Kz400's

RobbyD

Where these bikes just not that popular?

I just sold my cb550 cafe bike to build a brat styled bike so my wife can ride on too. I picked up 2 kz400's (one with locked up motor and a title, the other bike runs with no title). They seem to be.... Ok??little bikes but you just don't see a lot of them being modified

Was just wondering what's up with these, they seem to be the red headed step child of the vintage bike world.

They are quirky bikes. Parallel twins with a terrible exhaust note. They are a bit challenging to get jetted for anything other than a stock airbox which makes them unforgiving when things are amist. The older frames are rad, they are basically brat ready. I have a 440 and my frame sucks. It's non symmetrical and has a silly bend in the center that requires essentially complete cut and rebuild. Would I ever recommend one to someone? Nope. I don't know what it is but they are just boring. I would rather have another 550.

looks like we are both on about the same paths as far as Bikes go, jumping from a cb550 to a kz

I'll rock the kz bc its what I have and I got what I think was a decent deal on the pair, plus I think it will be fun/challenging stepping outside the Honda box.

I don'care for the LTD frame either. But the engine and performance is in line
with the KZ line. That being 91 h.p./litre for the pre "80 machines and 93 h.p.
for "81 and later. Even though the intake valve timing is retarded 3 degrees
compaired to all other KZs. ( 113° centerline vs. 110° ).

As stated, the frames suck, engines not that great, carbs are touchy and OE parts are hard to find. I really had to stick with my vision in my head because so many times I wanted to stop and move onto something else. But I stuck with it and I have a bike that I am happy with and I can call my own. And to say that there won't be another KZ440 LTD around like mine is a neat feeling.

And the 2-1 with shorty stainless muffler sounds good IMO. Stock they sound odd.

20141022_183313_1 by MBCo, on Flickr

IMG_20140906_112158 by MBCo, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom