I want to use that Vt. registration deal on a CB125 I just bought..

grcamna5

Over 1,000 Posts
I just got a 'rusty' ole bike from a guy up in NY. off CL,bit's n' pieces.. but 90% there.The man isn't the last registered owner,it was an abandoned bike at one of his buddies rental houses or something.
I'm in PA. & don't reside in VT.,have any of you done the VT. reg. thing out of state? How did it work for you ?

Yup. Super simple. Just make sure you talk to your notary in PA first to explain the registration/plate is all Vermont has. No title to be had. Some notaries will give you a hard time or just don't know what to do with the paperwork.

Again, just MAKE SURE you talk to your notary (or whomever will be doing the final transfer for you) to make sure that it'll work. PA is tricky at times due to their backwards title laws. It will work, but your notary needs to know what's what.

I use VT all the time. Works like a charm. So far, Wisconsin hasn't given me any grief with the transfer and I have always gotten a WI title out of it.

Hopefully the guy in NY gave you a Bill Of Sale. You will need that.

One thing to point out or keep in mind- If your state gives you a hard time, just keep it registered with Vermont. There really isn't any reason why you have to transfer it back to your home state. Its totally legit to keep it registered with Vermont, while driving it around and insuring it in PA.

I was hoping to flip it but was wondering if I'd be able to w/ just the Vt. reg.?
possibly sell it out of state ?

VonYinzer said:
Again, just MAKE SURE you talk to your notary (or whomever will be doing the final transfer for you) to make sure that it'll work. PA is tricky at times due to their backwards title laws. It will work, but your notary needs to know what's what.

I spoke w/ my PA notary and he said they'll take the Vt. reg.

sbaugz said:
I use VT all the time. Works like a charm. So far, Wisconsin hasn't given me any grief with the transfer and I have always gotten a WI title out of it.

Hopefully the guy in NY gave you a Bill Of Sale. You will need that.

One thing to point out or keep in mind- If your state gives you a hard time, just keep it registered with Vermont. There really isn't any reason why you have to transfer it back to your home state. Its totally legit to keep it registered with Vermont, while driving it around and insuring it in PA.

I didn't get a bill of sale from the PO;couldn't I make up a 'special' one from one of my friends?
PM me if any of you can give me some 'friendly advice' :D

I called the man who sold me the bike and he's going to send me a bill of sale w/ his name on it even though he never had it registered,I hope Vt. doesn't care.

I'm pretty sure it's not necessary that the PO ever registered the bike, but did you register it (in NY, for a temporary tag)? Check with VT- for their application you may have to send a registration in your name along with the bill of sale.

iatethepeach said:
I'm pretty sure it's not necessary that the PO ever registered the bike, but did you register it (in NY, for a temporary tag)? Check with VT- for their application you may have to send a registration in your name along with the bill of sale.

I just bought the bike after travelling up to NY. from PA. where I live and never tried registering it yet.The PO is sending me a Bill of Sale in his name and as far as he knows it was a 'farm bike' that was never in the system or ever registered.

The VT application is online. I'd take a look and maybe give their DMV a call. My guess is you'll be OK so long as the VIN is legit.

VonYinzer said:
http://benboyle.com/blog/?p=16

I went onto this site and looked at the different forms and had some questions.
The forms for "create a bill of sale" and the one for ":calculate the fees" wasn't in there.. like they said it doesn't exist.. ?
Can any of you tell me what will work here? or is there another way to use this site or is there another link someone has that's easier to do this? I'm also still trying to figure out if i'll need to have someone do a visual verification of the v.i.n. # on the frame as i bought it up in NY. state and I live in PA. The man I bought it from told me the bike was bought yrs. ago by a guy who let his kid ride it on a farm for a short time and then just parked it & left it sit for yrs. and it was never in the system registered before.
I just want to make sure it doesn't get turned-down after I send the forms and Bill of Sale in to VT.

Back
Top Bottom