Yamaha rd350 Road Racer Liquid Cooled!!

Awesome. They are cheaper than when I bought mine. Very reliable and now you can get them with multiple ignition curves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

clem said:
Awesome. They are cheaper than when I bought mine. Very reliable and now you can get them with multiple ignition curves.

I bought mine about a year ago I'm guessing. The only bad thing I've heard is that it can be a bit of a pain to set the timing, but once it is set it doesn't wear and change like points

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HURCO550 said:
I bought mine about a year ago I'm guessing. The only bad thing I've heard is that it can be a bit of a pain to set the timing, but once it is set it doesn't wear and change like points

Its what im running on my RD. The hardest part is getting a dial indicator with a long extension so you can get it to your cylinder to find TDC. I managed to nail mine first try so im sure you can get it.

There´s a special dial gauge set on yambits with an adapter especially fit to clear with the fins...i think its 50 squid.

McMaster Carr has them. I put a setup together on the cheap. You'll dig it Levi. I'm thinking about buying the newer edition, put that on the 350 and use the static one on the Daytona. We'll see since the Daytona is becoming a money pit.

The only dificulty that I had was getting the rotor to not pull itself before I could lock it down. It's a damn strong magnet and right as it would be starting to seat it would turn itself with the magnet. It only took a couple of tries to get the hang of putting on and keeping it still before tightening it down. I should mention that I did not use the keyway. HVC sets theirs up to use that but I picked mine up from economy cycle. I'm sure Jordan can testify that once it's on and set, it's done!

Finally got the ardee back up on the stand, and the lc barrels fitted for mockup. I gotta get the pipes mounted before the radiator, then the radiator before the fairing and the list goes on. Been chatting with teazer and he looked at my pipes. With the port timing where it is I need to take about 5" outta the head pipe, which if I can do it right, will make them tuck under better for fairing fittment ect.
1af7ca264c85c2568b4a475773321aa0.jpg
cd929cd903c47e8e114f1fc9c2597f67.jpg
80f01b10c776037f2d04923944e351eb.jpg
67feb757d784a4d48ea2a41953e09781.jpg

If it were mine, I would probably get the bike running with the pipes as they are and get a sense of how it runs. Then pull out whatever length can easily be removed from the header and try it again and see if you like where the development is going. If it's going well and you want to take more out, go ahead and pie cut the header to get some more out of it.

Just because the software says that would be best, you are the guy riding it and it's you that has to like the power characteristics. If it gets to be too much top end and not enough down low for the way you ride, that's not a lot of fun, so take it in steps.

Its been back burnered, but not forgotten. In fact, I just moved it into short term storage at my uncles place in preparation to move to our new house lol. Ive been distracted by the impending move to the new house, our first baby on the way, dual sports and BMW airheads. This one will happen still, just more of a long term project.

Popeye SXM said:
Done yet?
Come on! we need more smokers on DTT lol

haha not yet. I keep making up excuses for not working on it, but money is the biggest hinderance right now. I need a couple "big ticket" items to get the motor back together. She hasn't been forgotten though

Hurco550 said:
haha not yet. I keep making up excuses for not working on it, but money is the biggest hinderance right now. I need a couple "big ticket" items to get the motor back together. She hasn't been forgotten though
This better not become a Roadrunner-type project.

irk miller said:
This better not become a Roadrunner-type project.

haha well this one is stored in someone elses garage, not in mine taking up room like the roadrunner was haha

"It aint eating no grass" as they used to say haha

Pulled this off the back burner again. Playing around with a set of 4.25 x17 and 3.50 x 17 warp 9 wheels and Ducati usd forks. A rear swingarm will have to be made or sourced to play well with that rear wheel. Nothing set in stone, but I may also have a line on a banshee motor. Like the last 4 years, nothing going to move quickly.

20201208_231456.jpg

20201208_231503.jpg

Do plan on keeping it twin shock or going to mono shock it?
Havent completely decided yet. Though I feel like if I am going to make a scratch built swingarm, I might as well go with a monoshock as well. I've mulled over a tz style setup, or possible an underslung one with a Harley softail style pull shock.

When you say TZ style, do you mean like a 75-80 long shock under the tank up to the steering head? That design was good in that it transferred the forces straight from back to front, but Yamaha had to widen the frame tubes and modify the tanks to make that work. Good compromise for a wet noodle frame, but it had issues. Depending on what size carbs and which manifolds you use, space gets a little cramped for teh carb tops as awell.

I would go with a top shock mount at the rear of the tank like an LC or vertical like an RZ. Or try a GS swingarm and linkage. I have a GS500 swingarm here somewhere. I wonder if that would fit in that frame? A common switch is EX500 suspension and wheels. Or try an FZR alloy swingarm for size.

Attachments

• DSCN5213.JPG
    DSCN5213.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 168
  • P1100034.JPG
    P1100034.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 160
Back
Top Bottom