First Project Cm400t

Preacherman

Well this is an introduction as well as my first build. I have never owned a Bike before but I have worked on cars and old vintage 2 stroke mopeds so I have an idea what I am doing. I have been lurking on this site for a few months and spent countless hours trying to learn as much as possible.

I have been working on my build for about 2 months now I’m on a tight budget and go to school full time so it is a slow build but I live in Michigan so it isn’t like i can ride it till may anyways.
The bike I started with is a 1979 CM400t. it was a complete basket case. The PO got it from a guy who caught the whole thing on fire melted all the wiring, seat, anything that could melt was destroyed. The bike came as a frame and 3 tubs of parts everything was disassembled i didn't think it was to bad since i bought it for 150 bones. My main goal was just to get the bike running before I did much work although I did do a little. I got the bike all put together and wired up and to my surprise it started first kick.

Attachments

• posting7.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 293
sorry i wasnt really finished, like i said i am pretty new to this so any tips or advice would be great.

these pics are where i am right now

Attachments

• posting4.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 291
  • posting5.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 456
Your pics are working. Nice colour on the motor. I like the stance too. Are you hard tailing it? I have a CM now that is half cafe's but I have enough parts to almost build another bike. If I can score a frame I am going to do a bobber.

Cheers,

Maritime.

i'm not doing a true hard tail, i am just going to but struts on it. i think the cm's look great at a bobber with the struts i built it lowered it 4 1/2 inches and i really like it.

The frames do lend themselves to the bobber look much better than the Cafe. Struts should work ok on that.

Cheers

sweet I have one of these also. Really easy to work on and super agile for being a little bobber....good luck you have a good start.

yeah i works hard cleaning up that engine, this has been a fun project it gives me something to do with what little free time i have. bu ti do think the engine turned out great. it is hard to tell that it survived a fire. thanks for the encouragment

unless i'm wrong, i really like the way you recycle the stock rear fender to still be used in the build yet look way different

baconpocket said:
unless i'm wrong, i really like the way you recycle the stock rear fender to still be used in the build yet look way different

yeah i tried the front fender on the back and i just didn't really like it. so i cut part of the back fender off flattened a little of it and bolted it to the frame under the seat. it seems to work well. i am glad you said you like it cause i was thinking tonight about trying something different.

i got the frame all painted, really at this point i think i just need to start putting things back together. i have everything but all the cables so thats kinda the last thing anyway. i have small parts to paint as i go but nothing to major. i have had such a great time working on this. but i am excited about my next project i'm thinking cafe but the wife says it need to be a 2 seater for her.

Attachments

• DSC_0082-post.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 460
MarcW said:
Looks great!!

Thanks.

i have a question for all of you, i had this light laying around and i like the way it looks on the bike a lot, but it is actually an off road light. i wasn't really planning on putting a switch for hi/low anyways so do you guys think this will work? i was thinking i would just point it low so i don't piss off other drivers..

what do you think?

Preacherman said:
Thanks.

i have a question for all of you, i had this light laying around and i like the way it looks on the bike a lot, but it is actually an off road light. i wasn't really planning on putting a switch for hi/low anyways so do you guys think this will work? i was thinking i would just point it low so i don't piss off other drivers..

what do you think?

i think its worth a shot as long as you dont do too much night riding....i also think you should turn the lens so the lines are horizontal

well i feel like i got a lot done these past few days, i swear working in the garage is like therapy to me.

what do you guys think?

VonYinzer said:
Right on man! Looks killer! Good stance, nice lines... Well done so far!

thanks man this is defiantly something i am proud of, even looking at these pictures i'm thinking "did i do that?"

i feel like the seat pan is much too large.. besides that looks like some nice work.

Back
Top Bottom