Good news for TX500/XS500 owners

Darmstro

Been Around the Block
I've been trying to get ahold of Autocar-Electrical in the UK about reintroducing the Newtronic electronic ignition kit. Got this email today.

"The CKT-YAM3 sysyetm has not yet been re-introduced as the original kit had some fitting problems that we have not yet resolved.

Until the application list has been revised and elements of the system have been redesigned we will not be manufacturing this system.

However we are hopeful it will be re-introduced early in the New Year. Please check our Ebay shop around that time for a new listing of the CKT-YAM3."

There's still hope!

I'm not familiar enough with TX/XS twins, but can't you simply modify a DYNA S system backing plate to make it work. We modify and fit them to anything. Fits so far include:

CB160 crank mount (race only)
CB160 Cam mount
CB77 crank mount (race only)
GT750 Suzuki Triple uses modified stock points plate and 1.5 sets of DYNA pickups.

teazer said:
I'm not familiar enough with TX/XS twins, but can't you simply modify a DYNA S system backing plate to make it work. We modify and fit them to anything. Fits so far include:

CB160 crank mount (race only)
CB160 Cam mount
CB77 crank mount (race only)
GT750 Suzuki Triple uses modified stock points plate and 1.5 sets of DYNA pickups.

I wouldn't know where to start. I need bolt-on with instructions. haha

It's not rocket science, but it can be annoying trying to get all three cylinders to fire at exactly the same time. I had one slightly undersized points plate that time up fine but was sloppy, so today I made a new backing plate - identical to the old one and one cylinder is 1mm out. That sucks and when you realize that works out to only a degree or so, it starts to become a PIA.

Attention to detail is what makes bikes purr, so it's back to the drill and taps to get this one spot on. Of course I forgot that I swapped over two of the modules, so it's probably manufacturing tolerances that are screwing me up - See I know how to shift blame onto someone else....

Now if that ignitech programmable ignition system would arrive, I could be having way more fun developing advance/retard curves.

teazer said:
It's not rocket science, but it can be annoying trying to get all three cylinders to fire at exactly the same time.

Yeah, I could only ever get two of my cylinders to fire. ;)

You know, Boyer Brandsden used a kit for the KH250 Kawasaki for the Suzuki triples..... Takes a lot of the headache out.

...a kit of parts now available to make up XS500 electronic ignition from Newtronic (Autocars UK) Just had mine delivered yesterday...only proviso is that the timing rotor is supplied in two parts that have to be timed together yourself...shouldn't be too difficult........

I had contacted them a little while back and they said they are working on an updated kit.So did you just order it from Newtronics/Autocar recently? They don't show it on there website yet. I have been running one of these YAM3 kits for years and love it.

Got an email back from Newtronic today. They said it's still not available, but it's their next kit to go into repro. Won't be available for another 6 weeks or more.

This whole Newtronic YAM3 ignition availability thing is quite entertaining.I have about 7 e mails from them saying it will be available,this day,that day,next week ,in 2 days,blah blah blah.I still don't see where you can actually buy one??? ??? update:they are available as of 3-2-2012!

MMMM still cant find one and if i could what kind of $$ are they ?

Back
Top Bottom