An odd one. 82 kz750r1.

Re: An odd one. 82 kz750r1. Brat cafe.

Shit, I was up to no good with a hopped up 350f, I'm even heavy handed on the 160. On a 1 liter forget it!

canyoncarver said:
It's been said, once you go liter, you don't go back. All the control is in your right hand man. I've ridden an 1100 as my regular ride for 17 years!

On the other end of the spectrum, I've pretty much stopped riding my 1100 in favor of my two 100s. Ha ha. The back roads and trails I enjoy riding the most are too much like work on a big bike.

jag767 said:
Shit, I was up to no good with a hopped up 350f, I'm even heavy handed on the 160. On a 1 liter forget it!
iatethepeach said:
On the other end of the spectrum, I've pretty much stopped riding my 1100 in favor of my two 100s. Ha ha. The back roads and trails I enjoy riding the most are too much like work on a big bike.

You both need to keep the CCs but ditch the valves :)

If I were to own a sport bike an r6 or something 750ish would be about right. But not today that's for sure. A customer through my shop just gave me a raggity old Yamaha 175 2 stroker thats complete and a set of wheels, tank, headlight, frame, and fenders from a small cc Harley. The frame has an oil tank built into it. Not entirely sure what model but I think it might be stuff from a sprint? I have a hard time saying no to free I guess.

Busy as always. Went down to MotoGp at Circuit of the Americas in Austin Texas again. Good racing was seen!

Also went to the Handbuilt Motorcycle Show that Revival puts on. Amazing things to be seen as always.

Craig Rodsmith's turbo guzzi was my favorite for sure.

34300312811_54cce189de_b.jpg

Anything Maxwell Hazan builds it picture worthy. His turbo Ducati this year was wonderful.

34271669532_f56d0ed61c_b.jpg

I'm sure some of you will recognize the Bmw k75 Alpha bike. The entire bike is absolutely insane, the suspension design, steering articulation, and the rear set operation (which is controlled by your knees). It was a trip to try to wrap your head around how everything "works". Not practical at all to ride, but the design behind it is just nuts.

34300312031_47a5a3b4a9_b.jpg

34389696156_b22c92eca8_b.jpg

Colt Wrangler Lyons built this fresh little Honda CL175 for Bexar Goods in San Antonio. I actually got to meet him, super nice guy. Makes me want to build a tracker for sure!

34300311921_6732d1dbe4_b.jpg

Been working on mine some when I have time. The original tank I had was rusting some on the inside..I didn't realize how bad until I started stripping the paint and I realized there were rot pin holes developing. Seemed like it was going to be more hassle than it was worth. The oem tank also didn't have the clearance on the bars and forks I was wanting. Oh wells! I ended up going down to Ty's motorcycle salvage, which is conveniently 5 blocks from my home. I gave him the Benelli/Harley 250 parts I had acquired for free in exchange for some credit. I ended up getting a Honda cx500 tank that was completely straight and rust free. It had a shape I could appreciate so I relocated the front tank mounting points and it seems like it will work out. Still need to sort out a rear mounting point. I also welded in a filler plate to smooth up the back of the tank. I'm sure I'll get a talkin to from someone about not having "the right tank" on it. ::)

I also didn't quite get the right length on the rear loop the first time I did it. So I shortened it up a little bit and welded it on. Think I finally got the right shape to the frame now. Going to build a seat pan and figure out some mounting points for it. After that I'll be moving on to primering/painting the frame, tank, and a few misc items.

34431269035_2c6bdb587f_b.jpg

33589168394_9f1c04ca96_b.jpg

So.. how much space between that loop and your tire ? Is it just the angle? The one you referenced has a kick up in rear.

The first picture it was not welded in place. It was on the frame lugs and taped in place. :p

There is about 2.5 inches between the tire and bottom of loop.

Coopacoopacoopa said:
The first picture it was not welded in place. It was on the frame lugs and taped in place. :p

There is about 2.5 inches between the tire and bottom of loop.
ouch, not a good idea.
You'll be rubbing your tire against the hoop.
Remember that 2.5 inches will already be down to 1.5 inches onces you sit on it. Then that 1.5 inch has to withstand speed bumps and pot holes and acceleration. :-X

The shocks aren't original to the bike, and the spring rates are way stiff. With my wife sitting on it, and me jumping up and down trying to compress it I can't get the rear end all that close to the hoop. They're also 12.5 inch shocks. From what I've read the stock 82 KZ750R1 / GPz750 length is 13 5/8" and unsprung length is 14 3/4.
Couldn't I just run the factory length for a little more clearance?

Coopacoopacoopa said:
The shocks aren't original to the bike, and the spring rates are way stiff. With my wife sitting on it, and me jumping up and down trying to compress it I can't get the rear end all that close to the hoop. They're also 12.5 inch shocks. From what I've read the stock 82 KZ750R1 / GPz750 length is 13 5/8" and unsprung length is 14 3/4.
Couldn't I just run the factory length for a little more clearance?

