Cb350 Tracker / Scrambler - The UpstateScrambler

NoRiders said:
Really liking both headlight and guard brackets.....I'll be using the same guard mount but will use tube if I can find some the correct size as it might be easier to bend into shape but still be strong enough.

Thanks. Tube might bend easier, but it will want to collapse during bending so it may be tricky...

Bootsey said:
Thoroughly enjoying following your build, thats some stellar fabrication.
Any thoughts/plans for the finished colour scheme, would almost be a shame to hide all that metalwork?

Thanks a lot man.

I have some plans for the paint scheme, it's a little difficult to describe. Maybe I'll get around to posing a concept sketch.

It always bums me out when I think about having to paint over all my work. Sometimes I just want to spray clear over the raw metal. But, in the end I think the paint ends up enhancing my work instead of hiding it.

Sometimes in the morning, with a clear mind, I look at my work from the day before and it's just not up to par. So today I'm starting over. At least I can cut it up and salvage some bends.

ncologerojr said:
Sometimes in the morning, with a clear mind, I look at my work from the day before and it's just not up to par.
I've been teaching sculpture for 12 years now. This is the artistic process. It's hard to teach students to sit with their work a little while before making final decisions- in your case, tacking over complete welds. Inevitably, you will always find faults, even 6 months from now.

deviant said:
I've been teaching sculpture for 12 years now. This is the artistic process. It's hard to teach students to sit with their work a little while before making final decisions- in your case, tacking over complete welds. Inevitably, you will always find faults, even 6 months from now.

I couldn't agree more. I'm not a stranger to this process.

Ultimately it came down to form vs function. Aesthetically the high pipes would have turned out beautiful. But, it just didn't work for me function wise.

First off the exhaust would have been too short, and the left side pipe would have been way longer than the right side. Also when standing at a stop light or really leaning into a left hand turn the exhaust would be right into the riders leg. A heat shield would have worked, but it still would have been uncomfortable and annoying.

I think a 2-1 system taking the traditional low route will work much better. I guess all the old flat trackers had it right all along

Also, if I tried to tuck the high pipes in further and out of the way I'd be throwing a lot of heat at the right carburetor bowel....

Typical application for a high pipe with that head style is to run the pipe around the frame and along the opposite side.
XL250 has the carb in the exact location...

1972-Honda-XL250K0-Silver-9938-0.jpg

deviant said:
Typical application for a high pipe with that head style is to run the pipe around the frame and along the opposite side.
XL250 has the carb in the exact location...

1972-Honda-XL250K0-Silver-9938-0.jpg

Yep, I've owned a cl350 with high scrambler pipes.

ncologerojr said:
I guess you like them. If you're serious I'll figure out a price

I've just realised they won't work with clipons. If I decide to go back to drag bars I will on you for a quote.

Progress to the build

Dave

VonYinzer said:
Have you ever seen CL pipes?

Yep. Like I said above, I owned a cl350.

Stock cl pipes run along the left side and have huge heat shields. I didn't want to have to cover up all of my stainless work with heat shields. I always felt like my leg was resting against the high-pipes when stopped or making hard right hand turns. I wanted to try and tuck the exhaust in tighter than stock with the space from removing the air boxes. The problem is that the exhaust would be very close to the carburetor bowels, and could cause problems on hot days.

Gotcha. Sorry I missed the earlier CL talk... Little out of it today. Lol...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

VonYinzer said:
Gotcha. Sorry I missed the earlier CL talk... Little out of it today. Lol...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

No problem man. You're probably not the only one who missed it, and I also wasn't very clear earlier about my heat/heat shield issues.

The new exhaust design. I don't know yet if the muffler will stay there or come back further with an up kick.

Back
Top Bottom