1980 Suzuki gs850g hill climb build

Raab242

Just picked up this turd. I'm planning on building this for the Appalachian moto jam hill climb events in Monticello New York in the winter. I built one earlier this year it was a Honda cl175 its on here somewhere I called it the "juicer"

Well I am that lame guy and only took one photo I apologize ill upload more this week. It needs all basic fluids/maintenance/ plugs etc. I don't know the condition of the carbs yet. Ill be tearing it apart soon. I was just too excited and wanted to start a build already. Enjoy or be disappointed in the future. I am building what I want and for the purpose of hill climbs and a field bomber so enough talking here's the one and only current photo haha (my brother in law helped me drag it out of a barn, he's in the photo)

99f4b7ee3c3a380d1408f29dc89e61f9.jpg

Sent from my LG-K425 using DO THE TON mobile app

a GS850 - dude that'll get you up the hill and no mistake. That thing looks in pretty decent shape mate, here's to onwards and upwards (literally)

The Jimbonaut said:
a GS850 - dude that'll get you up the hill and no mistake. That thing looks in pretty decent shape mate, here's to onwards and upwards (literally)
Haha thank you! Yeah its been tucked away in a barn so I will be going over everything on it, I'm hoping the carbs just need a good cleaning vs buying new ones but we'll see!

Join up over at GS Resources if you haven't already and read their tech articles on charging and carb cleaning. They are the 2 main issues with the GS bikes. Other than that they are pretty robust.

Although, I doubt the 850 would make an ideal hill climb bike as it is really heavy - and being a shaft drive it's not as easy as a chain drive bike to lengthen the swingarm.

Thank you I haven't joined that yet, I will be keeping the rear stock at the moment. I heard/read that the carbs are one of the main issues but if you get them cleaned snd in good order I was told these bikes run forever and are super reliable.

This bike weighs a ton I do plan on scrapping a lot of parts/weight the beat I can. I'm thinking of possibly doing a hard tail too but thats in the air at the moment. I want to see how it runs first

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Will a driveshaft be okay for hill climbing?

I managed to do the un-do-able one day and put the gearbox of a GS850G out through the side of the cases (but the GPZ1100 didn't win the traffic lights race) and the shaft drive suffered no ill effects whatsoever, should be fine for competition

if anyone tells you the gearboxes of either GS850's or Vmax's are bulletproof, don't believe them

Well I took the tank off to look inside thinking it was gping to be a nightmare and it ended up being better than I expected. There was some gas left in it and has a tint of brown (sorry didnt tske a photo ill try to later) I plan on doing a deep clean of the tank and if I have to ill seal/coat the inside but I highly doubt ill need to. Me being lame again only took one photo so here it is....ill try to take more later

Raab242 said:
We'll find out haha

Ha ha, go for it!

You won't have to worry about a chain getting all muddied up and the suspension reaction of a driveshaft would raise the rear and put more weight on the front wheel, I think, and this seems like a good idea for hill climbing. Just surmising.

b2e7a78604d6d019066ddbdc9ebd3b40.jpg

Did a quick drain od the tank and was happy to know that it was just a tad brown without chunks and this was how the petcock looked which from sitting for 7 plus years I will take that! I just hope when I open up the carbs they are clean.

The air filter looks almost brand new knock on wood so well see..here are crappy quick photos

667db2726949125430ac8f1e88dcf59d.jpg

87fa092afc29c3a29248d2771fe45e41.jpg

Well I have a deadline I need to try to have it done by! October 29 if its not done ill be going to film and cheer on my friends and family who will be attending
005ff32a4137fea24b15b55b73bd1a85.jpg

Things I need to do by then clean/check carbs, reseal case cover (I read its really common) clean tank, replace all lines, plugs and get tires! I hope I can get it done in time. I have a 4 month old so my time is super limited on this but keep your fingers crossed!

54573f21ec7ff88f8e076cc9338fecb9.jpg

Cleaning and putting a new gasket on so this one wont leak. Next step will be ignition wiring to have a toggle switch and maybe a new push start location...I'm slacking but finally got a little time to work on the sloth today and will be tomorrow

I need to get it running and at least get a rear tire for this climb ill be positive about it haha

sorry for a boring update

Well I'm nervous now..I believe this is the timing chain tensioner? Which is not good (this was a spare bike for my uncle) but the bolts are twisted in maybe 2 turns and its just loose flopping around if I touch it. From what ive read it has to be tdc before you adjust anything so it doesnt jump a tooth.....how would I know if it jumped a tooth?

I think this bike might go back into the storage where I got it from haha I do not want to tear into this just because it has 4 cylinders I wouldnt of cared as much if it was a twin like my old Honda. I dont know how confident I am to tear into because I hate timing chains.
If anyone has input thank you

I have a few pictures, sorry the carbs are still on so its hard to see

bcff3c82ff4d20f6d16af26bdd167639.jpg

62a07bb790f8e0bfe6b39414d371765c.jpg

dd69b1df931ec3608483ad12506ac08f.jpg

Also I put gasket maker on the cover some may hate it but I dont care it leaked so bad and I don't want to dump alot of money into it before I find out what is going on with this turf

2768e70440488ccb223d384513c4a01a.jpg

6254eb4c50be7f2b0fa2667361f58949.jpg

I did a little overkill on it just because

Raab242 said:
bcff3c82ff4d20f6d16af26bdd167639.jpg

62a07bb790f8e0bfe6b39414d371765c.jpg

dd69b1df931ec3608483ad12506ac08f.jpg

Also I put gasket maker on the cover some may hate it but I dont care it leaked so bad and I don't want to dump alot of money into it before I find out what is going on with this turf

2768e70440488ccb223d384513c4a01a.jpg

6254eb4c50be7f2b0fa2667361f58949.jpg

I did a little overkill on it just because

I suggest you get yourself a workshop manual and familiarise yourself with the valve timing proceedure. DO NOT TRY AND START OR TURN OVER THE MOTOR WITH THE TENSIONER UNDONE LIKE THAT.

Yes - I was yelling.

As for your gasket goo icing - you do realise that pretty much for whatever oozes out the outside of the cover, there is the same amount on the inside? Where will that end up if it comes loose?

Yeah I was already thinking that, to everything you said. I plan on getting one and a new gasket.

Ive been reading up on the tensioner but I want to have the manual so I do it correctly not just guessing by a why someone tells me too. I just got too excited with the goop haha

Back
Top Bottom