First ever cafe build progress report

biker_reject said:
I didn't know that! Very cool that a replicant would quote a 6th century philosopher. :)

I don't think a replicant said that, I think it was Eldon Tyrell.

200 years from now, this site will be dedicated to chopping and rebuilding replicants. Basic pleasure models.

biker_reject said:
I am counting on this set up to work. The forks are shortened 2" and beefed up with Progressive springs. The bike hasn't been road tested yet, so this is how she sits with 5" of travel. I don't think I sacrificed shit. And yes, looks are a huge but not the only consideration! What's your ride look like? :-D

The issue is the fork geometry. You have altered it significantly from what it was designed for with that frame, while travel may be ok with stiffer springs, there is may be a huge issue with twitchy steering and potentially speed wobble. Be careful on testing, you may benefit from a steering dampner.

I did not know those forks had 7" of travel stock ::)? how did you shorten them ? cut the damper rod off 2" or put a 2" spacer under the damper rod top-out spring ?

Yeah fellas, I know this can be an issue (a potentially dangerous one). Road testing will be in the spring, and by then I'll know what's up. The suspension was influenced by Pistol's DOHC build. I never could get a reply from him, but I'm pretty sure our set ups are the same. His bike has been done for a while now but I sure would like to pick his brain. Anyway, the forks were shortened with 2" spacers under the dampers. And, if these forks won't work, I'll have to do a swap of some sort. I've thought about a damper as well.

Nice work on the CB so far, take it easy at first and if you have to change forks then that's what you have to do.

I wanted to ask you about your KZ400, how is it going? I have a 76 I am working on and I have a 73 Kaw S2 (350 2 stroke) that I am planning to use the front and rear wheels and suspension from an 85 GPZ550 on. So I was reading your KZ build with double interest.

The KZ is where I left off, the GpZ front end, conversion to a dual disc front wheel, powdered the rims and bought on new front tire. :-D The frame has been cleaned up of tabs, but that's about it. I look for gas tank alternatives every once in a while, but haven't found anything that strikes me. I've played around with rear set position and thought it would be a great help if builders had their own mannequins to help design better ergonomics. Wonder if you could get one cheap?

Okay, yeah sometimes you have to wait for inspiration. For rearset position what if you mockup different positions and either use the timer on your camera or have someone take pictures for reference.

But then again if you found a mannequin at a flea market or something that was close to your height it would be helpful, also you could keep him in your vehicle so you could drive in HOV lanes:)

Wasn't there an upper male torso you could prop up in the passenger's seat of a car that was marketed to women who often drive alone? Safe T man or something like that? Ha! I was thinking like a retired crash test dummy would be really handy for guys who work alone.

Tank and seat back from painter. Seat is next!

Attachments

• Tank n seat 1.jpg
    Tank n seat 1.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 1,070
  • Tank n seat 3.jpg
    Tank n seat 3.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 1,105
Final iteration of the undertail. Radienz integrated tail light, license plate bracket ($3 from a Yamaha at mc salvage yard), and license plate light on ($4.95 Pep Boys). Ready to button it up!

Attachments

• IMG_7296.JPG
    IMG_7296.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 982
  • IMG_7297.JPG
    IMG_7297.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 994
  • IMG_7298.JPG
    IMG_7298.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 992
The home stretch.

Attachments

• Home stretch 1.jpg
    Home stretch 1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,004
  • Home stretch 2.jpg
    Home stretch 2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,032
  • Home stretch 3.jpg
    Home stretch 3.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 1,024
Thanks guys. I peeled the rest of the blue tape off and cleaned up the dried on residue which was really tough on the old thumb nail. I played around with some pin stripe tape I had laying around. I think I like the border around the number plate, but the tape didn't take to the corners very well. I'm wondering if a hair dryer would make it pliable enough to not wrinkle when curved around the corners? Anyway, wiring up the tail light and idiot lights up front this week. Also, gonna pull the plug on some gum colored grips which are around $40. Kind of steep, but I think they will look right at home on this bike.

http://store.revivalcycles.com/products/posh-gt-barrel-grip-7-8-with-ring
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/c323/buy/1-quot-grips/

Say, did anyone see the DTT build that used mountain bike leather grips - leather rings butted up against each other? It was something I was thinking about last year, but didn't know how to cap them at the ends. They look awesome and absorb lots of vibration, if anyone is wondering.

Watch the license plate when hitting bumps man, unless you have some nice firm firm shocks you may be disappointed when you hear a loud bang going over a high speed bump and realize your tire ate your license plate. It happened to me and thats why I switched it up and got a much firmer shock. Fantastic build by the way!

Where did you get those lights? I have been trying to build some but I am terrible at it. I've seen the FLEDA system, but it costs $500. Where did you find yours?

Found it: http://www.chromeglow.com/catalog.asp?prodid=605465

burnicarus said:
Watch the license plate when hitting bumps man, unless you have some nice firm firm shocks you may be disappointed when you hear a loud bang going over a high speed bump and realize your tire ate your license plate. It happened to me and thats why I switched it up and got a much firmer shock. Fantastic build by the way!
lol much firmer shocks are a bone-headed way to correct a license plate mount design fail

Back
Top Bottom