Old Member. Old Bike. Finally Started.-77' CJ360T--PICS!!!

trek97 said:
ALL THAT AND YOURE GONNA WELD A HOOP OR SOMETHING ON THE FRAME?!?!

Ridable on Sept 8th?!?!

Yep you got no time to screw around!!! Get the coffee pot going!

Be sure to take plenty of pics! HA

dont forget to breathe, every now and again!

I know im crazy! haha seat and hoop are last, if i have to bolt a piece of wood and some foam there for the ride on the 8th i will! and then just finish it after haha

duggyb said:
I know im crazy! haha seat and hoop are last, if i have to bolt a piece of wood and some foam there for the ride on the 8th i will! and then just finish it after haha

ANd you have actually INSPIRED me to GET OFF MY ASS! I was going to wait til winter for this project...I am now posting a pic to my own thread...making a custom exhaust for the addition of rearsets to my bike...Before Barber festival. mid Oct.

OK OK you aint got time to be messing around here...NOW GO GIT YUR ASS PULLIN WRENCHES.

Resurrection?? I think so. Well I will say I never made the ride on Sep the 8th haha, needless to say the bike never moved from its last spot until the last couple days.

Progress is rolling again.

Started painted odds and ends today like brake pedal and foot rests etc, as well as polishing up bolt ends and nuts so they don't look terrible.

Touched up the frame in a few spots.

Torqued cylinder head down, set timing, installed rocker cover, torqued, installed new points and set gap, adjusted tappets and set ignition timing at its baseline.

Began my carb mockup.

2014+-+3

IMG_20140301_190645.jpg

IMG_20140301_191001.jpg

Thats the progress so far folks.

oh, when you said ready by Sept 8th, I didnt realize you meant 2014.

She looks as good as ever, glad to see your back on her, bud.

Well did some more work today.

Ended up taking the clutch cover back off and doing crazypj oil mod to the piece inside for increased flow
u9yba3e6.jpg

I had some over spray on the cover as well I sanded off and re sprayed.

Also tightened up all of my motor mounts and attached my ground and tach cable.

I then mounted up my carbs and built my DIY throttle cable by cutting and soldering it. Carbs fit nice and look great. Just waiting on my pull style chokes. Also may change my throttle setup. Not sure I like it.
du4ygyhy.jpg

nyhe5uhu.jpg

I then proceeded to chop off my frame some more and start mocking up my rear hoop to get a rough idea. I hope to be welding this on soon.
e2a7arub.jpg

ubehy4yd.jpg

And I leave you with a quick inspiration shot.
e8eja4yj.jpg

asemumy4.jpg

SHE FIRED! Todays the first time it has ran in over 2 years. Such a nice smell and sound to have haha. I just got it fired on the old electronics for now(will switch to the Antigravity and Kohler regulator soon. It fired up in about 3 to 4 kicks so I assume my timing and such must be pretty close or bang on. And now that it has fuel through the carbs it fires on first kick.

I cant really see how well it idles as I don't have a proper throttle yet, I was just pulling on the cable to get it running.

At what I would say is "idle" rpm I will get some inconsistent popping and blueish/orangish flames coming out the exhaust(keep in mind I have no mufflers right now and its just straight pipes that end right under the motor(as seen in previous pics)

im just a little concerned is this a rich or lean condition usually?

VIDEO of how it sounds, couldn't capture the flame easily.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152091739338424&l=3430136272118793983

Thanks
Dustin

little update, took one more quick look at it before need to head out to do some stuff.

realized my pipes were leaking bad(forgot copper o rings....DOH) anyways put those on and snugged up, so the blue flames seem to have disappeared now that I fixed the exhaust leaks, I still have a light leak on one side I will have to try and snug up(I can just feel it with my hand)

bike seems to SOUND ok but I pulled the plugs after holding it at 1300rpm for about 30 seconds and then killing it and I got one black(riders right) and one that doesn't appear to be burning fuel at all(riders left). But it doesnt sound like its running on one. Plugs are brand new NGK BR8ES

20140415_200457.jpg

Plug color when the engine isn't under load doesn't mean much. Expect it to be black. The white one is cause for concern though. I'd be willing to bet you're not firing on that cylinder.

Sonreir said:
Plug color when the engine isn't under load doesn't mean much. Expect it to be black. The white one is cause for concern though. I'd be willing to bet you're not firing on that cylinder.

could this be timing?

Not unless it was VERY far off. I'd put my money on the carbs not being synced. On the 360, if the carbs are far enough out of sync, one butterfly valve will fully close and prevent any air or fuel from entering that cylinder. The other one may run just fine.

If you can get the bike to idle for a minute or two, feel the exhaust pipes and I'd be willing to bet the one with the white plug has a cold pipe.

Sonreir said:
Not unless it was VERY far off. I'd put my money on the carbs not being synced. On the 360, if the carbs are far enough out of sync, one butterfly valve will fully close and prevent any air or fuel from entering that cylinder. The other one may run just fine.

If you can get the bike to idle for a minute or two, feel the exhaust pipes and I'd be willing to bet the one with the white plug has a cold pipe.

The bike is running VM30s and according to finger feel they feel pretty close to being synced. And they are both opening when I pull the throttle cable.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

OK... that does change things a bit, but it still might be worth testing to see if the one side is cold at idle.

You have checked the carbs have the same pieces both sides and the float levels are identical?

crazypj said:
You have checked the carbs have the same pieces both sides and the float levels are identical?

I did not, they came off a members 350 here and he left them as is when he shipped them to me. I will pull them apart and check over it, I know I was getting flames out both exhausts when it was running with the exhaust leaks before, so I feel like that one side was firing but I will check again tonight and see, maybe the plug cap was not on perfect or the coil is not sending spark all the time.

I will also tear the carbs apart and check jets/such.

ok after looking over the bike i think it was just a loose cap on the spark plug because it seems to be firing fine for the most part.

both pipes got hot, and both plugs came out the same soot looking black.

I only took it up to about 4000RPM but what I noticed was if I tried to hold it at about 3000 or 4000 it had a bit of a stutter.

I understand its not under load and I am waiting on throttle parts before I can really actually put it under load and see how it is.

I am wondering though what most guys do when they switch to Mikunis for the Fuel/Petcock setup.

I rigged up this currently but I really don't think it is the best option, I also don't know if it offers enough flow. Plus it leaks right now haha(I know it has no clamps yet)
20140416_200215.jpg

I only just noticed how much the Mikuni needle holder looks like a Pacman ;D
I made new tops for the 32's on XS650, can't find the pics at present though
Found a pic but not the one I was looking for. This was to show pull up 'choke' on right carb and 'stock' lever on left carb.
You can see the flat tops and custom adjusters I made though
Mikunichoke3.jpg

Considering you have a air bubble in your fuel line you really need to figure out how to run those lines better.

The current way just will not work very well.

There isn't a good way to run fuel lines.
Stock carbs have fuel inlet at the bottom, VM has fuel inlet at top
CJ has single outlet tap so you must use a 'T' piece

firebane said:
Considering you have a air bubble in your fuel line you really need to figure out how to run those lines better.

The current way just will not work very well.

+1 Bubbles can pretty much prevent fuel from flowing all together. Been there, done that.

Back
Top Bottom