Altering the original frame geometry by changing shock or fork lengths will change the handling. Sometimes for the better, more often for the worse, even dangerously so on some setups. Getting proper rear loop to tire clearance by changing shocks is not the way to do it, especially if the shocks are sprung wrong in the first place. One way to check clearance is use a ratchet strap, remove one of the shocks and then compress the tail with the strap until the shock bottoms out. If you still have any clearance after that, you are golden, if not, you'll end up hitting the loop at some point.

If it was me, I'd get some proper rear shocks at the right length and spring rate, then deal with fixing that rear loop with a kick up as it really looks like it would help on your bike.

canyoncarver said:
Altering the original frame geometry by changing shock or fork lengths will change the handling. Sometimes for the better, more often for the worse, even dangerously so on some setups. Getting proper rear loop to tire clearance by changing shocks is not the way to do it, especially if the shocks are sprung wrong in the first place. One way to check clearance is use a ratchet strap, remove one of the shocks and then compress the tail with the strap until the shock bottoms out. If you still have any clearance after that, you are golden, if not, you'll end up hitting the loop at some point.

If it was me, I'd get some proper rear shocks at the right length and spring rate, then deal with fixing that rear loop with a kick up as it really looks like it would help on your bike.

What he said.

Cleaned up the carbs some.

Before

37972355071_7d5e25164b_c.jpg

After

24121366738_43ab73b192_c.jpg

Couldn't turn down a good deal on a zx9-r front end. Going to change out the front tire for something that's not a 60 series.

24121372198_0e70175a0a_c.jpg

Stock steering stem pressed into the lower triple tree. Need to round up some odds and ends hardware.

24121371758_c4a3549f9e_c.jpg

I painted the frame and swing arm Audi Nardo grey. Tank and headlight bucket are painted Porsche Arena red pearl. I think it should make for a good color combination. Ended up with a little bit of orange peel on the tank and headlight bucket. Nothing a little wet sanding, cutting, and buffing won't take care of. Hopefully going to put a motor back in the frame soon.

24121372818_d263106f48_c.jpg

japstar said:
ouch, not a good idea.
You'll be rubbing your tire against the hoop.
Remember that 2.5 inches will already be down to 1.5 inches onces you sit on it. Then that 1.5 inch has to withstand speed bumps and pot holes and acceleration. :-X

I helped a friend "un-fuck" a kz750R1 a few years ago, I can confirm that even with the stock shocks a straight hoop will rub the wheel, as the previous owner found out when he ripped his whole fender off. We welded in a new hoop that was about 2 inches taller to clear the wheel. The rear wheel moves more than the shocks travel. The only way to reliably determine if it will hit is to remove one shock and then use a ratchet strap to compress the suspension till the remaining shock bottoms.

Love the paint! it matches the gold fork tubes nicely. are you going to put on stripes or decals?

doc_rot said:
I helped a friend "un-fuck" a kz750R1 a few years ago, I can confirm that even with the stock shocks a straight hoop will rub the wheel, as the previous owner found out when he ripped his whole fender off. We welded in a new hoop that was about 2 inches taller to clear the wheel. The rear wheel moves more than the shocks travel. The only way to reliably determine if it will hit is to remove one shock and then use a ratchet strap to compress the suspension till the remaining shock bottoms.

Love the paint! it matches the gold fork tubes nicely. are you going to put on stripes or decals?

Not only will the hoop rub against the wheel, the wheel may rub against YOUR hoop. :)

24557582098_dcab805298_c.jpg

Rocky Mountain Kawasaki for the win! They had this on the shelf.

38372807176_6ab885419f_c.jpg

Progress.

In the process of electrical work. The alternator-->rectifier wiring was previously hacked up pretty bad for some reason. I know I need diodes in the system, and I quickly glanced around for them and didn’t see anything. Where do they live? Sort of integrated near the windings inside the alternator case?

the wiring is real simple, just 3 yellow from the alternator to the r/r, those triangle/square symbols show bullet connectors, not the diode symbol.

Attachments

• Z750-R1-US.jpg
    Z750-R1-US.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 267

That's the exact same diagram I've been using. Makes sense that those are bullet connectors, makes the alternator replaceable without cutting/splicing things. And if that's the case, what is the symbol for diode? I'm looking over the diagram and not seeing any. :p

there are no diodes in the stock system. the diode symbol triangle points to a line, where as these point to a box.

Great! Thanks so much for the info there, saved me quite a bit of head scratching. ::)

doc_rot said:

Not sure exactly what the plan is yet, but the tail end will be sorted eventually.

No plan for decals or stripes yet. The Honda tank emblems won't be put back on. Was almost thinking about making my own tank emblems out of polished copper or brass.

Back
Top Bottom