Wonton CJ360T Bob

Wonton

Ba-da-bop-bop-baaaaaaah..........I'm bobbin it! After six month of looking I finally found a good candidate for my next project ( first here at DTT). Just brought home a "76" CJ360T. PO said he had it running last year. More like three years from what I can tell, mouse nest in the filters and sour gas. Good news though, I got it running..... kinda. It ran for 3 seconds. Good enough, now I can dig into the carbs and do'em right. Only bad thing is, PO turned it into an ice racer so the bike has been stripped of most of the goodies that I could have sold to help finance my project. Game on!

Yep, hard tailing it. Close to the one I built last year (see pic). I think I will shoot for the same design, only 1 or 2 inches shorter, minus forward pegs and jockey shift. I might try superbike or drag bars on this one. Maybe even a 21" front wheel.

Attachments

• DSC02148.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 510
I want to hardtail my 360, but keep the stretch to the bare minimum. That other bike you built looks amazing! Good job ;)

Yep I agree, I'll be following this one for sure. Any progress?

Only progress as of late is gathering all of the major parts that make up the profile of the bike........... tank, wheel, headlight, seat,fender etc. I'm atleast halfway there, then I will be on to cutting , bending and welding. I'm trying a different approach this time around. My goal right now is to have all the parts on hand so that I am not dissassembling the bike multiple times to modify their fit. I think this way, once I hardtail the frame I will be able to do one mock-up, one tare down and one final assembly. Thats the idea anyway. I should have a pic of my parts pile within a few weeks.

Found some time over the weekend to fill some divits in the tank that I will be using on this project. First time using lead. Largest dent was 3"dia. x 1" deep. Very easy to work with and the resulting visual effect should go well with the ratty finish I have planned for this build ;)

Attachments

• DSC02277.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 426
ok... Ill bite... tell me more about the lead man... i have brazed but never done lead... that would be great for fixing dents in powder... i would love to learn!!!

If you have brazed you'll have no problem and if you have ever sweat copper that's even better. As it turns out, there is a special flux for working with steel. I did't know this, wich explains why my previous attempts at soldering steel using plumbing flux failed ::) An old timer told me I had to use "acid flux" for the lead to adhear to steel properly, and he happened to have some laying around. Maybe you already know this but it was news to me and I have no idea where you can buy some. It was simple to use though, Just heat the dent, apply flux , melt lead with a propane (clean gas) torch onto the flux. As the lead starts to set up you can begin to feather it outward with a peice of wood. The trick is keeping the lead in a plastic state, using your torch, in order to smear it around. Once enough lead is applied you can file or grind off the excess, then sand smooth.
How well do your colored powders hold up to gasoline and how do you go about prepping the metal beforehand ? I used to work at an E-cote/Powdercote, but we only did black for the Big-3. Very chemical resistants and rock hard.

they hold up great man! any that are not as chemical resistant we clear so that they are...
thanks for the info... it is alot like i do now... i am going to give that a go this week... much cheaper to do it that way than to braze... and we have a tank in now that looks like he kicked it all the way to our shop

Back
Top Bottom