Bikes been down so long the laws changed!

rays650cafe

No quarter given, none taken.
In the time that my bikes been busted, 3 major laws have passed in my state. The one that I like best is the one that says that I can run red lights if I have to wait a full green cycle.(If it's clear that is? :eek:)

That one is happening in a lot of places, bikes aren't dense enough to trigger the sensors installed in the ground at a lot of lights so they will never change for you. So if you wait for a full cycle and it doesn't change, you get to go if safe without getting a ticket, which is good. Now if we can get lane splitting legalized and filtering we would be way ahead of the game! ;D

Isn't lane splitting legal in some places? I was thinking in like LA or somewhere they do it to encourage more motorcycle traffic.

In USA just California is legal and only because there is no law making it illegal. In Canada, not legal in any province as far as I know but in the UK and Europe it is legal in a lot of countries and make traffic congestion a non issue for any bike/scooter rider. I know when I pedal biked to work I could get there in the same time as in a car as I could filter to the front of all the cars at every red light, they would blow by me and then get stopped and I would catch up just in time for the light to turn green, now imagine the same thing only being able to stay in front right after filtering and filtering the next light and so on and you can get through a city in half to a quarter of the time, also sitting at a light between lanes on a bike is safer from being rear ended. The biggest hurdle in NA is educating car drivers that you can't cut off a bike just because they can filter and you can't and that bikes have the same rights as cars. I have seen folks get pissed off at me on my mountain bike when I pass them on the side at a red light.

Maritime said:
The biggest hurdle in NA is educating car drivers that you can't cut off a bike just because they can filter and you can't and that bikes have the same rights as cars. I have seen folks get pissed off at me on my mountain bike when I pass them on the side at a red light.
I've been run down from behind by a car and a van hit me from the side to knock me out of the road. People are assholes in the US when it comes to bikes. Fortunately, they've gotten better with bike lanes, but even they are often ignored.

Sure would be nice!
If you do it here people try to kill you.
The other day I got stuck in traffic on the interstate, steady speed about 3 mph. My xs650 won't idle that slow, so I was constantly stopping and starting and my bike started to overheat. So I hopped on the shoulder and just idled along at about 5 mph. Bad call. Some douchebag in a semi decided to be the bike police and pulled on the shoulder beside me funneling me into the ditch. Luckily it was shallow and I didn't dump it.

People are such assholes.

Sonic I had to do the same thing in CT around Hartford but luckily no one tried to kill me, MY GL wasn't charging at Idle and was getting hot so I hopped on the shoulder and rode along slowly, got to the head of the traffic and it was a multi-car pile up, the cops waved me through and I rode away from a few thousand cars stuck 5 lanes wide LOL. I was worried the cops would be mad but I was ready to explain I needed to cool my bike and charge the battery, if I shut it off it wouldn't have had the juice to start.

SONIC. said:
Sure would be nice!
If you do it here people try to kill you.
The other day I got stuck in traffic on the interstate, steady speed about 3 mph. My xs650 won't idle that slow, so I was constantly stopping and starting and my bike started to overheat. So I hopped on the shoulder and just idled along at about 5 mph. Bad call. Some douchebag in a semi decided to be the bike police and pulled on the shoulder beside me funneling me into the ditch. Luckily it was shallow and I didn't dump it.

People are such assholes.
I've done this same thing several times and I can tell you one thing if some asshat did some shit like that I'd slash the tires on his truck or gracefully rip off a mirror or something and ride away anyway. Some people think they are the master of the roads and how dare you pass them or drive smarter. I'm actually a really nice guy but when people pull out there douche bag card I go into overdrive and become an even bigger asshole.

Midwestgl500 said:
I've done this same thing several times and I can tell you one thing if some asshat did some shit like that I'd slash the tires on his truck or gracefully rip off a mirror or something and ride away anyway. Some people think they are the master of the roads and how dare you pass them or drive smarter. I'm actually a really nice guy but when people pull out there douche bag card I go into overdrive and become an even bigger asshole.

I actually got back on the road pulled in front of him and stopped. Sat there for a solid 5 minutes flipping him the bird and listening to music. He tried to go around me and I just moved over. He was livid.
So was everyone else on the stopped interstate haha so it was a real asshole move but what can I say fucker could have killed me.

Back
Top Bottom