Billet top interest thread - CB750 models ready, XS650 Prototypes are finished

Mr.E

Got to keep the loonies on the path...
Ok, some of you know about this, but about 98% of you don't. For the last few years, I have occasionally made top yokes for a few bikes. I am a Mold Maker by trade, therefore I machine stuff. This has always been a one off thing, but I am considering making a small production run of top yokes to sell, if the interest is there. So, what I am asking is this:

If I were to make a run, which bikes would interest you most?

Cb750
Xs650
New Bonneville
OiF Bonneville

Bear in mind, this is only to gauge interest. Are there other models you would like to see a nice billet top yoke for?

Thanks,

Mr.E

Re: this is a test... this is only a test...

Mr.E said:
Are there other models you would like to see a nice billet top yoke for?

The one in your avatar :D

Thanks for the input guys. Von, I did think about RD's, just don't have a top yoke to take dimensions from tho. Tim, I'm sure she would love to have a shiny new top yoke too. Buckeye, on pricing I am thinking they would end up in the $150 range. I'd like to try to keep it around that because Id like to market them to ppl like us.

I'm not sure if you could do the bottoms too, but a real narrow 35mm with a 7/8" steering tube would be cool! for real narrow choppers.

350s and 360s would be nice. The original cast triples are notorious for cracking and I have a buddy who actually hordes the good ones he can find.

Thanks for the input guys. I don't have a cb350/360 top to measure yet, but would be happy to look into modeling one. As for bottoms, I'm not really in a good position to machine that and stems (and keep it cost effective). Ill keep it in mind tho. I do like the idea of a matching set, but it will take a good deal more r&d, andid have to get a considerable amount of pre-orders to make it viable.

The XS650 is a sure bet. I'd be in for one by spring/summer.

I also agree with Matt on the 350/360, they are shit.

E,
I'll send you a 360 top triple If you need one.

May I suggest doing fork braces as well? Since we are always bitching about people that don't run fenders and/or braces? ;)

Id be in for a CB750 unit. Would it have provisions for guage mounting?

frogman said:
May I suggest doing fork braces as well? Since we are always bitching about people that don't run fenders and/or braces? ;)

Fucking brilliant. And simple as pie.

Good call on the fork braces! I don't have any designed yet, but it shouldn't be hard to come up with a few that use common components. Ill work on that one at some point.

Sonic, sure! I'd love to get one to draw. I'll pm you later. Chris, my current cb750 doesn't accomodate gauges on top, but the entire bottom is flat, so a custom bracket can be attached there to keep the top clean. I should mention, these would be intended for clip on use only. I am working on a traditional type soon tho.

Bla bla.bla on to the good stuff, ill text you with a idea i got

Ok, I ran a prototype today. Its still got a few operations to be run yet, but this is the basic design. This one fits a SOHC CB750.

Next ill be working on the XS650 model.

E, I'll send out the 360 top on monday

Back
Top Bottom