1988 Ducati 900 Super Sport Cafe Racer

Dale said:
In the meantime, here's the black option with red frame. Im just going through some of the typical factory colour schemes Ducat has put out...

Ducati_900_ss_D02.jpg

Do you have this one with a Gold frame ? If that looks cool I don't have to paint my frame 8)

Starting to zero in on a look and it's looking good. Who was the time bandit that sent me off to Radical and stole an enjoyable hour of my time? Of course 916 type frames have no rear section apart form a small bolt on part - way more minimalist, but not really an option here.

But it reminds us that the subframe only holds up the seat and electrics and provide a convenient place for footpegs. If you are taking the grinder to it anyway, it might be a good idea to raise that lower strut so it runs basically along the lower edge of the underseat tray. Same angle as now but higher up and in thin wall chrome moly.

That would make the back end lighter looking and cleaner.

And how about some white wheels or gold to go with the all red cycle parts and black motor. :)

I think the Duc frame is too cool to hide. It needs to be red. Or if you want retro, the dull gold frame. It made me sad when I heard a rumor that Ducati is going away from their trademark tube frame designs and towards alloy twin spar frames. Oh well, my Duc will become a classic sooner than later.

eyhonda said:
It made me sad when I heard a rumor that Ducati is going away from their trademark tube frame designs and towards alloy twin spar frames.

It's not a rumor. Check out the subframe on the latest Monsters:
M-796_2011_B_[1067x600].jpg

Or for that matter, the new Panigale, which doesn't have a traditional frame at all.
ducati-1199-frame.jpg

teazer said:
But it reminds us that the subframe only holds up the seat and electrics and provide a convenient place for footpegs.

This is the truth.

DesmoDog said:
It's not a rumor.

Ive been trying very hard to like the Pinigale. Back in 1998, I got my first Monster. Was introduced to the trellis frame. Along with the signature L-twin, the trellis frame defined the motorcycle for me. AS beautiful as the Desmosedici RR is, the GP12 was such a handful to tame, that not even the talent of Vale could get it on the podium. At the same time, Checa is winning the SBK on the "1198" - the trellis framed beauty that felt like an updated Tamborini designed Ducati Superbike. The end of an era. I hope not.

Here's a soundclip of the bike when I got it. The carbs are a bit clogged up, and it wasn't at optimal temperature, but still sounding decent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-LA-FJfI7c&context=C34e451dADOEgsToPDskKSk6oBBf-USXfFh1XD6sAC

YES! This looks like the start of a great build! I cannot wait to see how this ends up looking like. I hope you plan on doing a vid or two. Subscribed!

Ludacity said:
This thread has inspired me to dump my current CB450 build and start looking for a 900ss. Thanks..... :)

You're welcome. :)

Tetter > should have an update in the next week or so...

Nice! I have a 1995 900ss SP that I've converted to something very similar except frame half fairing, seat, tank, wheels, exhaust all done in black. I got the bike really cheap as it needed some work and the fairings were toast. The 70's 900ss's and seeing the Union 900ss on Pipeburn really inspired me. I also just agreed to buy a 1979 900ss in black and gold so I now have the original to go with it.
Still not together and both are at the shop but I should have them here in 2-3 weeks, will post pics.

The painter is taking his sweet time, looks like a month or so before it is on the road.
Dale any update on your build? It'd be nice to see someone's 900ss project moving along!

hi, im trying to do the same to my ducati 900s. but don't know what do with all the wires i have now ive taken the fairing off. just wondering what you have done.

Hey Dale...... haven't been on here much lately and have just noticed this build. Glad you came over to the Dark....errr.... I mean Duc side. I see you have also returned to your Guzzi project. You might check and make sure the cylinder studs aren't broken....... they are really fun to change and lots of the early 900s broke their studs. On the SS I just bought ($1200) somebody torqued the heads to about 100 ft/lbs and broke three of them. Engine had to come out to do the vertical cylinder. Total cost on mine was 2500 USD counting new paint and parts. Have fun with this one....... it is gonna' be really cool....... 8) 8) 8).

Good to see you here again. Been a while.

Yeah, Ive got to split the motor anyway, so Ill come across this issue if it exists... :)

Wiring is is a mess as well.

This project is definitely on the back burner until I get the Guzzi done.

Looking forward to putting some energy into it, a its a cool bike!

Back
Top Bottom