1972 Yamaha R5

eddie747

I picked up this beauty just last night. The story is that it was built in 1975 but the tags expired in 76, so its sat in storage since then and looks like it was never even ridden. It has all the trick 70's parts on it, lockheed brakes, kim tab mags, koni shocks, bassani pipes, and dunstall bodywork. I couldnt be more excited with the bike and even more excited to get it back on the road and screamin!

c92eb65502afe56df0c839792b934926.jpg

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

Fantastic piece of history right there!
Great find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!! So rad man, it's like a time capsule

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am gonna start on it this week to get it running, with how clean it is i dont think it will take much work. Whoever built it back in the day did a great job and put a lot of time into it

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

That thing is sweet. I just finished a Dunstall GT750 Suzuki in bright yellow. Are those Basanni pipes? they are supposed to be the best street pipes for normal /spirited riding.

That body kit and fairing did not include a belly pan. The fairing stopped at the top of the crankcases.

Finally got to tearing into the bike, i didn't have spark but after getting the bodywork off the battery ground was off and i'm assuming its from 1975. The carbs are ultra clean and just need float bowl gaskets. The rest of the bike looks great except for dust and the plated frame will clean up gorgeous. If my local shop has the gaskets there is a good chance i could have it running this weekend.

8068d8c7daed16ff57a1d381ec0b71bc.jpg
d261758b3152484ea30a692794022e12.jpg

That carb is remarkably clean. Nickel plated frame too? Someone spend a small fortune on building that. I'd consider fitting new crank seals though just to avoid the inevitable melt down of old crank seals.

teazer said:
That carb is remarkably clean. Nickel plated frame too? Someone spend a small fortune on building that. I'd consider fitting new crank seals though just to avoid the inevitable melt down of old crank seals.
I 2nd that, they will for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the plan, just want to get it lit off to make sure all is good. Then since i already have the cases split i'm most likely going to drop in the 6 speed

Back
Top Bottom