DIY riding jacket-anyone try and alter a jacket with modern armor?

Kev Nemo

Honda Hacker
So I bought my current jacket on CL for $30. It's great quality leather and the arms a perfect length, but I needed it taken in at the sides and underarm. While I was at the tailor, I started thinking: How hard would it be to modify this jacket with spine/kidney/elbow/shoulder armor? My plan is to find a wasted modern jacket and using it as a donor for the armor. Anyone tried this?

Kev Nemo said:
So I bought my current jacket on CL for $30. It's great quality leather and the arms a perfect length, but I needed it taken in at the sides and underarm. While I was at the tailor, I started thinking: How hard would it be to modify this jacket with spine/kidney/elbow/shoulder armor? My plan is to find a wasted modern jacket and using it as a donor for the armor. Anyone tried this?

you can buy the body armor separate to put inside the jacket

you can also buy armor that can strap to your body, elbows, back protector and such :)

i wear a dainese back protector under my jacket and it just straps on to my torso

I found the back armor, but the only arm stuff they had was for motocross-too big to fit in the sleeve. The idea is to have it sewn in; I don't want to carry my armor around school all day ;)

here is some armor that you could probably have sewn into the jacket

http://www.newenough.com/armor/elbow_shoulder_knee_installs_in_apparel/

and some that can be worn on the body

http://www.newenough.com/armor/elbow_shoulder_knee_worn_on_the_body/

i will eventually get some of the elbow armor and either riding pants or the knee armor too :)

i have bought from new enough before and they are good people, i bought my helmet from them :)

Big ups on the links, man. I figure with the addition of about $50 worth of armor, I'll have a jacket on par or better than $350 plus units.

When I'm not wearing my riding jacket, I wear this:
sixsixone-apparels-bodyarmor-chestprotector-core-saver-suit.jpg

usually under my leather jacket, that isnt armored. fits under clothes pretty well.

I wear one of those, but only between the hours of midnight - 4AM. And of course I wear the matching gear.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

norm-479a5e5aa92d1-Batman+Begins+(2005).jpeg

hahah unfortunately I live in New England, where its notoriously known for bad drivers. it's mostly for long distance highway travel.

hmm... after my little T-bone a block from your GFs place, I might need to pick up a vest like that

You can have armor pockets put in the jacket but IMO you should bring it to a shop to have it done . It's best to already have a jacket with armor to show what you want and how the pockets should be . I had a jacket made with armor . It surely can be done .

I've thought about doing the same thing, motorcyclesuperstore.com is closing out teknic Knox armor for 99 cents right now!!! Regular 29.99!!

I bought some when it was 4.99 thinking it was a sweet deal, so check that out. Shipping to Canada is terrible, but if you're in the US it's reasonable.

Is it a true riding jacket? Or a "Fashion Leather" type?

Here's something that you may want to keep in mind, even though a jacket may be made out of leather, it may not be suitable for protection if something g0d-awful should occur. Most "fashion leather" jackets are very thin and have standard seams. When these meet the asphalt, it usually tears open just like cloth.

Adding in armor may improve your chances of walking from an accident, but I wouldn't trust the leather to save my hide.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but my wife has been talking about sewing armor into a couple of jackets so we don't look like the red and blue power rangers when we cruise around town.

So my question for people who have done this is how big a jacket are you starting with? Are you using one that already fits or a size up? Any recommendations on what the inner lining should be like to accept pads easily?

Thanks!

i was planning on sewing my jacket up to my protective gear but i was also thinking that the leather would just rip of no problem if something did happen. autoguy posted a good link to gear to wear on the body. my buddy has a spine protector that is light breathable and just slides right around his shoulders onto his back and doesn't look bulky. i think this is the best way. could just rock it under your shirt also.

Ive been thinking about doing this for a while too. I have a 'fashion' moto jacket thats really thin. never thought about the seems, very good call on that. I figured the leather was too thin and essentially useless for riding. Nothing like some of these thick leather jackets ive tried on in the past.

I have a johnny rocket jacket which is good enough, talked to a kid at the local Honda store, said he went down doin 50mph and the jacket really helped save his ass. (helmet and gloves too im sure) but those jackets are just a lot of armor set into a meshy mess.. not very cafe fashionable but effective enough.

Thick leather being a step up from that is all the better. I was thinking of just sewing my own jacket or re-enforcing a jacket i find online or elsewhere.
Has anyone ever tried on or seen in person one of these 80's Hein Gericke jackets?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hein-Gericke-Black-Leather-Denim-Motorcycle-Jacket-XL_W0QQitemZ330369463902QQcmdZViewItemQQptZApparel_Merchandise?hash=item4ceb8df65e

For $99 they are a steal, where else can you get such a fashionable mix of leather and denim? Its the post apacalyptic Mad-maxey style meets hyper futurist Star Ship Trooper type thing ive always dreamed of.. lol

Now im ganna have to fork over the dough get one like that, as well as making one of my own creations.. problem is getting a whole outfit that somewhat makes sense. Gericke + 1/2 helmet TT style may look nice. Lol I have 3 pairs of shoes fancy, casual and work, and yet im ganna be sporting 100 diff types of moto outfits, i guess you look good when you do the ton.

I don't know if you've ever heard of jackets4bikes.com but they have good jackets with armor and 360 zippers. me and the wife just got some for christmas. they were less than 200 bucks for the both of them and they seem to be real good quality. I believe some of them are Icon jackets without the icon logo on them.

I had an open road jacket I found at a thrift store for a few bucks, heavy horse hide with good seams but no armor.

as the outer shell is what protects against abrasions, and armor is only for blunt impact trama, I decided to sew some old armor into little nylon (same as the liner) pockets then sew those pockets into the jacket liner.

If you take the time to line them up correctly then sew them up properly they wont move under impact (or at least, they were fine in my ~40mph highside...) start to finish probably took me an hour.

Back
Top Bottom