SR250 Cafe build

Most of the 'roller/needle/ball bearing Yamaha's run around 15psi max pressure but flow is way up there
Friend saw 20psi on XS650 at max rpm but normal running was 7~10psi.
XS 650 has various oil squirters in crankcase (they are just holes drilled to spray oil in general direction of big ends ;D )
I wouldn't worry about increasing flow to top end of engine, it will always come back down to the bottom plus the flow to big end happens before top end gets oiled

Mate this thing looks awesome! It makes me want to pull the head of mind and change the piston and drill the oil feed. It would compliment my tm33 perfectly!

Very inspiring for my winter project. Thanks for documenting everything Cos.

I see you installed a kickstart. That's one goal I have for my SR250. Were you able to find a kit with all the parts, or did you just piece everything together from something like this? http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1980/SR250G/KICK+STARTER/parts.html

The parts list helped. I had a local guy with a few xt250 motors laying about. All the bits are there in the donor motor save for two critical things; the seal for the crankcase and the pressed in pin for holding the spring. I made a quick pin on the lathe instead of waiting for a $2 part and the seal was easily found since it's quite universal.

So yeah, it's not hard to do. And it has saved my bacon a few times in the cold weather with a trumpet carb and no airbox. She is a bit fussy to start.

Cosworth,
How do the RFY rear shocks feel to you? any miles on them yet? I was asking an ebay seller if he could get me a pr. w/ the spring rate light enough for my little CB125S but never heard back from him yet w/ confirmation..

cosworth said:
it has saved my bacon a few times

This is exactly why I want to install one. Seems like a bit of overmarketing for Yamaha to leave off the kicker. I think I read in an article that Jadus posted that they wanted the bike to be less intimidating to new riders or something like that. Kinda dumb if you ask me.

I wish I had a guy with some XT donor motors. I'll probably just piece it all together. Thanks for the info!!

grcamna5 said:
Cosworth,
How do the RFY rear shocks feel to you? any miles on them yet? I was asking an ebay seller if he could get me a pr. w/ the spring rate light enough for my little CB125S but never heard back from him yet w/ confirmation..

Love 'em. I have 10mm preload on them, I weigh 230 pounds with no gear, and they have 10,000kms on them now. They have performed flawlessly. I highly recommend them. The anodising is getting a bit faded on the right side due to the sun and kickstand angle but that's it.

With zero preload you should be fine with the stock spring rate.

cosworth said:
Love 'em. I have 10mm preload on them, I weigh 230 pounds with no gear, and they have 10,000kms on them now. They have performed flawlessly. I highly recommend them. The anodising is getting a bit faded on the right side due to the sun and kickstand angle but that's it.

With zero preload you should be fine with the stock spring rate.

I know the price on ebay is good on those RFY's :) and I weigh 180lbs;I like a spring to be light enough for the shock to use most of it's travel while on the road,they seem to work better for me that way.

Hey cosworth, what Jets did you end up running with the velocity stack? You go up on mains and pilot? And needle clip position?

Cheers

Stock needle clip, stock pilot jet. 3 1/2 turns out and a 135 jet.

And this bike has been sold! My next two builds are an XS360 restoration for collector plates and a cafe build for one of my XS400 bikes.

Still debating on colour schemes for the 400 cafe...

Thought I'd send an update on this SR250. I am the new owner! Just bought it as a not running machine that's been sitting for a number of years. The rear sets have been replaced (old ones are broken and came in a box), pipe is scratched so it may have gone down. The tank badly needs to be relined as the previous owner botched it pretty bad. Needs new rubber as well as carb work. Looks like the pilot jet port is cracked so a new carb body could work but will try to repair first. Grips have been changed out and it looks like the wiring has been re done which is nice, it's pretty simple either way. There is a new ignition in a box but I want to wire up a push button where the previous key was. The odometer reads 10732 kms. Seeing this thread was definitely what pushed me to get it! Excited to get her going! Cheers

Welcome mate. Good to see the project is still going.

Check out Jadus if you haven't already. The guy is making some fantastic stuff for the smaller SR and is still chipping away at his own lightweight beast.

Welcome, and I'm guessing there was another owner between Cosworth selling and you buying. Post up some pics to keep the thread alive.

Yeah, from what I gather there have been a few owners since Cos. Got it on the bench at my work the other day (I manage a motorcycle shop). Bought a 5$ 16mm push button switch from a local shop which fit perfectly into the previous gap and with the wiring already done it was only a few minutes to complete. I ordered in some new rubber which arrived quickly, unfortunately had to go down to a slimmer tire on the rear as my guy couldn't locate something as wide as before. One of my techs managed to fix the rear brake by adding a piece of metal as a stop when it's at the top of its motion. Also ordered some new Yamaha gold stickers to replace part of one thats been damaged. Coming together nice and quick. It's turned over but idle is rough, will be working on that today. Rock and roll, here are some pics!

Attachments

• IMG_5218.jpg
    IMG_5218.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_5219.jpg
    IMG_5219.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_5220.jpg
    IMG_5220.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_5221.jpg
    IMG_5221.jpg