May be buying 2 RD200's for the winter build season

Maritime

Over 10,000 Posts
Ok so was looking at the local KIJIJI and found 2 1973 RD200's for sale close (2.5 hours away). One minty with a bad crank, one rough with a good crank/motor. Dude was going to swap the good motor to the better frame/wheel/tank bike and make one out the two, but ran into time/title/$ issues for he is selling the lot for $225. Here is the deal. I want one of them to make a fun back roads 2 stroke out off, and my buddy's 15 yr old wants one to build to be ready to move up to it from his current DT50 in year. So how hard is it to get motor parts for these. I know they are not a popular as the 250's were etc. but if parts can be had I think the fact that his dad is a lawyer and we may have found a way to get titles with minimal cost and frustration, and he has to go to the very town the bikes are in for hockey next weekend I will pay half and take one, he gets one for his son and I help him build it as I build one for me. I can make any other part I need work from another bike, but the motors I need a crank, seals, maybe pistons. I haven't started searching but I know there is some folks here that know if it is hard or not to find the important bits. Buy em or wait for another 2 stroke to come along. I will not have a lot of $$ to buy expensive parts.

Cheers

Maritime

Engine parts can be hard to come by and when you do they can be expensive. Moreso than the 350 by a long shot. The 200s are super fun bikes, but didn't sell well in the US really. Not sure about up north where you are. When I had mine, I had a hard time locating some basic refresh parts like cables and whatnot. Had to order several parts from England. As long as the crank itself isn't damaged it can be rebuilt, but again... Not cheap. Using the two to make one bike would probably be the only way to go about it without dumping a bunch of cash into the project but even then, be prepared to spend.

Thanks Mike, I remember you saying that, I have just scoured ebay and a used crank X- UK by royal mail is 180 USD, Full gasket kit X - UK is 40 USD and about 10 to ship so 230 just to freshen motor if pistons are ok to use. So maybe best deal would be to get this and build one bike, then keep second for parts. History is one bike was bouhgt in 73 from Dealer, owner spun crank in 75, dealer took it on trade and sold the guy another bike and then it sat waiting to be fixed and never did get done. Second bike has 5-6000 KM on it and was in the shop for service, parked running and the owner never came back for it around 80-81ish, sat until about 2 years ago when the dealer closed his doors and had a yard sale. The guy who has them now bought them and about 5 other bikes and just doesn't think he will get to them. Dealer lost paper work for both frames but I found a way that being the original titling owner(dealer) he can sign an affidavite for "Lost Title" and my buddy can witness/legalize that and for 20 ea frame, get a title.

Crap, The more I google the worse it looks for parts finding. I don't want to restore but some parts are going to be needed to make them run. I can find barrels and NOS pistons and they are not too bad but what else would be unique to the 200 that I am missing? I even found clutch plates and a complete generator and points setup? I know these are a bit of a bugger to time right as well but I am stubborn and can Time my GL to run right and it is one of those hard to time bikes. Really want a good winter project, want it small light and 2 stroke, maybe I need to look for a DT instead.

Maritime i m currently doing a RD 250.

There is a guy in germany,he has nearly ALL parts for all RD s even discontinued ones for a reasonable price and he offers perfect service.

He knows every screw and bolt on RD's.

Parts are 90% original yamaha.

I know you are in the US but order a big big package with all the stuff you need and you'll pay less and invest less time then orderinh stuff from ebay.

The one other consideration Mike, is the size of the bike. You're a bigger guy than I am and I just fit. My brother in law Matt (from Mid Ohio) who's about your size couldn't ride it for more than a couple minutes without cramping up. They share the frame with the 125 and it's small. Even I had trouble and needed a break after 45 minutes or so.

Thanks guys. I think this may be better to pass on to my buddies son, both bikes. He is a small guy right now and his dad and mom both barely break 5' so the bike would be better for someone his stature. I will hold off for a larger 2 stroke for me. I want a smaller, lighter, fun bike to ride, I love the GL and will never give it up but it is a lot of bike for the back roads, I am breaking 90 MPH on roads with a 45 MPH limit and you get the same adrenaline rush out of a small bike at 50 MPH.

I would think that a DT360 or 400 would be perfect for what you want to do with it.

Yep, I started hunting, nothing to be had remotely close but one of those would be a good winter project. on another note I may not have any $$ for a project anyway, My POS started overheating last night and I checked the rad and overlflow, it took 2 liters of coolant and there is no signs of a leak so that may hurt the wallet. It also ate a set of brake pads in 5000 KM so I have a buggered caliper to deal with. I think I may just swallow car payments and get rid of this stupid thing. This is all just when I thought I got everything on it sorted!

Back
Top Bottom