What size do I need my cylinders bored to?

Classic5

Hi All,

I have a Honda Cl200 with low compression (110 Left and 120 Right) and after messing with it for a month I finally decided to bite the bullet and pull the engine apart. Well as I was afraid of, there was a considerable amount of vertical scoring in the cylinder walls and on the pistons themselves. So...I've decided to try and find a shop to bore out my cylinders.

I found a few kits that have over-sized pistons and rings that say they are .5mm over-sized or 56mm instead of the factory 55.5mm. Which brings me to my question. What specs should I be requesting from the shop doing the boring? Should I ask for 56mm or does it need to be something different?

This is my first complete rebuild, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Classic5 said:
Hi All,

I have a Honda Cl200 with low compression (110 Left and 120 Right) and after messing with it for a month I finally decided to bite the bullet and pull the engine apart. Well as I was afraid of, there was a considerable amount of vertical scoring in the cylinder walls and on the pistons themselves. So...I've decided to try and find a shop to bore out my cylinders.

I found a few kits that have over-sized pistons and rings that say they are .5mm over-sized or 56mm instead of the factory 55.5mm. Which brings me to my question. What specs should I be requesting from the shop doing the boring? Should I ask for 56mm or does it need to be something different?

This is my first complete rebuild, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Take the pistons with you to the shop. Any shop worth their salt will match the bore to the size of the piston with proper clearances. If the shop says that they don't need your pistons, find another shop.

If you are willing to ship, I HIGHLY recommend mototech USA in Mansfield ohio. The guy who runs it (chris) is outstanding AND experienced. He also still only charges $35 a hole, which is cheap these days, especially for what I consider grade A work. His number is 419 512 3588. Leave a message if he doesn't answer. He is old school like that lol

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom