CB360's-from build to blog - 2013, MDS (Mo Dumb Shit)

Re: CB360's - Speak No Evil, See No Evil, Hear No Evil-from build to blog

Works great, I've done a few of them. Sometimes there's need to shim the depth of the bulb to get a nice pattern but I only had to do it once. I did all of mine in glass lights, it should be pretty similar in that metal can.

Hi Folks,
I posted this in CB360 carb mods but I'm putting it here for people I've modified carbs for
Took my 360 out a couple of weeks ago and had a slight issue with lean running top end.
Didn't give it a lot of thought (although it was probably simmering somewhere in subconcious? ;) )
Came up with a theory this morning - E10 fuel
I set bike up a few years ago when E10 wasn't as common.
I had a modified set of carbs on it during week and it was a dramatic improvement.
I thought it may be just the carbs were cleaner than my own carbs, but, when I checked jets, either someone had drilled them out slightly or they had been cleaned with jet reamers and were oversize?
Anyway, pilot was about 40 instead of 35, primary main 70 instead of 68, secondary was 115 instead of 110.
Jetting is slightly rich but if you have E-15 it should be real close to right
I wouldn't recommend E-85, it was really designed for fuel injected motors with a bunch of electronic sensors

Cleaned and modified another caliper mount, going to swap out some cleaner forks tomorrow
I fitted new fork seals and oil a while ago, wasn't fitting them until I go some gaitors though
cleanedforks_zpsd3029ffb.jpg

Forks are swapped, brake arm with grease nipple fitted, headlight on, working good so far.
Still need to fit heavy duty clutch springs

crazypj said:
Cleaned and modified another caliper mount, going to swap out some cleaner forks tomorrow
I fitted new fork seals and oil a while ago, wasn't fitting them until I go some gaitors though
cleanedforks_zpsd3029ffb.jpg

I used a pair of Truck Shocks Gaitors...on my Nighthawk 750...Great minds think alike?

gaitorsandlights.jpg

Yep, got them from Summit ;)

Yesterday we pulled starter motor, starter clutch and chain off Brendon's 360 so decided to weigh the bits today (while wife is working ;) )
Fitting a 9A/hr sealed battery means a total weight saving of approx 12lbs, (over 5lbs on battery swap)
Starter solenoid is 0.528lbs, stock battery box, 2.172lbs (including regulator/rectifier so actual weight reduction will be less)
That's about 15lbs on electrical system alone, removing starter cable and a few odds and ends is another ~1/2lb?
Stock air box with filter, 2.5lbs, that's another 5lbs dropped (haven't weighed K&N filter, I know stater block off is about 1.5 oz or less)
I'll be weighing other parts as they get taken off bike

Did I tell you that the 360 wanted me to tell you it's New Years reaolution was to go on a diet! Haha! ;D

Resolution

I did better than that...I've lost 85 pounds in the last 2 years. Losing another 50 in all. So to do this on a motorcycle, you pretty much need to remove the engine...LOL

My 750 is already much quicker....

crazypj said:
Yesterday we pulled starter motor, starter clutch and chain off Brendon's 360 so decided to weigh the bits today (while wife is working ;) )
Fitting a 9A/hr sealed battery means a total weight saving of approx 12lbs, (over 5lbs on battery swap)
Starter solenoid is 0.528lbs, stock battery box, 2.172lbs (including regulator/rectifier so actual weight reduction will be less)
That's about 15lbs on electrical system alone, removing starter cable and a few odds and ends is another ~1/2lb?
Stock air box with filter, 2.5lbs, that's another 5lbs dropped (haven't weighed K&N filter, I know stater block off is about 1.5 oz or less)
I'll be weighing other parts as they get taken off bike

My own 360 ended up pretty light after taking bits off. I started with the CJ so it was lighter already, but I'm down to a dry weight of 284 lbs.

^ That's impressive. I've been hoping for a running 360 at 305lbs, with gas and oil. Seems you are right on the mark, or below.

Forgot to mention, I also turned the starter clutch mountings off rotor, same as I did mine on page 1
Found couple of people are having 'problems' with tach plugs, not all motors have a chamfer where cable fits into head (or speedo drive)
I test each one on spare 360 rocker cover, it has chamfer, check you motor (or speedo drive) has it.
If not, it doesn't take much to de-burr enough with a scraper, chisel, small knife for 'O' ring to compress into housing (although you may have to tap it in with a dowel)
CB360tachdrive_zps0a12bf72.jpg

Forgot to mention, saw thread where a EX500 rotor was fitted to 360 carrier (thanks ;) )
I removed stock rotor from carrier as the 'blue bike' will be using GSXR forks so I'll have to make caliper mounts and may as well use a larger disc ;D
CB360brake1_zpse68a5976.jpg

Going to fit an 11" rotor, I think it's off a Yamaha?
CB360brake3_zpsd95b9afb.jpg

stock is 10-3/16"
CB360brake2_zpsf9390abb.jpg

Definitely a Yamaha disc - I thought it was an RZ, but it looks like an FJ600.

attachment.php

It sure does, thanks ;D
Brendon's bike finally died :'(
Had a couple of issues, only found one this afternoon when I decided to skim head
right lower screw on intake boot wasn't fully tight (it's on top left in pic as head is upside down)
BTW, that ISN'T gasket, its 'unknown black stuff' ???
Brendon4.jpg

Piston got a bit hot and 'stuck' slightly
Brendon1.jpg

extra heat from slightly advanced ignition timing caused this
Brendon2.jpg

Inside piston
Brendon3.jpg

Skimmed head, then did one of mine for the 'blue bike' ;D
DSCN5482.jpg

also machined rotor holder, turned outside to fit inside diameter of Yamaha rotor then tapped the rivet holes to fit shouldered rotor bolts.
I still need to get some half nuts to fit on back (lock nuts)
CB360Yamaharotor.jpg

Ignorant question - Are you using the factory front hub on the GSX front suspension? I'm wondering why all the work to the brake rotor.

Yep, I already did one for Neevo, GSXR forks, CBR600 rotors with 400f front hub ;D
I had rotor laying around, going to have to make caliper mount so though 'what the heck', lets go bigger diameter ;)
I may never use it though, I may make an adapter to use a Yamaha floating rotor I picked up for XS650? ? ?

The "crazy" portion of your screen name is sinking in now. Is there machining needed to the GSX bottom tree to get it on the 360 frame?

Back
Top Bottom