Suzuki GR650 Scrambler/Tracker - The Strangler!

Running the cord into the house from outside should make even the most fascist home owner association happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did the shock work out for this in the end? I am thinking of doing a similar swap but keen to know if you came up with a solution for longer travel?

The saga continues. Life's been challenging since the move, meaning there hasn't been much time for the project. I haven't fit the shock yet as I need to custom machine a hat spacer to make it work. With my new job, I have lathe access, so I should be able to do that. In fact I need to get my ass in gear and get the project done now that I have welder power and my garage is sorted. I'll see if I can't post some update photos tonight. This might be just the motivation I need...

Eagerly anticipating your updates, Joe! My Tempter has been languishing for 3 years now (since my daughter was born) and I, too need a kick in the pants to get it done!
Of course, it doesn't help that I've acquired to cb750's (a '79f and a '81c) from my father-in-law that both run...

Here's a few shots of the bike as it stands. The strategy now is to get it complete and running before tackling phase 2, fuel injection.

view

view

view

There are many things left to do, just off the top of my head:

Trim back tubes on frame hoop
Make seat mounting brackets
Make muffler mounting brackets
Paint and wrap exhaust
Clean and rejet carbs
Mount rear fender
Install new stator
Rewire entire bike
Mount front plate
Mount front fender
Paint forks, side covers, and valve covers
Deal with oil leak at cylinder base
Install new sprockets and chain
Install new brake pads
Clean and paint tank
Install rebuilt petcock

I'm sure I'm missing something, but those are the biggies. I'd better get moving!

Hey, what gives? Where are my pictures? What's the leading theory on picture insertion in the forum these days?

I was able to make it happen earlier this morning...took me a few tries though, and I ended up posting a bunch of doubles.
I used the old, irritating-to-others method of just tacking them to the post as attachments (as opposed to linking via a photo-sharing app: I've never had luck making Photobucket work with my phone).

Let's try this:

Apologies for all of the crap in the foreground. Anyway, you can see the 17's front and back with a textured powder coat. You can also see the front light mounted, but the seat is in a box.

Hey! Wondering if this thread is still alive. i love what your doing, ive got a gr of my own that im trying to resurrect right now. I was wondering if you know anything about using pod filters?

Kolby198 said:
Hey! Wondering if this thread is still alive. i love what your doing, ive got a gr of my own that im trying to resurrect right now. I was wondering if you know anything about using pod filters?

Hey there and welcome to DTT!

Generally speaking, the CV carbs on Tempters, DOHC CB's etc. Don't really get along well with pods. A few folks on here have had luck switching to round-slide or flat-slide direct pull carbs but putting pods on CV's will result in driveability concerns and infinite tuning headaches.

Still working on it, haven't made much progress as of late. I had planned on using pods with long runners to try to smooth out the airflow some, along with a rejet. But it remains to be seen if this will work out well. My original plan was to fuel inject, but I want to finish the build and get it running again before going that far. If the carbs end up being a nightmare, I may punt and do the injection (it's a different nightmare I guess...).

Hey everyone, I'm new to DTT and I also have just purchased an 84 tempter!! This is my first bike and so far I love the look of it. There is few problems that need to be fixed for safety. 1. fork seals 2. chain needs to be tightened (may need new sprockets and chain,it looks like the adjuster on swing arm is almost as far as it can go 2 notches left ) 3. Need turn signals in front and replace the rear broken ones (which I've replaced all 4 but now can't figure out the wiring from 3 wire to 2 wire in the rear) I would love to be able to transform this bike to make it look as close to naked as I can. I live in a small town called Midland about 1.5hrs north of Toronto incase anyone is wondering.

I know where Midland is! Welcome to DTT Chris, from Kitchener (about an hour west of Toronto).

Swing on over to the Introduction section and introduce yourself.

Well been riding the bike to work and saving some money on gas. But my carbs are a little screwed I need a good reccomendation for a carb kit including a needle jet for this here bike. I seen one called 6sigma but it doesn't come with a needle jet and I can't seem to find that part anywhere. Anybody have any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Hoping to revive this thread. I'm loving this project and want to see if it's still going. I have a GR650 and plan on doing a similar build to it. I'm new to DTT, so I'll jump over to the intro section, but this thread is what made me register.

You are asking on a thread that has not been updated by the OP for nearly 2 years...

Back
Top Bottom