What does everyone do for their "real" job?

Re: What does everyone do for their "real" job?

quadracer351 said:
Hopefully with today's climate this is okay....NYPD come from a family of police officers and teachers, currently in the lower east side (east village, alphabet city)of Manhattan. Love the job but currently open to a few options, one of them is finally finishing up my helicopter pilots licence and move into the aviation division of the police department, I'm also on the list for the FDNY and will probably be called for their December academy, or finally move down to Austin Texas and get a job with their department. Lots to think about!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
My cousin is a cop in Arizona, he's quite enjoying it, before that he was a Marine.

quadracer351 said:
Hopefully with today's climate this is okay....NYPD come from a family of police officers and teachers, currently in the lower east side (east village, alphabet city)of Manhattan. Love the job but currently open to a few options, one of them is finally finishing up my helicopter pilots licence and move into the aviation division of the police department, I'm also on the list for the FDNY and will probably be called for their December academy, or finally move down to Austin Texas and get a job with their department. Lots to think about!

As a "millennial" (fucking hate that term, excuse my French) the hate for cops isn't a general consensus. It's just that the loudest mouths are the ones that are heard. Thank you for protecting our streets.

J-Rod10 said:
Thankless job, isn't it? Everybody wants to complain about the police, yet they are the first phone call when something is wrong. Takes a hell of a person to put up with all that nonsense.

BazookaFiero said:
It's a shame, too. I for one give any cop who still goes to work everyday a lot of praise. I couldn't do it, there's so much hate for the police and they are under the microscope for every move they make. They deserve better for the job they do, keeping the peace and cleaning up

As for me, I drive truck.

snmavridis said:
As a "millennial" (fucking hate that term, excuse my French) the hate for cops isn't a general consensus. It's just that the loudest mouths are the ones that are heard. Thank you for protecting our streets.
Thank you guys, I firmly believe it's the quiet majority that supports what me and my co workers do, however it's the louder few that get people to tune into the news. With that being said everyone is of course entitled to there own opinions and all have different interactions with law enforcement. I for one am never out to get the everyday working man. Most of the people I deal with have had many prior incidents involving law enforcement. If I pull someone over who's never had a ticket and is respectful very strong possibility that person is going to drive away without a ticket. As for the people upset with politics today, I've worked many trump protests, Bernie rally, Hillary rally, I know how people are upset with certain things about the govt and were the only people there with connections to the govt that they can take there frustrations out on. Periods like what were going through now are a pattern, every ten years or so you can look back and see situations like what is going on now.

Thanks again guys! Sorry if that wasn't the most coherent post, currently working!

quadracer351 said:

You guys definitely don't get enough thanks for what you do. It takes a special person to be able to do that so thank you.

I just finished my undergrad in accounting. I've been doing staff level audit work, which is not fun, but I plan to go into tax planning and estate planning at my own firm (after a couple of years at a firm). Eventually want to get the Series 66 and 7 licenses to offer financial planning as well. It seems like the entire career of accounting is modeled around getting to a level where you don't really deal with accounting anymore.. That should've been a sign.

My dream job is to race motorcycles, but realistically the club level is where I'll probably stay.

David_W said:
I just finished my undergrad in accounting. I've been doing staff level audit work, which is not fun, but I plan to go into tax planning and estate planning at my own firm (after a couple of years at a firm). Eventually want to get the Series 66 and 7 licenses to offer financial planning as well. It seems like the entire career of accounting is modeled around getting to a level where you don't really deal with accounting anymore.. That should've been a sign.

My dream job is to race motorcycles, but realistically the club level is where I'll probably stay.
My little bro is in his final summer of his Masters in Accounting. He's in the middle of those dreaded three tests. About to take the third one and and retake the second. My best friend since high school is a financial planner and he sells life insurance. They kind of go hand in hand. The irony there, he got his degree in English. Go figure.

