Trash to Tracker, Xl350 UPDATED!

Re: Trash to Tracker, Xl350

Lots of cleaning going on. Started with the wheels, was using scotch bright pads with some Barkeepers Friend and water. They cleaned up pretty nice, shame lots of the spokes are rusty. I have kits for both front and rear wheel bearings, but have never done them before. Anyone have any tips?

vjruR19.jpg

iIflC97.jpg

b3erR9p.jpg

Onto the centrifugal oil pump, still have a ways to go.

wn1Pm6O.jpg

2IsEY5o.jpg

And then the front and rear fenders, A buddy of mine is going to spray them for me. Anyone know the color code or exact color name? If not I will probably get a generic gray.

kUHOHGc.jpg

For the spokes, TAKE YOUR TIME.
It will seem daunting but it will be worth it to be able to say you laced and trued your wheels yourself.

Freeze your bearings, get some correct size PVC for each bearing. Clean the seat, drop them in and usually one or two good taps with a mallet on the PVC should seat them good. Be very careful not to overdo it, as they CAN be seated too far and bind on the inner axle spacer.

If you go with the eBay spokes, they work ok but the fitment sucks, all the angles are a little off and I had to seat them with a rubber mallet to get them trued.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

advCo said:
Freeze your bearings, get some correct size PVC for each bearing. Clean the seat, drop them in and usually one or two good taps with a mallet on the PVC should seat them good. Be very careful not to overdo it, as they CAN be seated too far and bind on the inner axle spacer.

If you go with the eBay spokes, they work ok but the fitment sucks, all the angles are a little off and I had to seat them with a rubber mallet to get them trued.

I’m good with the i stall Of the bearings, more of the removal I’m not familiar with

2strokeTRush said:
I’m good with the i stall Of the bearings, more of the removal I’m not familiar with

It's the opposite. Heat the hub outside of the bearing and they will pop out easy.

Sorry I haven't been updating recently guys, had a family emergency that took me out for a few weeks.

I painted the engine covers and started reassembly. Did the left side cover and valve cover. New gear shift sea and clutch adjuster plug. I painted some bits black to set off the gray a little bit. Assembled with allen set bolts to make things look nice, to bad the kit didn't come with bolts for the valve cover or tappet covers. Anyone know what size the tappet covers are?

fN4HJts.jpg

qq1MhCi.jpg

i5Xz3Fr.jpg

KIQa3zY.jpg

VANxHje.jpg

Looking good,

I'm on the same "level" that you are, cleaning / painting rims, and painting the motor.

It would be great if you painted white the "outline" of the Honda logo on the left side cover.

Please continue to show the evolution of you project!

Cleaned and re-wrapped the harness, attempted to clean the connections as well.

zFBuozm.jpg

Motor back in, as well as air box, battery box, new coil/capacitor, flasher relay, foot pegs.

8voup69.jpg

Scratched the points cover so ill have to repaint that which sucks and Unfortunately I must have forgotten to take pictures of the way the harness was routed and where everything was placed, so I took a shot at where everything was. if something doesn't look right, let me know. The manual is very vague when it comes to this.

lVXwZLR.jpg

Installed the UNI air filter and everything things to work, anyone think I will have issues with tuning using that filter? Not to many options if I wanna keep the stock housing. Still need to find tappet cover bolts.

SIrTOK4.jpg

One day, you're going to regret wrapping that harness in electrical tape. It turns into a gooey mess.

irk miller said:
One day, you're going to regret wrapping that harness in electrical tape. It turns into a gooey mess.

I used a Higher then normal quality tape from my work. I have used this on other bikes without issue. So I hope it lasts!

Small update: Got the Triple Tree installed with the All Balls bearings greased and preloaded, super smooth now! New headlight brackets installed and bucket loosely installed for now, I like how the headlight will be slightly lower then stock.

atLCgEU.jpg

Front forks were rebuilt/cleaned, installed new seals since both sides were leaking as well as new dust caps from All Balls. I'm a big guy and prefer stiffer forks so I went with Lucas 15W fork oil. Measured out and topped off. Media blasted and Painted the legs satin, as well as satin clear coats. Time will tell how long they hold up.

Ih2DzC9.jpg

Bolted up the new rental handle bars, I think I will really like this stance. The cross bar is removable, but I don't mind it.

qln5aMw.jpg

Found this trailer frame for free on Craigslist and decided to make a little utility/motorcycle hauler out of it. Its kind of a pain to take the cap off my truck every time I want to transport a bike. Trailer has D Rings bolted through the plywood through the frame to secure the bike or cargo.

TZlrHGP.jpg

IYDlGcm.jpg

Nice little trailer. Bike is looking good.

I have had issues in the past with those style headlight ears where the light tends to sag downward. I added an aluminum support to one of the screws that fasten the headlight ring which helped get the light back on the road and off the front fender

Continuing on. Cleaned up the gauges best I could and applied some "Mothers Back to black" to give them a little color again. The black was very faded, almost dull grey. I Fitted in new 6V LEds for the gauge lights to.

vQ4ZEib.jpg

uw3zpyR.jpg

JaNEIHB.jpg

For the turn signals I couldn't find a set of 6V ones that I liked so I took a set of basic 12V signal lights and swapped in a huge 6V led bulb. Had to disassemble the light base to get the bulb in and then reinstall all as one piece. Only issue was the satin black signal housing did not reflect the light to great so I cut up some reflective tape and placed it inside.

kC9veRn.jpg

l6TIaw0.jpg

Also got around to installing the Rental full waffle grips, new black levers, and a all in one handlebar control switch. Its just a basic bar switch and doesn't appear to be super great quality, but its tidy which is what I wanted the most and the harness it came with is actually decently assembled and labeled.

u4Od2Sf.jpg

hftGG9g.jpg

YNKKMiL.jpg

Middle of this week we has some unusually high temps in Baltimore which allowed me to throw some paint outside on the new pipe from XLintPerformance! Used High temp engine primer, flowed by ceramic header paint, finished up with satin high temp engine paint.

duPZ08p.jpg

Waiting on a few parts to arrive this week like a new set of shocks, different tail light then originally planned, stainless cone muffler and some misc hardware.

Well Im Back to work now, so I havent had lots of time to devote to the bike. But I am happy to say she is back on he own two feet! Mounted a set of Kenda 270 tires and new rim strips and tubes. Carb is back on, throttle, choke, and clutch cables installed and adjusted. Installed a cheap set of shocks from DCC because the others were shot. Tig welded the cone engineering muffler to the header pipe from Xlint performance and test fitted it. Going to have to Fab some sort of support bracket for the upsweep though. Started working on the fenders yesterday while the weather was nice, sand sand sand, followed by some filler primer. More sanding and then laid some silver down. Im no body man so I hope they turn out ok, Still curing now.

IyCY5le.jpg

n542Nu7.jpg

F0iaizI.jpg

fenders are done with paint. Im no painter, so take it easy on me but I think they look pretty good! I taped off the original blue stripes.

QyMP3Z5.jpg

Z8pshIh.jpg

x4vPQmH.jpg

I8NBobg.jpg

ehdoNdT.jpg

Looking good. I like the look of the fresh paint on the fenders with the patina'd decals.

Bike looks really good but, and please forgive me of I'm wrong, the headlight brackets look like they are on upside down, or is that what you intended?

Back
Top Bottom