Cafe racer v GSXR1000 K6

First..........Bought the patches......my CB750 Ko is in the IOM centenery parade so hopefully I can get the patch on SKY tv here in Europe. Anyway as I joined this forum some months back I started the cafe racer project but the project has hit a problem I bought a GSXR 1000 K6! Its amazing 168 bhp 160 Kg and handles so neutral, much better than Yamahas R1, however..... Although it is what most people would call the ultimate bike with clip ons and I live in one of the only places in the world that has both race track roads and no speed limit...it's not actualy interesting.
I could mod the thing or race it but I just feel drawn back to my cafe racer project. So see the attached pics. The engine has a 836 Wieso kit, a Dunstall high lift cam and a Honda hyvo crank from a Hondamatic 750. Its painted with http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=16847.0

See Satanic Mecanic site for this http://www.satanicmechanic.org/images/AutoStroker04.jpg for the Hyvo drive mod

Hopefully this will come together in the cafe this winter. It's gonna be something special with hand beaten alloy tank see http://www.thetankshop.com/

that also holds the oil and battery, Fireblade forks n brakes laced to black anodised alloy rims. I have 4 swoopy meggas from a factory race bike. I post as it comes together mean time look out for the patch on TV coverage of the centeenery IOM TT.

Motor looks nice, it's funny how we can buy whatever we want, but never get the same pride as building for ourself!!!

;D

.....G.....

That engine sounds like it's going to be a beast and it looks the business too? Which tank are you going to go with? Do you have any pics of your progress?

Thanx for link and advice on engine painting. It will come in very handy soon as I tackle the engine.

Has anyone had the Holts engine enamel on an engine for any length of time and can vouch for its ability to stay on properly?

I use the PJ1 brand "fastblack ceramic" engine coating and have great luck. Not too expensive and easy to get through most dealers.

.....G.....

Hey slart, I'll be over there in about a month. I'm staying in Kirk Michael, you anywhere near there? I'll have a bike for the full two weeks I'm on the Island so maybe we can meet up and go for a ride. I've planned this trip since last year and I intend to be quite busy while I'm there. To save a lot of writing I'll copy and paste an email that I sent to one of my friends describing my trip. Sorry, it's a bit on the longish side, but with all the stuff I'll be doing it's hard to sum it up in one paragraph.

My big trip is something I've waited for seven years to happen. In 2000 I went to the Isle of Man for the TT races as this is like the Olympics of motorcycle racing to me. Kind of like a pilgrimage to the shrine of motorcycle-dom.
This year is the 100th anniversary of the race and it just happens to coincide with my 50th birthday, sort of. I turned 50 in Feb, so the end of May is close enough.
I started planning this last last year, as from past experience it's not a last minute kinda thing to do. I spent a few hours on the internet alone just to get close to the dates I wanted for the Ferry booking last April. Then I had to wait until the end of Nov. to book a flight. Between the ferry and the flight I tried relentlessy to find a place to stay. I was supposed to stay with an old friend that I had met after 26yrs. when I was over in 2000, but unfortunately he was killed in a practise session in Scarborough, Engalnd last July. So I had no place to stay, I thought it would be a bit callous to call up Jess and say "how sorry I was to hear about Colin, but is it still OK to stay at your place for two weeks". Well after a couple of emails and phone calls Jess' parent offered to take me in, I was however really looking forward to hanging out with Colin again.
I then went in search of a motorcycle rental, because the last time I was there I stayed in a B&B in a small town called Port Erin which was 45min by bus from Douglas. Douglas is THE place to be in the evenings at the TT unfortunately for me, the last bus to Port Erin left at 11:20pm
Anyway, I searched evry possible site I could, but most were in or around the South end of England about 4hrs away from my sisters place. Finally I was just browsing an old bike forum and I found a link to a dealer that was giving discounts for rental to that forums members.
Still reading? A bit long winded but I'm very excited about this trip so I'm telling everyone (whether they want to hear it or not) all about it.
Now where was I....so now I've got a bike for three weeks (3 days with my sis, 2 weeks on the Island, then 3 days back with sis) and I don't even know what kind of bike it will be. The dealership has a fleet of "courtesy" bikes as well as trade ins and the dealer says he won't know what's available until the week before I arrive, but he assures me that it will be comparable to my 1200 Bandit.
So, with all that taken care of I figured it was also a time to really indulge in myself. Soooooooo, when I received an offer to get tickets to The Who in concert at the Peel Heritage Festival, I thought why not. But not just settling for regular tickets, I bought the VIP Package, private parking, private entrance, free Champagne and food, 5 rows from the stage, and after the concert the possibility of going back stage to "SHMOOZ" with the band, pictures, autograph's Oh Yeh!. Still, that wasn't enough, I also received an offer for a hospitality suite on the last day of the races. Again, private parking, preemo seats in the Grandstand, gourmet cooked breakfast and lunch, all you can drink too (I'll be riding so that's limited to two) an opportunity to photograph and get autographs of some of the top TT riders, past and present. This trip just keeps getting better, the dealer that I'm renting from also asked me to help out on their riders team. They are fully sponsoring a local prominent rider in his first outing at the TT, so now instead of being in the stands and just watching I'll actually be a part of the whole thing!!!
UPDATE 04/28/07
Well I just got off the phone and I now have a seat at a table for the Black Tie Dinner at the Villa Marina. I will be seated at a table with at least one of the Parade of Heroes celebrities and possibly two. There is also a Cabaret after the dinner, guess I'll have to pack my Tux!
Well, I think I've covered everything regarding my big trip. Sorry about it being "Short story" in length, but why use ten words when a thousand will do!

Cheers, Graham

Back
Top Bottom