on the headlight to see if it worked... Right when I hit the headlight switch, the green neatrual light turned off, and back to no power.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Multimeter results:

Battery at terminals: 12.4V

Either sides of the fuse terminal: 11.96V and 11.88V

Ignition switch: OFF position - Only red wire gets power (11.75V)
Ignition switch: ON position - Red and black wires get power (red 11.70V and black 11.65V)

Should the brown and brown/white wires from from ignition switch be getting power too?

If the coil or condenser is fried... Would the headlight/horn still work?

Wondering what else I can do to diagnose?

Input a fresh battery in... The green light was on and horn worked, but when I turned the headlights on, everything shut down again as if the battery died.

After disconnecting/reconnecting the battery and waiting a few moments, the green light was on again.

I checked for spark... Only getting spark on the right side. Could this explain the system shutting down when the headlight gets turned on?

Locking this one. Duplicate thread of http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=75659.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom