880 Norton Sprint Special - "real - time" build, lots of photos

Attachments

• old bikes 002.jpg
    old bikes 002.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 253
AgentX said:
Book? What book...? And Paul, do you happen to know if the green on the 880 is akin at all to the "chromatic green" that some Matchless/Norton hybrids were painted in...? I've been trying to find an example of it...have a G15CS in non-original red paint and may, just may, someday try to get it painted back to one of the factory colors. All I can find info on is the red, however.

The book is mentioned in my avatar. A collection of tech advice over 15 years, rounded up, cut & pasted, and some filler here and there to generally cover everything on old bikes.

The Green was a special formulation Kenny Dreer did in Oregon, but you are right, it looks like the old hybrid green, only brighter. Don Hutchinson can match the original green, for sure. (and the metalflake required for the hybrids)

[quote author=DohcBikes]Any updates?[/quote]

On my second book: Maybe 2016. It will be about my entire motorcycling experience over 40+ years "Bikes I've owned & Ridden"

On the 880 project: I got a look at the painter's test spray to authorize progress and it looks fantastic. Maybe not a perfect match, but it shouldn't be noticeable at all since the tank and tail are nearly 2' apart.

411734235.jpg

I also got in a new set of matched carb needles and the Norton & Commando decals for the painter.

All I can say is WOW! I love these old builds. Maybe one day. Until then, I live vicariously through builders such as yourself!

As they say, I'm in!

Got a call from the painter, they've shot the silver sheen base coat and laid out the pinstriping and needed approval to proceed.

411736559.jpg

411736561.jpg

Approval given!

On the sidecovers, they laid them out wrong; the pointed ends go to the rear (although they couldn't tell from the example photos)

I decided to round them off completely (all 4 corners of each). They'll re-tape and start shooting later today.

411736563.jpg

411736565.jpg

Okay, it's not done, but it's close. I'm going to skip posting the tank & sidecover decal placement photos, they're interesting only in that you can easily spot the owners/builders/painters that DIDN'T do it right.

I installed the sidecovers, gas tank, tank cover and seat, then yanked the mufflers off my Triton and installed them on this bike because it NEEDS them.

Still a lot of detailing to do, but I couldn't resist wheeling it out front and snapping off some pix...

Primary (left) side
411775359.jpg

411775360.jpg

Timing (right) side
411775361.jpg

411775362.jpg

Quarter/front (low) shot
411775363.jpg

Quarter/front (high) shot
411775374.jpg

Quarter rear shot
411775364.jpg

Top shot
411775379.jpg

Rear end shot
411775378.jpg

Head-on shot
411775376.jpg

Cockpit photo
411775357.jpg

Veypor VR2 (discontinued, sadly)
411775358.jpg

I have detail shots of the front and rear ends from both sides, as well as tank & seat from both sides, but I've got better things to do at the moment, so I'll add more content later.

that is beautiful you got my vote ! i do see something that could be less crooked, shirly you will address it ?

xb33bsa said:
I do see something that could be less crooked, shirly you will address it ?

It's not detailed or finished yet.

...and don't EVER call me Shirly!

I've been needing to tend to my wyfe post-surgery, which also means 100% parent duty with the 2 kids; so, not much shop time.

I did squeeze in a quick chore yesterday, fabricated a bracket and installed the Veypor digital meter. First try with a piece of steel ended up unstatisfactory. I dug around and found a nice strip of aluminum that worked great.

411792772.jpg

411792773.jpg

Now, just need to connect the wires and install a magnet that I hope will work for the speedometer pickup.

No rest for the weary. I'm getting up at 4AM to take my 5-year-old in for adenoid surgery at 5.

Meanwhile, I've gotten side-tracked with this ORIGINAL '74 John Player Norton Commando 850 MkIIA.

411843855.jpg

No, the bodywork is not original, (mufflers aren't either) it SHOULD look like this-

411845230.jpg

I do have the tank cover, and I'm working several different angles on correct fairings and mounts, may have to improvise a bit...

Still not satisfied with the cold-bloodedness (is that a word?) of this beast, so I sprung for a set of brand new Amal Premier carbs. That, and a proper set of cables to actuate the choke slides, should make starting much easier.

Also decided to swap out a few more used bits for new ones, just to spiff it up a bit more.

I know I'll be kicking myself for selling this bike a few years from now, but I can't keep getting so attached to them or I'll go bankrupt!

I always say if I hadn't sold some of them, the rest would never have found their way to me! On to the next.

Don't suppose it hurts anyone HERE too bad to reveal who I voted for this month ;)

Back
Top Bottom