Computer geek... aka systems administrator

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

deviant said:
My little bro is in his final summer of his Masters in Accounting. He's in the middle of those dreaded three tests. About to take the third one and and retake the second. My best friend since high school is a financial planner and he sells life insurance. They kind of go hand in hand. The irony there, he got his degree in English. Go figure.
To both of you, I hate accounting I'm sorry. I work in purchasing and I can't wait until I get my engineering degree. I want to build things. I want send something into space. MATH IS AWESOME!!!

snmavridis said:
To both of you, I hate accounting I'm sorry. I work in purchasing and I can't wait until I get my engineering degree. I want to build things. I want send something into space. MATH IS AWESOME!!!
HAHAHA. I used to be an engineer. I hated it. To each his own. Now I make and teach Art. Go figure.

deviant said:

Yeah those dreaded tests. I'm pretty worried about them and I haven't even started the masters yet. All I know is that if I have to do audit I'll find something else.

snmavridis said:

I was dead set on engineering I loved the idea of building things too. I was always great at math and loved it, but then day one of calculus I knew it wasn't going to happen. I ended up going through AP Calc in highschool just to see if it would ever click, but it didn't. I understood what was going on, but I couldn't get my head around how to do it. One of my buddies is in engineering now. He'll tell me about some of his class work and it convinces me more and more every time that I made the right choice.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

David_W said:
I was dead set on engineering I loved the idea of building things too. I was always great at math and loved it, but then day one of calculus I knew it wasn't going to happen. I ended up going through AP Calc in highschool just to see if it would ever click, but it didn't. I understood what was going on, but I couldn't get my head around how to do it. One of my buddies is in engineering now. He'll tell me about some of his class work and it convinces me more and more every time that I made the right choice.

I went to school for architecture, and my business does a bit of residential and commercial architecture. I absolutely HATED calculus, but I didn't so much mind the engineering we did. Applied engineering. Regardless I never use 90% of the math that I've learned over the years, just geometry.

adventurco said:
I went to school for architecture, and my business does a bit of residential and commercial architecture. I absolutely HATED calculus, but I didn't so much mind the engineering we did. Applied engineering. Regardless I never use 90% of the math that I've learned over the years, just geometry.
At Temple University, where I got my Master's, Architecture is part of Tyler School of Art. Seems like more often than not, it aligns with Art and Design before Engineering. I taught the technical courses at Tyler in the Ceramics Department for years after graduation. Those classes use as much math and chemistry as any Engineering course, but most have no idea.

deviant said:
At Temple University, where I got my Master's, Architecture is part of Tyler School of Art. Seems like more often than not, it aligns with Art and Design before Engineering. I taught the technical courses at Tyler in the Ceramics Department for years after graduation. Those classes use as much math and chemistry as any Engineering course, but most have no idea.

Yep. We focused just about solely on spatial design. I had maybe 2-3 classes on architectural detailing and materials. But I was in a more design oriented program, as opposed to more technical schools up here like Wentworth, that are the opposite.

I learned more about how to actually design a structure from 3 years framing houses and working construction than I did in school. But I did learn how to design cool ass spaces and architectural elements ;D

Well I started my new job last week. I went from a Blowmould operator to a Filler operator.

Now I run one of these bad boys.

1h4g188b92a.jpg

Get to have a lot of time to myself. Gives me plenty of time to think about motorcycles.
The best bit is I no longer have to work weekends or 12hr shifts. That means more tinker time and more family time.

adventurco said:
Guffaw! Calculus is the beautiful observation of math in motion. you bite your tongue! Calculus was developed to predict the orbits of celestial bodies! It was from the silly shape of Mercury's orbit that Einstein was able to confirm general relativity because the calculus wasn't refined enough to account for the massive gravity of the sun! Calculus is beautiful!

Brodie said:
Well I started my new job last week. I went from a Blowmould operator to a Filler operator.

Now I run one of these bad boys.

1h4g188b92a.jpg

Get to have a lot of time to myself. Gives me plenty of time to think about motorcycles.
The best bit is I no longer have to work weekends or 12hr shifts. That means more tinker time and more family time.

you lie, you can't work in manufacturing AND live in australia

Haha believe it or not... in the tourism capital of QLD no less.

I work for a Dairy Co-Op based on the north east coast of NSW. I am at the most northern of the 3 factories, the only one in QLD.

I'm a Librarian. Specifically, I'm a Systems Librarian which means I get to deal with computers, computer and tech vendors, and the public (sometimes). I find most of my days are taken up reading tech articles and keeping track of toner and spare peripherals.

We did, however, just upgrade the A/V in out public meeting room to all HD stuff. So, that was cool.

Back
Top Bottom