Name that tool (please)

mysta2

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Seriously. I don't know what this is. I own it, at one point I felt the need to buy it, probably even special ordered it, maybe even used it.

919dda2719e2dcadbf3f82389d7b5db0.jpg

I thought it was a special service tool for either my CL360 or CB750. But I'm becoming less sure of that as time goes on without an answer.

Could be a bicycle tool.

Strip some bikes down until you find a recess with two indents for the tabs on the tool down in a hole about and inch deep.

No matter where you go, there you are.

I put my money on an oil pump removal tool, only thing i know that is not screwed in tight enough to be able to use your hand.

it's 4 inches long. The diameter of the working end is .31.

I'm fairly convinced that its a schrader valve tool. Which mean's its in the wrong section of my toolbox

Thanks!

I have several tools with the same function but are larger - you use them to remove bezels from gauges and such. There's probably a version of this for the bezel that goes around my CB350 ignition switch, although I just use some needle-nose pliers.

It's not a Schrader valve.

Oh, and the obligatory "Dyslexics of the World - Untie!"

mysta2 said:

I'm fairly convinced that its a schrader valve tool. Which mean's its in the wrong section of my toolbox

Thanks!
not a shrader valve tool ::) it is a spoke wrench for when the spokes start protuding the nipples

mysta2 said:

Thanks!

The working end of that tool is the opposite of what a Shrader valve needs and at .31" diameter it'd never fit into the valve stem anyway.

The only spoke wrenches I've seen that work from that end of the nipple have a protrusion to center the end on the spoke, not a hollow to allow the spoke to protrude into the tool, and if you're spokes are so long they're poking through when they're still so loose you're using a tool on that end, you have the wrong size spokes.

My first thought was it looked like part of a set up to hold a degree wheel onto a crankshaft, but there's no need for it to be knurled and knowing the size now, it's too small for that.

Yup - my thoughts are that it's a tool to use on the butt end of the spoke nipple. Better than mucking up your nice fancy anodized or painted nipples with a traditional wrench, if your tire isn't on.

Spokes are sometimes too long - I've had to grind a number of Buchanan spokes down a bit to ensure no potential damage to the rim strip / tube.

Can't agree on the spoke nipple screw driver, as proper spoke selection would prevent the spoke from existing the nipple into the tube zone. My guess is a Shrader Valve ring spanner to tighten the holding ring against the rim. The outer diameter of a Shrader valve is 8 mm or 0.31". ;)

I have used something similar for holding counterbore internal thread flanged nuts like this. but with a flat surface on the flanged end.
th

Back
Top Bottom