rickman restoration

Rickman101

ill keep this short and sweet.
for a while i have been restoring my fathers old rickman. the following photos will show you the state it started in, and although its nowhere near complete, im sure some of you will be interested. :)

also, i am taking all precautions will the renickelling.
DSCF3973.jpg

DSCF3974.jpg

DSCF3967.jpg

DSCF3980.jpg

DSCF3982.jpg

this is still getting fixed, is had to be stripped before the repair. so its not yet been renickelled. just stripped.
DSCF4006.jpg

purchased an engine.
DSCF3978.jpg

and here are some odds and ends:
DSCF4002.jpg

DSCF4056.jpg

DSCF4051.jpg

DSCF4114.jpg

DSCF4118.jpg

wont be using this exhaust system, but its still badass
DSCF4155.jpg

DSCF4158.jpg

DSCF4210.jpg

DSCF4213.jpg

DSCF4214.jpg

engine painted:
IMG_4194.jpg

DSC00213.jpg

and finally, my other honda:
CDbiD5B2kKGrHqIOKiYE0D7ErOBNOhd51D_14-1.jpg

ill try and keep you guys upto date, but its a slow moving project. the goal is to have it finished by november

WHat are you two talking about? Rickmann has been making Honda specific kits for decades. Jeez... Hahaha.

Looks cool so far man. Keep up the great work!

whats this i hear about blasphemy!?
haha, they made the kawas and hondas during the same time period and they pretty much identical parts. the hondas use stock honda side guards though.

if you werent aware they made kits for honda, your probably also unaware they made kits for triumphs. i bet the rickman brothers would be a bit upset if they found out people were going around thinking otherwise.

you showed up on caferacer.net a while back right?

glad to see the project i still moving along

what work did you do to the engine?
what are your plans for the suspension?
what is that other tank in the pics?

Rickman101 said:
whats this i hear about blasphemy!?
haha, they made the kawas and hondas during the same time period and they pretty much identical parts. the hondas use stock honda side guards though.

if you werent aware they made kits for honda, your probably also unaware they made kits for triumphs. i bet the rickman brothers would be a bit upset if they found out people were going around thinking otherwise.

Haha, I meant no offence.

What I meant was that when a British guy like myself thinks of a Rickman I think of a triumph engined, Nickle plated frame, Green painted racing machiene. That said, The honda engines are certainly easier to come by now-adays

Arent some of the first Rickmanns Japanese bikes? I dont know much about them, but I know Ive seen restored cb750 and Kawasakis from the early 70s a number of times.

Sellar work on the engine, it looks awesome, what did you use to get the engine fins to finish up so nice and flat???

owners choice as always,and a japanese engine is not uncommon.
i did an all black cb but i do like the fins burnished on your's....nice touch.
see your adding the lucas copy turn signals!
good luck,joe @vcycle

i did show up on caferacer forum a while back. im posting most of the stuff up on customfighters though. nothing new to add yet.

the lucas copy indicators are great! i dont think i would have found any real ones that quality and i didnt want to settle with standard cb750 ones.

before painting and everything i filed the fins back a touch just to have them all line up and flat around the edge. then after painting i re filed the paint off. easy. came out great.

the jap rickmans look better than the older all english ones, in my opinion.
haha i took no offence, its all good.

i did a rd350 engine overhaul for a fellow and had to do the cyl/hd blk with polished fin edges. we had it powdercoated black and then with 320/400 on a square jitter bug sander removed the p/c from the edges of the fins...came out great if anyone is looking for an alternate way to finish their project ...........later,joe @vcycle

Did you re nickle plate the frame or were you able to clean off the rust? I have a TZ race bike with Nickle plated frame that has a lot of surface rust and so far I have not been able to polish it out.

Re nickeled it. If you dont want to pay the big dollars, take it to a polisher and just ask if they could do it. You would be surprised how good an experienced polisher can bring it up. But even with that, it could still be expensive.

With the Rickman, there was no other option. The frame was damaged and to get it repaired the nickel had to come off anyway. Im glad i got it redone though, its got 2 layers of copper and 3 layers of Nickel. So basically, the nickel will be good for many years and it wont be an issue to get it polished. With your bike, its just the question whether you want to spend money/if its worth it.

Thanks. With mine, it's a race bike and nickel doesn't make it any faster but does tend to make it harder to repair the inevitable cracks. And I just replaced the rear subframe with new chrome moly and modified the rear engine mounts to rubber mount the rear of the motor. I see a rattle can in its future.

That Rickman does look nice and I agree that it had to have fresh nickel.

Back
Top Bottom