CB750 bobber build... gonna need help!

triumphrider74 said:
I like the placement of the rear fender and the pipes. Very cool.

Yeah the pipes def. catch my attention on this bike.

On another note, did my first bit of sanding on the tank last night. Still got a little to do obviously but......

tank.jpg

That tank has a really nice shape. Better than the one on Bike Exif. Are you retaining the original Honda Badges or going with something else?

Yes I will retain the badges. After much debate, I will go with a shiny black tank with flat black badges.

Upon further review of Exif's bike, I noticed he has spokes on it. Also only 1 front disc as opposed to the mags and dual front disc it comes with stock. I'm curious as to what size/kind of wheel setup he has there. I was able to locate several spoke rims at the salvage yard, just wasn't sure which one's i really needed. The CB K's seem to have had smaller wheels than the Custom??? If someone could help me verify that would be really appreciated. ;D

Yeah, I think the comstars will stay for awhile. However, spokes are def. in the future. I'm just trying to get the bike as fixed up as I can with what I have for now so we can cruise this summer. Then over time, ill add things here and there until she is complete.

That thing just screams for a rigid conversion. Don't believe all the negative hype, I grew up on factory rigid Harley Big Twins and Indians. Once you learn the "wash out" angle on the rear wheel you can ride circles around a squish tail. Just takes practice, a sprung seat and a kidney belt. They also do a better job launching from stoplights.

Just for shits and giggles I swapped the shocks from my Suzuki Savage barhopper onto my wife's 800 Intruder. Dropped the back of her bike at least four inches. I sat on the pillion, at 50 mph on a washboard road and there weren't any issues. If I recall correctly, that is 10.5" eye to eye instead of 12.5 or 13" eye to eye. 2 to 3 inch shorter shocks aren't an issue, just stiffen up the setting a couple notches. I'd go measure the shocks but the Savage isn't at the house, the Intruder shocks are now on it, no more scraping my rear fender on speed bumps. Semi-floating HD FLH Shovel fenders and short shocks don't mix well.

Take your time and have fun building it.

Thanks for the advice Scruffy!

I started to get into the motor some more last night.... Looks pretty clean for sitting 18+ years
Cams.jpg

4carbs.jpg

I do. But I won't tell you, as I have a feeling you're going do something unsafe, and dangerous to shorten the shock like possibly shortening the springs. If thats what your planning to do, that shock can, and probably will come apart while you are riding the bike. I hope no one else tells you either if this is indeed your plan. Use shorter shocks please

fro_daddy121 said:
My plan is to take that gay ass cover off the top of the shock.

Yep, those are kind of dorky lookin'. I'm not sure how they come apart. You might put a question in the '1-800-cafe-help' thread?

fro_daddy121 said:
Thanks dad!

My plan is to take that gay ass cover off the top of the shock.
OK then. Didn't want to read a future thread where you were hurt, or worse that's all. Here's how I get shocks apart. 2 people is best. Take a look up inside that goofy cover, and up on top of the spring you will see the retainer. MOST of the time they are horse shoe shaped. There will probably be one on outside top of the cover just below the eye as well. This one may not reveal itself until you have compressed the spring though. To compress the spring I use a big assed set of channel locks. I clamp the throat of the handles around, and through the spring, get down on my knees, put the shock bottom eye on the ground and with one hand still squeezing the handles, put your other hand on the plier jaws, and push down to compress the spring. When you do this you will see the retaining ring which holds the cover on. When you push down, have your partner pull that retainer out. Once the cover is off, do the same thing once again to get the spring retainer out, and the spring off.

ebay search=5 seconds: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=shorty+shocks&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Just make sure the eye/clevis bushing set-up is correct-shocks are pretty universal. And leave the cover. ::)

Thanks Kev!

Antoher question, I want to purchase a new throttle assembly. Is there anything I should be aware of when looking for one? Can anyone point me in the direction of some good throttle's for a CB750?

Also, I'm trying to switch from comstars to spokes... Would an increase of size cause problems in the rear? from 16" to 17"?

Back
Top Bottom